Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Electronics issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Electronics issues

Alright. i'm stumped.

So when my crawler takes a hard a fall it becomes un responsive, BUT all i have todo is unplug then plug the battery in and its good to go.

Any idea's...all the connections seems good, I can wiggle everything and nothing happens. I've tried two different rx's.

My servo is wired directly to my lipo, then my tekin rs powers my rx and micro dig servo. (running a lcc/overkillrc hybrid shafty)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Electronics issues

Could it be that maybe it comes unplugged a little?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Is it possible the battery pack itself and not your electroniics? Is there a possibility of a bad or loose connection between cells that gets jarred in a hard crash? Or maybe the leads to the battery pack? sounds like there may be the possiblity of a (partial) nreak in a wire. I always start at the batteries when anything electric or electronic gives me fits. Wow thought here, does anyone even assemble their own battery packs anymore with the advent of LiPO technology?
Chrishercules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Are you by any chance running a failsafe on your rig?
I used to get a similar effect when running a Venom failsafe in my old Savage 21. After a big jump, it would cut the throttle back until I turned off the electronics and then back on.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
Could it be that maybe it comes unplugged a little?
It has power when i plug/unplug...and power doesn't cycle on/off or i should just have a short delay till the tx/rx re binds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishercules1 View Post
Is it possible the battery pack itself and not your electroniics? Is there a possibility of a bad or loose connection between cells that gets jarred in a hard crash? Or maybe the leads to the battery pack? sounds like there may be the possiblity of a (partial) nreak in a wire. I always start at the batteries when anything electric or electronic gives me fits. Wow thought here, does anyone even assemble their own battery packs anymore with the advent of LiPO technology?
It will do it with all 5 of my gens ace 1300mah 2s lipo packs...and i know all my solder joints are good...i'm far from a newb at soldering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
Are you by any chance running a failsafe on your rig?
I used to get a similar effect when running a Venom failsafe in my old Savage 21. After a big jump, it would cut the throttle back until I turned off the electronics and then back on.
Kinda, i'm running a hard lipo cutoff. But it may be it, i'll start paying attention to whether if my tires are spinning or not when i land. I wonder how much current that draws by loading up my motor like that.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wow, good issue......

OK, issue happens with:

different packs
different RX's

I'm assuming it's a hacked GT3B?

When you say, "unresponsive", are the ESC &/or RX LED's still on? Does steering (or anything else) still work?

What ESC?

Are you sure you're not just awestruck on the amazing stuff your rig just did??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Wow, good issue......

OK, issue happens with:

different packs
different RX's

I'm assuming it's a hacked GT3B?

When you say, "unresponsive", are the ESC &/or RX LED's still on? Does steering (or anything else) still work?

What ESC?

Are you sure you're not just awestruck on the amazing stuff your rig just did??
Yea a hacked gt3b...i run a AX-3 rx normally, but i tried a flysky 3ch and 6ch rx. I even tried a frsky module and frsky rx. So its not radio gear

By unresponsive i mean it has power, just it doesn't listen to the tx. Actually, i guess i need to see if the rx has power when this happens, as its powered by the esc's bec. But what would cause the esc to stop sending power? I think it maybe the lipo cutoff as mention before. Because it is a hard cutoff, a voltage spike may set it off.

Tekin RS is the esc, running a 13.5t sensored tekin redline

It hasn't just happened once, it'd done it quite a few times. But i am awestruck as to why, its abit strange.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Almost sounds like a bad connection from the ESC BEC to the RX, then you're waiting for the RX to restart. Maybe a bad connection to the ESC (or bad internal connection) making it wait until it restarts.

Does the ESC normally chime @ start-up? If so, do you hear that when this happens?

If not, while it may be a LVC issue, I would look to the ESC BEC to RX connection "may" be a bit loose (although you stated you wiggled connections).
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

What's the C rating on those packs? That's a hot motor, I wouldn't expect good life from any pack that can't pass 50a cont, 100a peak. You don't ever have this issue in binds or full throttle burst?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
What's the C rating on those packs? That's a hot motor, I wouldn't expect good life from any pack that can't pass 50a cont, 100a peak. You don't ever have this issue in binds or full throttle burst?
25c...

No, i don't have any issues on full out binds. But i do know that if i stall out that motor too many times in a hole that it'll make my lipo pack puff up like ballon and scare the livin poo out of me. So far i've super puffed 1 pack and kinda puffed another. and on hard running the pack will be toasty hot once its dead....I can get about 10 minutes out of the pack with normal crawling. When its in torquey spots it lasts about 6 min.

Here soon i'll be upgrading to holmes 3s packs (running 2s right now) I hope the extra voltage will help lower my draw.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Almost sounds like a bad connection from the ESC BEC to the RX, then you're waiting for the RX to restart. Maybe a bad connection to the ESC (or bad internal connection) making it wait until it restarts.

