Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin programming via HotWire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin programming via HotWire

Hi everyone! I'm going to install my dual Tekin FXR's in my XR10 rig, but I'm waiting on my HotWire to come in and I wanted to ask a question of any of you experienced with the FXR/HotWire system. I assume the HotWire plugs into the esc's wire that otherwise plugs into the reciever, right? With that as the case. Does the fact of the internal BEC power wire (red) of the Tekin FXR being cut (due to using an external CC BEC) have any effect on the ability to use the HotWire to program the FXR? I would assume that only the signal (white) wire is used in the programming process. Am I right on this or should the programming be done prior to cutting the red wire? I appreciate any good experienced feedback you could give. Thanks guys! Happy New Year!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tekin programming via HotWire

Well I do not know about the red wire being necessary but I do know that you dont need to cut the red wire you can Just lift the plastic on the connector and just slide the wire out that way you can still use it if needed.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I think you need the red wire to program.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You need the red wire to program the ESC's. I do what Krawler23 recommends.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
You need the red wire to program the ESC's. I do what Krawler23 recommends.
+2.....I NEVER cut wires, I just remove & insulate. The red wire is what powers the device, without it, you are SOL.......[not a good thing]
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
+2.....I NEVER cut wires, I just remove & insulate. The red wire is what powers the device, without it, you are SOL.......[not a good thing]
SOL for programming via HotWire perhaps, otherwise it's perfectly acceptable...the red wire needs to be removed when using an external BEC (CC BEC) because the BEC power is no longer provided by the esc. Glad it wasn't cut yet, but even if it was, it's a piece of cake to put a new 'J' plug on and restore it to its former glory. So nothing is FUBAR.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
SOL for programming via HotWire perhaps, otherwise it's perfectly acceptable...the red wire needs to be removed when using an external BEC (CC BEC) because the BEC power is no longer provided by the esc. Glad it wasn't cut yet, but even if it was, it's a piece of cake to put a new 'J' plug on and restore it to its former glory. So nothing is FUBAR.
Not everyone can do a new connector....thus I always state, "Remove the red wire from the ESC/RX connector, DON'T cut it."

This is always an issue when people run an external BEC direct to the servo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: Tekin programming via HotWire

You can still program the ESC via the Hotwire but you need to connect the main battery to power up the ESC.

Usually the ESC gets its power from the USB when you connect it to the Hotwire but with the red wire cut that won't happen. So just plug in the main battery power up the ESC and program it via Hotwire.

Next time don't cut off the wire, just pull it out of the shell or use a 3" aileron extension and cut its red wire leaving the ESC's intact.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Yashua

Yep , reinstall the red wire and program away . Also make sure both FXR's have the same firmware, if not update first and make sure everything is set the same on both esc's.
At first with my super I was'nt sure what to set the VC at and I set one at 3v. and the other at 3.3 v. and when the 3.3 battery hit the cutoff that motor stopped running. After setting them both to 3 v. both motors' would stop together even though the servos' still worked.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
You can still program the ESC via the Hotwire but you need to connect the main battery to power up the ESC.

Usually the ESC gets its power from the USB when you connect it to the Hotwire but with the red wire cut that won't happen. So just plug in the main battery power up the ESC and program it via Hotwire.

Next time don't cut off the wire, just pull it out of the shell or use a 3" aileron extension and cut its red wire leaving the ESC's intact.
Now this is a good example of an informative response without being condescending or bringing ridicule to the asker and trying to make them feel inferior or you appear superior lol . Thanks for the good info AreCee! Like I said, I didn't cut it, I was posing a question and doing a little research prior to doing anything like that (you know the old "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" or whatever). Seemed a fairly smart thing to do, right? Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Yep , reinstall the red wire and program away . Also make sure both FXR's have the same firmware, if not update first and make sure everything is set the same on both esc's.
At first with my super I was'nt sure what to set the VC at and I set one at 3v. and the other at 3.3 v. and when the 3.3 battery hit the cutoff that motor stopped running. After setting them both to 3 v. both motors' would stop together even though the servos' still worked.
Great info man! Thanks. I appreciate it. Especially about the firmware. I'll make sure I double check that first thing.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Not many Tekin hotwire program threads. My FX-R gets here tomorrow and I cant wait. I too run a BEC but I always just pop the connector out and shrink tube it till I need it.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yep, just connect a pack to the ESC and you are good to go!

Very good trick to know because I hate dealing with those damn servo connectors!

Another thing to note with this situation is that if you have a BEC soldered directly to the posts of the ESC sometimes it will not allow you to program via the hotwire even with the red wire in tact. In this case you will need to plug in a battery.

Also I have had good luck changing the setting on the BEC with the castle link by plugging in the battery so I dont have to pull one of the output wires.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekin programming via HotWire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekin hotwire help wolverine31 Electronics 25 02-23-2010 10:47 PM
Tekin Hotwire VeryBumpy Wisconsin 3 05-02-2009 08:09 AM