Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Your opinions on two servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #21

Default Re: Your opinions on two servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
I missed that but your right. The servo horn sticks out so far that it can't hit the screws because of the angle of the link. Moving the rod to the back side of the servo arm would help but a lower profile alum horn would be the best option. Look at the 3rd pic to see what tiny is saying.

Good eye newbie

Thanks Man !
tiny2085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I missed that but your right. The servo horn sticks out so far that it can't hit the screws because of the angle of the link. Moving the rod to the back side of the servo arm would help but a lower profile alum horn would be the best option. Look at the 3rd pic to see what tiny is saying.

Good eye newbie
I will admit I did not look at the pic's last night (I actually even missed the link , my bad).

tiny, based on the pics, I agree with you. As Sinister stated, changing the mounting point of the servo arm/horn & the steering link would gain more steering, then a longer arm would help.
Currently, the angles of the knuckle pivots relative to the servo attach point mean it's pretty much maxed out now.

Josh, you can see this by disconnecting the battery (so the servo has no power) and twisting the servo arm by hand. You can then move the link to the back side of the servo & try again. You will gain some more steering. At some point, you will run out of servo travel, then a longer servo arm will help but you may start hitting other bits.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Ok - I made three short videos of my steering in action. To recap, the steering mods so far are: homemade tie rod and drag link, aluminum knuckles, superglued servo saver, and CC BEC. Mods in route to my home are aluminum added caster c-hubs, an aluminum servo arm, and a 2s lipo battery. Here are the links to the videos:

steering video 1.AVI - YouTube
steering video 2.AVI - YouTube
steering video 3.AVI - YouTube

Thanks!!
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I think when you get your new servo horn your gonna be into the shocks and links. Let us know how it turns out
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think when you get your new servo horn your gonna be into the shocks and links. Let us know how it turns out
Ok, sweet. I'll be glad to let you know how things turn out. Also, someone above mentioned attaching the drag link to the back side of the servo horn. I can't do that now, but when the new one gets here I should be able to try that.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #26

thanks for the video! in video two when you manually reach your ideal steering, the tie rod on the hub that is turning into the axle is behind the plane that the servo is mounted on, lets say you would be at -5*. You will only ever be able to reach 0* in relationship to the plane that the servo horn is on, you can try to mount the tie rod on the servo horn from behind, which some one already mentioned, but it wont fit so, you can try making a steering arm on the knuckle that is pointed forward more (90*).
Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny2085 View Post
thanks for the video! in video two when you manually reach your ideal steering, the tie rod on the hub that is turning into the axle is behind the plane that the servo is mounted on, lets say you would be at -5*. You will only ever be able to reach 0* in relationship to the plane that the servo horn is on, you can try to mount the tie rod on the servo horn from behind, which some one already mentioned, but it wont fit so, you can try making a steering arm on the knuckle that is pointed forward more (90*).
Thanks for your ideas and input. I tried two things:
1) I did end up being able to mount the end of the drag link of the rear of the servo saver. I took the ball out of the link and just put the screw through the link (snug but not too tight). Doing this, the drag link attached to the knuckle arm a little in front of the end of the drag link that was attached to the rear of the servo saver. This didn't really add any more steering. Maybe a tiny bit, but that's all. Thanks for the idea though.

2) I fabricated a small, crude aluminum bracket. It's about 1" long x 1/4" wide (x 1/8" thick). I attached this frontwards and then backwards to the steering knuckle arm. I tried attaching the drag link in the very-forward position and in the very-rearward position. Again, no increase in the amount of steering.
I did a simple test with a compass, pen, and paper. I am beginning to think the only way to get the additional steering I'm looking for is a longer servo arm. I do realize this might lead to needing a stronger servo and CVDs. Do you guys agree? Is this the correct conclusion?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
2) I fabricated a small, crude aluminum bracket. It's about 1" long x 1/4" wide (x 1/8" thick). I attached this frontwards and then backwards to the steering knuckle arm. I tried attaching the drag link in the very-forward position and in the very-rearward position. Again, no increase in the amount of steering. (PICS PLEASE)
I did a simple test with a compass, pen, and paper. I am beginning to think the only way to get the additional steering I'm looking for is a longer servo arm.
try this, unhook the tie rod from the servo again, and cycle the steering by pushing and pulling the drag link only and see if you can move it farther by hand while on the same plane as the servo . Then also cycle the servo with out the steering hooked up to make sure that you do have the servo maxed out already.

I do realize this might lead to needing a stronger servo and CVDs. Do you guys agree? Is this the correct conclusion?

Thanks
thanks for the movies by the way !!!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Ok - problem finally solved! My rig has been on the workbench for the last week or two, and now it steers like a dream. Here is what the new parts list includes, in order to achieve this steering I was searching for:

-A Savox high torque steering servo (I think 277 lb / in), that also has more range.
-A longer, aluminum servo horn.
-A Spektrum Tx/Rx, so I can access the greater range of the servo, and fine tune how much range I need.
-A longer drag link, that has a bend in it before it connects to the steering knuckle arm.
-The servo is also mounted back a little ways.
-Added caster C-hubs, that use set screws to attach them to the axle so the screw heads are flush with the axle tubes.
-Inboarded the bottom control arms, and moved the shocks in a little too.
-Axial CVDs.

I think that's it! Time to rest the wallet.....and drive

Thanks all for your input and help.

Your opinions on two servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Opinions, Please XtrmTJ Newbie General 3 02-22-2012 01:01 AM
opinions on tower pro mg995 servos jedsled Electronics 8 05-03-2008 11:34 PM
need some opinions mrmaxxman 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-05-2007 11:03 AM