Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help with wraith ESC or battery issue please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Default Help with wraith ESC or battery issue please

Hi all, I have an issue with my new (one day old) axial wraith. I will start with a question first...does the stock AE-2 ESC have some kind of overload protection.

The issue I am having is when crawling in my rock garden it will get to a point when trying to steer hard (maybe against rock) and the ESC basically shuts down, and beeps incessantly at me, when I take the bonnet off it is flashing red and green. I can switch it off and back on again to reset it but it wil happen again. Battery is fully charged, it is a arrowind 35c 5000mAh, racer lipo pack 2s 1p 7.4v.

I am currently charging an old nimh to see if it does the same thing or if it is the lipo causing the dramas. Just trying to go through a process of elimination.

Thanks for any advice.
Stainless02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Default Re: Help with wraith ESC or battery issue please

Ok so after a couple of more runs both lipo and nimh i have it narrowed down to the servo load. I can fang around the garden/ rocks and there are no worries, full noise and full turn(which flips car) and no issues. The issue arises when crawling and I have the front tyres up against an obstacle, if I try to steer when the wheels are essentially locked, then it shuts down and starts beeping at me. It is as if the servo has a protection circuit. Has any one else experienced this and how did you or should I look at fixing it.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like your esc is "browning" out. When the tires are in a bind the serve is pulling more power than the esc can provide. Sounds like you need to get yourself a bec.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatsniper View Post
Sounds like your esc is "browning" out. When the tires are in a bind the serve is pulling more power than the esc can provide. Sounds like you need to get yourself a bec.
+1, the steering servo is overdriving the ESC internal BEC which "brownouts" the RX.

It's possible you are hitting the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) in the ESC, but an external BEC is likely what you need.
What servo? Some can be wired to run power direct from the battery pack and skip the ESC BEC.

Also, what kind of battery connectors are you running? Some, like the Tamiya connectors, are poor to start & degrade fast from there.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like your servo is about to go or it got wet. I had.the same thing happen to my mini revo. I thought it was esc but the guy at lhs said to try the servo first and it was perfect after that. I suggest starting with a new servo( upgrade). I'm running the new Hitech waterproof servo and its held up nice.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Last edited by colebz; 01-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.
colebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

My stock wraith did the same thing as far as the shutting down but it only paused for a moment and then went back in action. I never had to turn it off or anything.
Checkitout0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Brownout for sure. I would try a BEC first and report back on if that fixed the problem or not.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #8

Hi all,

well I went down to my LHS and he gave me a cheap BEC to try, wired it up and no dice, it still was not working as it should. So he gave me a hitec servo and bingo prob solved.

At this stage (funding limitations) I will keep the servo that he loaned me and the BEC and it only has a bit more power than the stock one. I will upgrade both later.

Thanks for all your help.

Help with wraith ESC or battery issue please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Issue CountryChevy15 Electronics 24 01-17-2012 10:24 AM
RC4WD Wraith link issue? OSWHollowpoint Axial Wraith 9 01-11-2012 02:17 PM
Wraith ESC/Rx issue lcbsc Electronics 1 11-14-2011 12:16 PM
Axial Wraith speed control issue skybolt Electronics 10 11-11-2011 05:33 PM
Battery issue treday619 Electronics 2 01-09-2009 01:10 PM