Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: stock Tamiya 380s in a HBX Rockfighter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Question stock Tamiya 380s in a HBX Rockfighter?

Hey folks, I ordered two stock 380 Tamiya motors (for the grasshopper I think). (27turn -dunno, something in that range I'd imagine lol)

Found that the HBX Rockfighter has a 100A esc, only question is, it appears to be powerful enough to run the tamiya motors - but does it support motors with less turns?

I think I read somewhere the stock motors in the rockfighter are either 45 turn or 70 turn, can't remember which.

Is it safe to assume the esc can/will handle these motors?

I'll go delve some more, hopefully I can be sure of this one.
Have found that to crawl you don't strictly need such a high turn motor and I suspect that this vehicle will see very little crawling for a while yet anyway..........."Dad, it looks great but why is it so slow? - will it do donuts?"

"yeah....sorry son, it DOES LOOK like it should do donuts"

......or at least move with some vigour - that's kids for you, so the mission is clear, tune it up a bit.
SqueakyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: stock Tamiya 380s in a HBX Rockfighter?

I run the Tamiya Grasshopper motors in my Cliff Climber. Originally I ran a 60A Pro-Boats ESC and it was fine but had no brake, then I swapped to a Rooster crawler ... with that brake setting the car would do an endo flip if I hammered the throttle for a second and let go. I'm not sure of the turn on them (27 sounds and seems about right) but in a 380 MOA rig they are good for some wheel speed and have a fair bit of torque to them. They have good strong magnets in 'em.
100A should be no problem to turn a couple mild 380's ... my motors got warm but the esc was cold all day long (even with the 60A unit)
There's a couple vids in the link below that show how it runs (I have it geared pretty low IIRC I had a 9T pinion in at the time)
My Cliff Climber Update
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #3

Talking Re: stock Tamiya 380s in a HBX Rockfighter?

Hey thanks for the reply

Cool vids - the one of it doing donuts is pretty encouraging!!!

You mentioned the pinion being 9t - the motors I ordered have the stock set pinion on them, dunno what tooth though, will have a look in a little while.

If I was to use the existing esc - couldn't I just trim the throttle forward slightly to counter-act the drag brake kicking in?

Anyway,I decided to give myself another out so to speak, just in case.

I ordered two turnigy 30A LiPo compatible escs - going to wire the 2 ESCs to a single deans connector for the input and merge the reciever signal wires also, thus same signal and input sources for both escs. Obviously the output would be one esc for each motor.

That way I can use the orion rocketpack 2s 3000mah lipos we have.
Hopefully they will get it going!

Chime in if that sort of ESC piggybacking won't work....LOL - I don't see why it shouldn't...but I don't know.
SqueakyBum is offline   Reply With Quote

stock Tamiya 380s in a HBX Rockfighter? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
banebot 380s redneckjiujitsu Redcat Crawlers 3 01-06-2011 03:40 PM
My new TRACER chasis for RS10/ HBX RockFighter pelanas Redcat Crawlers 16 11-17-2010 05:51 AM
Duratrax 380s??? Santa Cruz Jeff Redcat Crawlers 2 03-12-2010 06:45 PM