Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PL throttle issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 4PL throttle issue

hey guys...

after I read Harley's thread "Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help", but I still cannot make it happen

Well, I received my new 4PL radio last week, and I really want to try 4WS on my scale rig, so here are what I got right now, I got a new 4PL with R2104GF Rx, FXR ESC, 35t motor, 3s lipo, and front steering servo(7954) and rear steering servo(7955).

ok......I got two CC BEC with different voltage setup, one is 7.4v for Hitec 7954 in front, and one is 6v for Hitec 7955 in back. I run the CC BEC direct to the servo while the ESC BEC powers the RX, I did this way for both front and rear steering servo.
Then, I plug everything to receiver, and turn on my radio and FXR ESC. finally, it had green light on it after few seconds ,
However..........only front steering servo can be controlled, but no throttle at all.
also, I watched Harley's video and learned how to make 4WS setup, but the rear steering servo didn't work.

so, do I need to do some special binding with receiver ? I tried to push that "sw" from receiver few times, but still cannot get it works with throttle.......

Thanks a lot
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4PL throttle issue

A few things....

1) I dont believe you can use two bec's set at different voltages both plugged into the receiver. I would wire the one for the 7954 straight to the servo.
2) You need to calibrate the radio to the ESC. Turn the radio on, hold full throttle, then plug in/turn on the ESC. When it beeps, push to full reverse. When it beeps again, let it sit at neutral.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
A few things....

1) I dont believe you can use two bec's set at different voltages both plugged into the receiver. I would wire the one for the 7954 straight to the servo.
2) You need to calibrate the radio to the ESC. Turn the radio on, hold full throttle, then plug in/turn on the ESC. When it beeps, push to full reverse. When it beeps again, let it sit at neutral.
JH, the OP states he has each CC BEC DIRECT to each servo, thus not an issue (he is using the ESC BEC for the RX).

Yes, the ESC likely needs to be calibrated to the RX. If it has been calibrated, we need to look at other things.

As to rear steering, try swapping the servo's in the RX, does the issue follow the servo or is it the channel on the RX?? My guess it's RX related, probably programming in the TX.
If it seems to be servo related, check the BEC's, maybe one has an issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ahh....yep, I guess I should read more carefully.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

thanks guys.....

I tried to calibrate the radio to the ESC, and follow what u said here, but the RX got green light when I plug in the ESC to RX then turn on the ESC, so, I cannot calibrate anything....

Quote:
A few things....

oh yeah...I just check with both CC BEC, one is not working, but the other is good,
well, that is weird because both of CC BEC are new and I setup the voltage before I wire on FXR

ok...so if one of the CC BEC has issue, then I cannot calibrate the radio to the ESC, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
JH, the OP states he has each CC BEC DIRECT to each servo, thus not an issue (he is using the ESC BEC for the RX).

Yes, the ESC likely needs to be calibrated to the RX. If it has been calibrated, we need to look at other things.

As to rear steering, try swapping the servo's in the RX, does the issue follow the servo or is it the channel on the RX?? My guess it's RX related, probably programming in the TX.
If it seems to be servo related, check the BEC's, maybe one has an issue.
Quote:
Ahh....yep, I guess I should read more carefully.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Yashua

Do you have the manual for the FXR? If not here is a link to it;
http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/FXManual.pdf
This will tell you how to setup the FXR and then if you don't have the manual for the 4PL it is here;
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/4pl-2_4ghz-manual.pdf
It does sound like the radio and esc need to be calibrated though, and these manuals have it step by step.
Also you can set your radio to a differant model also, for a fresh setup.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscaler View Post
thanks guys.....

I tried to calibrate the radio to the ESC, and follow what u said here, but the RX got green light when I plug in the ESC to RX then turn on the ESC, so, I cannot calibrate anything....

ok...so if one of the CC BEC has issue, then I cannot calibrate the radio to the ESC, right??
I'm not following what you are trying to say in the first part about the RX & ESC.

As to the second part, the BEC inside the ESC is powering the RX, so you SHOULD be able to calibrate the ESC to the RX.

Did you set the throttle channel to "reverse" on the TX?? It's a common thing missed when people try to calibrate with a Futaba radio.
If the rig runs "backwards" after the ESC is calibrated, then flip the motor wires so it's correct.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscaler View Post
That sounds normal. The Rx should be green.

Now, unplug the ESC and follow the steps that I listed.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Those steps are for a Castle esc not a Tekin

It is outlined in the FXR manual listed above.

Basically you push and hold down the program button (on the left if the battery/motor post are away from you)

It will enter calibration mode and start beeping, I cant remember exactly but I think first is neutral so dont do anything...then forward and finally reverse.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Those steps are for a Castle esc not a Tekin
Damn.....again, I am not reading carefully enough. I think I need to stop working and go home for a while....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Alright....I looked at FXR manual and 4PL manual as well....
Actually, I used dead 3s lipo with I calibrated the FXR ESC to 4PL this afternoon, then I charged my 3s lipo(full charged), and tried again, but the funny thing was that I set 9.3v for lipo cutoff from FXR. But the throttle was not working when I have lipo cutoff setup from FXR, then I programmed with FXR again without lipo cutoff setup, then plug into RX with front and rear steering servo, then the throttle works well..... :(

But, I have been using FXR on my other scale rig since last year, and I don't have any issue so far like this...so does anyone know what I can do with this lipo cutoff issue???

By the way,
I have 4WS set up with winch now, but just need to figure out how I can deal with lipo cutoff setup from FXR....

Oh wait.....how can we get more steering turning (for rear steering) from 4PL, I dont know where I can deal with this setting from 4PL.

Thanks

Last edited by rcscaler; 01-07-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

alright...I got everything fixed already
thanks for all inputs from u guys...

4PL throttle issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dual micro sidewinder & 4pl issue bikerj08 Electronics 5 12-15-2011 08:10 PM
Help... I need somebody!! HELP... not just anybody!!! 4PL? JimmyJam Axial XR10 46 05-01-2011 05:17 PM
wierd throttle issue? CSaddict Electronics 7 03-25-2009 09:31 PM
Futaba 3PM Throttle Issue dacaur Electronics 0 02-16-2008 02:00 AM
Throttle issue Littledeuce Electronics 6 01-12-2008 11:28 AM