Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can Thunder AC680 charge a Hyperion Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Can Thunder AC680 charge a Hyperion Lipo?

Hi everyone. I was trying to use my brother's Thunder AC680 charger to charge my Hyperion G3 EX 3S 1100mah 45C Lipo battery and I found that the only port on the balance adapter board that fits the tap on my battery (a 5 pin plug) says "4S". My battery is a 3S and if I try to charge while plugged into this port, it gives a cell voltage error or connection error, or somthing like that, and halts the charge process (good to know the charger has some safety features to it). I went to my LHS and looked at some of the Hyperion balance adapter boards and they hook to the charger with 7 pins but the plug is much smaller than the one on the pigtail for the AC680 (which the guy said was the standard "XD" style if I remember correct). Does anyone know if the plug could be changed out so that I could connect a Hyperion balancer to this charger? Is it safe to do so? Or did I just find the downside in this charger (ie: Can't charge Hyperion batts )? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DiggyStyle; 01-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Can Thunder AC680 charge a Hyperion Lipo?

hmm, i have the Thunder 680 and about 6 different brands of lipos. all fit perfectly into the 3S balancing board.

Sounds like more of Hyperion proprietary thing as opposed to a Thunder 680 limitation.

I would think you could change out the tap to a new one.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There are 3 basic styles of balance ports/plugs.
All of them share 1 charactoristic, there is one more wire than cells. Thus a 3S pack has 4 wires to the balance port, this is the common side of all cells, the other wires are for specific cells.

JST/XH (IIRC) is also called an "Align" style of tap. You can get adaptors to mate any type of pack to any type of balance port. I believe www.CheapBatteryPacks.com has them as well as other vendors.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
hmm, i have the Thunder 680 and about 6 different brands of lipos. all fit perfectly into the 3S balancing board.

Sounds like more of Hyperion proprietary thing as opposed to a Thunder 680 limitation.

I would think you could change out the tap to a new one.
So I take it you don't have any Hyperion Lipos? It very well may be a proprietary thing, I wouldn't be surprised. But Hyperion Lipos are excellent packs, that's why I chose them. Changing the tap might be a way to go, but I'd rather find an adapter, I'm not sure I wanna tackle this one, I'm too new to Lipo technology and there's a lot of room for error as I've heard/read.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Can Thunder AC680 charge a Hyperion Lipo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What charger should I get Turnigy A-6-10 vs Accucel8 vs Thunder AC680 or other? nexgen91 Electronics 4 03-22-2011 08:15 PM
Lipo won't charge Serolf Electronics 4 02-19-2011 09:36 PM
Hyperion balancer plug to thunder power battery MOCRAWLER Electronics 6 10-14-2007 07:20 PM