Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Steering servo for LNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Default Steering servo for LNC

Hi I want to upgrade the stock servo with a HITEC servo HS-7955TG that needs 6v. Can I do this with the stock ESC that has a BEC that can handle 5v, 1 amp max at 7.2v? If that HITEC servo does not with the stock LNC ESC is there one you would recommend? I want more steering torque but do not want to upgrade the ESC yet.

thanks
YNPpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steering servo for LNC

Unless you run:

-Holmes Hobbies BR-XL
or
-External BEC (CC 10A is fine, no need for a CC Pro BEC)

You will likely have issues with ANY servo over ~200inoz. When you load up the servo, it will "brownout" the RX power and everything will stop.

If you run 2S, you "may" get away with direct power wires from the ESC input direct to the servo, but the servo needs to be able to handle ~7.4volts.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. One question though you mention adding an external BEC but my LNC stork ESC has a built in BEC. So I cannot add another one correct?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am running that Hitec servo thru the stock Losi ESC with no issues at all. Jerry
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNPpro View Post
Thanks for the information. One question though you mention adding an external BEC but my LNC stork ESC has a built in BEC. So I cannot add another one correct?
You can run an external BEC either direct to the servo (my 1st choice) or through the RX (easier choice, but not my 1st choice).
If you run the external BEC through the RX, you need to remove (not cut) the red wire from the ESC to the RX. Just tape it up so it won't short on anything.

Just about all ESC's today have an internal BEC.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Jerry just to be clear you using the HITEC servo HS-7955TG with the stock LNC ESC and 2S battery with no issues with significant torque from that servo? thanks for your information...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

Thanks I'm new to the changes in this hobby after being away from it for 20yrs! Ok how do I run an external BEC directly to the stock servo by passing my ESC with built in BEC? thank you for your patients ....much appreciated! I want to get this right so I don't fry any of the electronics.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks I'm new to the changes in this hobby after being away from it for 20yrs! Ok how do I run an external BEC directly to the stock servo by passing my ESC with built in BEC? thank you for your patients ....much appreciated! I want to get this right so I don't fry any of the electronics.
If you are unsure of bec install and how they work I would recommend something like this that is a plug in operation with no wires to remove.

CreationFab - Plugs Other Receiver Bypass Adapter

Also a search of "bec install" on this forum will help you out as lot as it is the most common question I see asked daily. I think there is even a stickie or 2 on the subject. Also the 7955 will not run successfully off the stock esc. You wont see anywhere near the power it can produce and will most likely as Charlie pointed out give you brown outs.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Jerry just to be clear you using the HITEC servo HS-7955TG with the stock LNC ESC and 2S battery with no issues with significant torque from that servo? thanks for your information...
I am using the HS-7955TG with the stock LNC ESC on 2S, turning Comp Claw tires. Servo stall has not been an issue except in extreme bind situations, and I have never suffered the brownout problem that many talk about. Jerry
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrim View Post
I am using the HS-7955TG with the stock LNC ESC on 2S, turning Comp Claw tires. Servo stall has not been an issue except in extreme bind situations, and I have never suffered the brownout problem that many talk about. Jerry
And how much of your $100+ servos torque are you wasting by not running a $20 bec? You bought a race car and are filling it with crappy pump gas. The extra loads you are putting through your esc are slowly killing it and decreasing its life expectancy also. You might think you have good steering power but try a bec and you will be blown away at what you have been missing out of your servo
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
And how much of your $100+ servos torque are you wasting by not running a $20 bec? You bought a race car and are filling it with crappy pump gas. The extra loads you are putting through your esc are slowly killing it and decreasing its life expectancy also. You might think you have good steering power but try a bec and you will be blown away at what you have been missing out of your servo
About this much....:
Torque:
249.96 oz-in (18 kg-cm) at 4.8V
333.29 oz-in (24.0kg-cm) at 6.0V
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #12

Thanks all for the information! Also to the link to a Receiver Bypass Adapter. I have enough information now to install a 20 amp CC BEC and the reasons for doing it for a powerful steering servo.

thanks all for responding so quickly.....
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks all for the information! Also to the link to a Receiver Bypass Adapter. I have enough information now to install a 20 amp CC BEC and the reasons for doing it for a powerful steering servo.

thanks all for responding so quickly.....
The CC 10A BEC is likely all you need for a single servo, lots smaller as well.
When you are done, post back with impressions, please.

Steering servo for LNC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
battery/servo tray for lnc RJM95 Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 05-16-2011 02:22 PM
steering on lnc/lcc chrispy76 Team Losi Comp Crawler 18 05-16-2010 05:21 PM
servo torque on lnc losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 11-26-2009 11:14 PM