RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   how long do brushed motors last? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/357605-how-long-do-brushed-motors-last.html)

FordFixer 01-03-2012 08:04 PM

how long do brushed motors last?

I'm in process of building my scx10 and im new to scale trucks but not to Rc..i decided to go brushless because its what i have on hand, but im thinking about brushed. how long will a crawler motor last? meaning, how often does the Com get cut or the brushes need to be replaced? do the wear the same as say a 12 turn brushed motor?

Dneff13 01-03-2012 08:12 PM

Re: how long do brushed motors last?

Well my stock scx-10 motor 27t didn't last long but that is because the plastic fan broke, metal in the motor and ruined it.

Replaced it with a traxxas 12t Titan motor and I have been thru 3 of those in short order. So now I have HPI racing 15t.... We will see how long it lasts.

Reflection 01-03-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordFixer (Post 3484190)
I'm in process of building my scx10 and im new to scale trucks but not to Rc..i decided to go brushless because its what i have on hand, but im thinking about brushed. how long will a crawler motor last? meaning, how often does the Com get cut or the brushes need to be replaced? do the wear the same as say a 12 turn brushed motor?

Allot depends greatly on the quality of the motor, the way you use it and the voltage you run it at.

Most guys run 3 cell lipo's 11.1 volts.

Scale trucks, I'd guess an average weight would be 6-10 pounds. Comp trucks, probably 5-7 pounds average.

A good quality handwound motor will be balanced allot better and the comm will be cut allot truer out of the box, probably allot better brush and spring also. That'll help a motor last and perform allot better.

Cheapies like Integy motors work, most of us have run them at one point or another. I've had some that lasted a couple years or more. Performance was marginal when compared to a good handwound. Cheapie motors usually are thrown together quick, use cheap brushes and the comms are about as round as a potato.

One good place for the cheapie motors.... If you run in allot of mudd, dirty water and/or don't want to do regular maintenance on a motor, cheapies are your better option.

Charlie-III 01-03-2012 08:29 PM

FF, like anything, it all depends.

1-What voltage are you running?
2-Does it run through water/dust/sand/mud?
3-How heavy is the rig?
4-What is the gearing (overgeared tends to make a lot of heat)
5-Is it running on easy ground, or in binds/heavy loads?
6-How much timing is it running?

I would have to say, a 12T brushed will likely wear faster/require more maintenance than a 35T+ motor.

If it's kept fairly clean, minor maintenance is done, geared ~correctly, you should get a few years out of the motor."thumbsup""thumbsup"

For crawlers, brushed is usually the recommended route unless you are running a worm drive axle. Those tend to eat brushed motors very fast.:roll:

Also, the better the motor is to begin with (Holmes, Br00d, etc) the longer it is likely to last with similar maintenance.
In equal rigs/conditions, I would not expect a $7 motor to last as long as a decent handwound motor.

FordFixer 01-03-2012 08:56 PM

well i wanna continue using 2s cause i have so many and dont wanna invest into 3s right now, so i guess im gonna have to do some homework and see if i wanna stay brushless or try a brushed motor.

Charlie-III 01-04-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordFixer (Post 3484307)
well i wanna continue using 2s cause i have so many and dont wanna invest into 3s right now, so i guess im gonna have to do some homework and see if i wanna stay brushless or try a brushed motor.

Will your ESC support brushed motors??

FordFixer 01-04-2012 05:58 AM

sadly it wont, i would have to invest in that as well,thats why i have to think

Reflection 01-04-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordFixer (Post 3484764)
sadly it wont, i would have to invest in that as well,thats why i have to think

If you want a beefcake ESC for brushed motors, I'd recommend the Holmes Hobbies BRXL. Perfect ESC for any brushed setup in any car. It'll handle up to 6 cell lipo, any brushed motor and is tunable through Castle software so the setup options and adjustments are wide open.

For a brushed/brushless ESC, it's hard to beat the Castle stuff.

FordFixer 01-05-2012 07:39 PM

Well after looking thru all my stuff, i have 2 options.
#1 Tekin rs with a speed passion 17.5 brushless or
#2 slash brushed esc with a plain old 27 turn brushed motor (bushings, not bearings)

i wanna use the scx10 to just mess around with a little rock climbingbut mainly just terrain...which would be a better choice?