Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin 13.5 just cogging or bad MMP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Question Tekin 13.5 just cogging or bad MMP?

Ok guys please bear with me here as I am new to the electric scene and new to the site. The existing forums have help me a lot and now it's time I join in. I am running a tekin redline 13.5t sensored motor with a castle creations MMP esc in my whraith. It has the stock as2 servo and radio/receiver. My issue is it started lagging really bad and jumping into action on full throttle bursts from stand still and going rev/fwd fwd/rev. I am running smart sense with the sensor cable. I took it to my lhs and they replaced my esc after checking and rechecking everything we could think of because we noticed the "yellow light of doom" I came home installed the new MMP to have another "yellow light of doom" I read some forums here and realized that is no longer "the yellow light of doom" I put the rig back together and it started the same thing again. I put it up pissed off and today it works fine..... What's the deal?
Checkitout0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tekin 13.5 just cogging or bad MMP?

not exactly the same, but i ran a novak sensored brushless with mmp. mine did that once and it was the sensor cable had come unplugged from the esc. it looked like it was plugged in, but wasn't all the way in. had to push it back in. another cause is low battery!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

MMP's do not have very strong BEC's, switch to an external BEC and give that a try.
You might be nuking them that way. Not sure with the stock Wraith servo. Just an idea though.
I have known a couple guys that had problems with their short course trucks till they put external BEC's in. I had to help cause they had never seen one before.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Did you try calibrating the ESC to the RX??

Manual here.... Castle Creations | FAQ: 1/10th Scale Products troubleshooting near the bottom.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #5

OK so I have messed with it a little more now and it seems as if maybe the sensor wire maybe was loose. The only way I can get it to do it now is unplug the sensor wire. I guess now my is does the tekin realty cog this bad when ran sensorless? My vxl and my reedy are as smooth as can be in comparison. Iturned the internal because up to 6volt and I'm pretty sure there is no communication loss as I still have lights and steering when it hesitate
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkitout0125 View Post
OK so I have messed with it a little more now and it seems as if maybe the sensor wire maybe was loose. The only way I can get it to do it now is unplug the sensor wire. I guess now my is does the tekin realty cog this bad when ran sensorless? My vxl and my reedy are as smooth as can be in comparison. Iturned the internal because up to 6volt and I'm pretty sure there is no communication loss as I still have lights and steering when it hesitate
The biggest thing about sensored BL vs. sensorless BL is the cogging issue. The motor "wind" has an effect as does gearing, but running sensored is the best for BL crawling.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkitout0125 View Post
I had the exact same issue and it ended up being a bad motor sensor. I'm willing to wager $1 that is the cause . Go grab a Castle BEC and a new Tekin sensor assembly and report back.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

The motor is only about a month old. If it is a bad sensor will tekin replace it? Is there a way to check the sensors? How much is a new sensor assembly and how hard are they to put in? Sorry for all the questions I would rather ask you guys that have been into the brushless scene a lot longer than my 3 months. I feel I'm learning fast but some of this is pretty complex. Thanx again
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #9

By the way yes I have calibrated the esc to the transmitter every time I have changed anything via the castle link.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I am NOT a brushless guy, so, I'm NOT the expert.

For most BL sensors, it's just a "unplug-plug" issue.

Geebeers, even a management type (like me) can handle that.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

As was said above, it is a pretty straight forward replacement. I don't know about Tekin, but the new sensor for my Novak motor was ~$13 online and maybe 1 minute to replace once the motor was actually out of the truck.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #12

ok well thanks for the info. i think ive got it figured out. I mainly wanted to double check with the opinions of more knowledgable people. I guess lesson simply being a sensored motor running sensorless will cog very badly and hesitate on take off. I will continue running it with the sensor wire checked frequently and if it happens agian I will replace the sensors.

Tekin 13.5 just cogging or bad MMP? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mmp vs tekin rs drage brake? davidq19 Electronics 1 12-27-2011 07:13 PM
MMP, Tekin 17.5, 4PL and a wraith.... RcBro Electronics 1 09-18-2011 01:48 PM
MMP or Tekin rx8 with t8 motor klabeaume Electronics 9 07-08-2011 02:14 PM
New MMP 1c and some low end cogging concretejungle Electronics 31 02-27-2011 09:47 AM