Does the ESC normally chime @ start-up? If so, do you hear that when this happens?

If not, while it may be a LVC issue, I would look to the ESC BEC to RX connection "may" be a bit loose (although you stated you wiggled connections).
There is no external bec, just to be clear. So if there is a bad connection it have to be an internal connection in the rs.

Yes, the rs does a chime at startup. But i don't think i hear it after i loose my control over it. Next time it happens i'll check and make sure i have rx voltage and un bury my esc and see what error's its giving me.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
There is no external BEC, just to be clear. So if there is a bad connection it have to be an internal connection in the rs.

Yes, the rs does a chime at startup. But I don't think I hear it after I lose my control over it. Next time it happens I'll check and make sure I have RX voltage and un bury my esc and see what error's its giving me.
I understand there isn no external BEC, but the RX gets it's power from the red & black wires from the ESC to RX. Thus, if that connection is a bit loose, you may be losing the connection when it drops.

Just curious to see what it turns out to be.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Maybe something in esc causes it to short out on hard crash....got another esc to try?
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'd be looking for a lot higher C packs. I'm not sure if tekins LVC is as adjustable as castle's, but setting to 3.5 per cell will help about puffing packs. That said I'm not sure if this is a LVC issue or a brownout issue from the front tires smacking hard without a BEC. Or are you running you servo 2s direct?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Austin, maybe try this if you get a chance:

Get a good size capacitor, maybe 2000uF or so and solder it to a servo plug. Plug it in your receiver. This will make sure that your receiver doesn't suffer from a brownout after a hard fall. I'm not saying this will work for sure, but it might be worth a try.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner View Post
Maybe something in esc causes it to short out on hard crash....got another esc to try?
No, i didn't have enough cash to buy a spare $175 esc

Quote:
I'd be looking for a lot higher C packs. I'm not sure if tekins LVC is as adjustable as castle's, but setting to 3.5 per cell will help about puffing packs. That said I'm not sure if this is a LVC issue or a brownout issue from the front tires smacking hard without a BEC. Or are you running you servo 2s direct?
yea, i'll be running 35c holmes packs...and i doubt holmes would overrate his packs so i'll probably be getting a good 10-15C increase (but a 300mah decrease)

My servo is running 2s direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Austin, maybe try this if you get a chance:

Get a good size capacitor, maybe 2000uF or so and solder it to a servo plug. Plug it in your receiver. This will make sure that your receiver doesn't suffer from a brownout after a hard fall. I'm not saying this will work for sure, but it might be worth a try.
Yea, i'll give this a try.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
RCC Addict

While those HH packs are quality packs, their still simply not enough. You need 45c or higher unless you increase mah also and that's not ideal for a comp truck. Check out the Hyperion 1100's in there strongest cells.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Got Worms?

Quote:
While those HH packs are quality packs, their still simply not enough. You need 45c or higher unless you increase mah also and that's not ideal for a comp truck. Check out the Hyperion 1100's in there strongest cells.
Do i seem like a newb to you? and have you done your research? The Hyperion 45c 1100's arn't 45c. There are tests to prove it if you want proof (it may take me awhile to find it). They are 35c packs...So don't go trying to tell me to use another pack that's close to a equivalent (power discharge wise) to the pack i'm planning on using

And i'd much rather give my money to a us company than a chinese when buying quality packs. And my #1 picks will be either a HH pack or a Elite pack. Both with a true 35c rating which is alot higher than what i'm running now. As long as i don't stay bound in a hole for an entire pack my gens ace handle the motor just fine.

Now back to the issue at hand, more i think about it, it most likely is a brown out issue because the esc has a a very weak bec and it seems like usually my dig servo is engaged. So maybe the internal bec just can't power my mega torque micro servo when the motor takes a hit and spike an insane amount of current. It'll be afew days before i get more time to tinker with my losi, so i'm stuck to thinking till then
Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #19

I ran into a similar problem when running multiple servos. I redid all of my connectors and installed a BEC, problem solved!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tbone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I have a similar issue on my stadium trucks upon hard landings, although itīs just the steering that become unresponsive for a few seconds and then back to normal( running sidewinder esc btw), it will do it almost every jump, depending on how hard, this is with just a standard servo, i can only imagine that a much higher torque servo would definetly send the esc into shut down mode plus the extra draw from the dig servo.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Electronics issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BND Night crawler electronics issues du4x4 Electronics 20 04-08-2011 12:41 PM
Stock Electronics issues KingJerd Axial SCX-10 10 11-30-2010 05:11 PM
issues with stock electronics PineapplAssasin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 06-20-2010 12:09 PM
lcc electronics glitching issues... Fluxnutz Team Losi Comp Crawler 13 12-30-2009 10:25 PM
Help, new TTR Tremor but I am having issues....Electronics?? ScaleHobbies Tamiya Clod Buster 0 02-22-2005 05:18 AM