RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Balloons...How Reliable are they for WP? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/357346-balloons-how-reliable-they-wp.html)

AsILayDying 01-02-2012 05:53 PM

Balloons...How Reliable are they for WP?

Here is my dilemma , I have a MMP ESC and I'm using it on one of SCX10 rigs with a New Bright JK body. I don't have room for a RadioShack project box so I'm trying to figure out another way. I'm not worried about really running under water but need some pretty good splash protection. Anyone else have any ideas. I don't want to plasti dip the ESC. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks "thumbsup"

Stregone 01-02-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Balloons...How Reliable are they for WP?

A balloon should be fine for splash protection.

PhantomRS10 01-02-2012 06:45 PM

i balloned my esc and receiver and it held up good. i went under alot of water and it never failed. ran it that way for a good 8 months

dezfan 01-02-2012 06:49 PM

I balloon my electronics and zip tie the neck around the wires. I then add another balloon over the first and tip the neck again making sure to stagger the zip ties. Been completely submerged countless times w/o issue. "thumbsup"

thatguy 01-02-2012 06:57 PM

Cling wrap is amazing for splash proofing. Balloons works well, but can be a pain. Unplug the fan before you cut off the airflow.

War Pig 01-02-2012 07:10 PM

Non lubricated condoms. Electronically tested, easy to get your ESC into, very tough. I've been using them for years and have never had one fail (in my crawler) :mrgreen:. I do have four kids so take my advise for what it's worth.....

BigBaller 01-02-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Pig (Post 3481979)
Non lubricated condoms. Electronically tested, easy to get your ESC into, very tough. I've been using them for years and have never had...

:shock:...do NOT touch any thing Tim builds. :lmao:

Balloons are good. Condoms are great. I like the ribbed xl's with lots a lube. Zip ties are a must. (on both).

AsILayDying 01-02-2012 07:19 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies and putting my mind to rest. But now I feel like I might have some type of ETD (electronically Transmitted Disease) from WarPig. Oh well I guess if you put your truck there expect to come out dirty :flipoff:

Anyways, thanks and now I can go get some thicker balloons and start wrapping.

666 01-02-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Non lubricated condoms. Electronically tested, easy to get your ESC into, very tough. I've been using them for years and have never had one fail (in my crawler) :mrgreen:. I do have four kids so take my advise for what it's worth.....

Awww man....washing hands....:ror:

Some balloons good, some bad, I've had some crack and split, some too thin, some thick and great!

I have just doubled up sandwich bags and electrical taped the ends with good results.

Sometimes there is condensation though.

Stregone 01-02-2012 07:24 PM

If you have some silicone sealant or liquid tape you can zip tie the balloon around the wires, and then put a big glob of sealant right where the wires exit(get it all around and in between the wires), and then put another ziptie around the glob of sealant. Highly likely to be submergable, 110% splashable.

badhoopty 01-04-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

x2. i find magnums are wider and a little easier to get on... :lmao:

i gave up on finding non-lubricated ones... i havent had any problems with them lubed.

what i really like about them is if you have to adjust a setting on your esc or whatever, you can see the components underneath, and you can easily see if its dry.

TexasSP 01-04-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsILayDying (Post 3482003)
Thank you everyone for the replies and putting my mind to rest. But now I feel like I might have some type of ETD (electronically Transmitted Disease) from WarPig. Oh well I guess if you put your truck there expect to come out dirty :flipoff:

Anyways, thanks and now I can go get some thicker balloons and start wrapping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 3485572)
x2. i find magnums are wider and a little easier to get on... :lmao:

i gave up on finding non-lubricated ones... i havent had any problems with them lubed.

what i really like about them is if you have to adjust a setting on your esc or whatever, you can see the components underneath, and you can easily see if its dry.

I have always used condoms too. Easier to get on than balloons. If they are lubed I wash them out and pat dry with a paper towel. Never had an issue.