Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Programming my Spektrum DX6i for 4WS on my Axial Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Programming my Spektrum DX6i for 4WS on my Axial Wraith

So I took the plunge and installed 4WS on my Axial Wraith (Note - the video is just a demonstration of my Wraith with 4WS, not anything about configuring the radio):

However I was initially completely lost as to how to configure/program my radio to achieve the behavior I wanted. What I wanted was three modes:

1 - independent steering (control front and rear individual on their own gimbal)
2 - 4 wheel cooperative steering on the primary gimbal
3 - crab walk on the primary gimbal

So after getting it installed and deciding how I wanted to use the radio, I went to work.

I have hooked up the channels as follows:

THRO => Winch
AILE => Front wheel streeing
ELEV => Throttle
RUDD => Rear wheel steering
GEAR => just provides power for my lights
FLAP => is just input for receiver power

With this configuration I had the first mode I desired from my above list, the right gimbal controls my front steering and throttle, the left gimbal gives me control of the rear steering. With the help of mixing I now have two switches that enable the second and third modes I wanted.

So what are my settings to make the switches labeled 'crab' and 'AWS' function?

It was easier than I thought it was going to be, keep in mind I'm not an RC pilot, so I hadn't handled a stick radio since my Tamiya Hotshot back in the 80's.

1 - turn on your radio
2 - click the scroll wheel to enter settings mode
3 - move scroll wheel until the Mix 1 is highlighted
4 - click the scroll wheel, now you'll see the mix screen

5 - configure as follows, using your scroll wheel specify the MASTER channel, in my case I wanted Front wheel steering ie. AILE to be the master channel, I set the rear wheel steering ie. RUDD to be the SLAVE channel and selected ACT or 'activate' then set the rate so that when the MASTER channel is moved left it should move the SLAVE channel proportionally up to 100%, and the same for the right movement, so the back wheels mimic the front -> that is crab walk. Then I specified ELE D/R as the swtich to activate this mix.

6 - move the focus to list and click
7 - move the scroll wheel to Mix 2
8 - click the scroll wheel, now you'll see the mix screen again, but this time for Mix 2

9 - configure as before MASTER => AILE, SLAVE is RUDD, again ACT, only this time when the MASTER channel moves Left I want it to send -100% proportional signal to the SLAVE channel, or the opposite signal. Do the same thing for right, I then choose AIL D/R as the switch to activate this mix.

10 - choose list, choose main and go drive your vehicle.

I know the standard configuration is to have the throttle on the left, but I didn't want to send the DX6I in to get the factor mod done, and wasn't up to violating my warranty just yet, so I just configured my throttle on the right. It may turn out that this drives me nuts and I'll mod the radio so the left gimbal is spring loaded on the vertical access and returns to center when you let go, but I'm going to drive it for a bit this way and see how I adapt.

I'm mostly posting this because it took me a while, especially when I was looking at radio's and trying to decide how to do this, to find any good information. I hope this helps someone.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kobier; 01-13-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Kobier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Programming my Spektrum DX6i for 4WS on my Axial Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spektrum DX6i programming Slowsteve Electronics 8 01-04-2012 07:38 PM
Programming a 4PL for 4WS and Winch Harley Axial Wraith 15 12-05-2011 11:01 AM
Need help to program DX6i for 4WS Sly Electronics 15 06-23-2009 11:01 AM
DX6i 4ws - how to program? clockworks Electronics 4 06-07-2009 11:39 AM
programming a DX6i halfcab Electronics 5 06-05-2008 04:32 AM