Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Magnets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Magnets

anyone know a good resource for new magnets for 540 cans? I've been playing around with doing my own custom winds but you can only do so much with a magnet thats weak.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
anyone know a good resource for new magnets for 540 cans? I've been playing around with doing my own custom winds but you can only do so much with a magnet thats weak.
I would PM Eddie0 or JR Holmes.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Even back in the day when brushed motors ruled magnets were almost impossible to buy separately and then they would break easily. Also there were a few different can designs, some with four magnets and others with two.

Most motor builders would just remagnatize the magnets in the can using a motor zapper, I don't remember the manufacturer's name (maybe Xipp or Trinity).

Last edited by AreCee; 01-16-2012 at 11:45 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have magnets....

Trinity sold magnets separately, as the magnets in the D4 were replaceable.......they offered a TDK FB9 separately. I still have some around, but they are not cheap.

I have a new magnet, the C6, which is the same used in the new Chaos/Intensity motors I sell....these aren't very pricey, but still a very good magnet. I have these in stock also.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #5

has anyone considered,if you could get them, building brushed motors with Neodymium magnets? Do they make cobalt that will fit in a standard 540 can?
Chrishercules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

540 arms won't respond well to NEO magnets....not much better cobalt. Startup will ALWAYS be an issue........

Later EddieO
Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

So Eddie whats the startup issue with them? Is the magnetic feild of those mags to dense and wont let it spin easy enough on startup? what is the simple laymeans reason as to why they wont work well, Im gurious now. Not saying it really did any good but we used to CA rice paper to the outside of the mags to shim them in our race motors to get the magnetic field closer to the rotor... I SUPPOSE that reasonng was all wrong too LMAO
Chrishercules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

In simple terms, they create WAY too much magnetic field, so the arm has the generate a ton before it will actually start to spin, which results in a fairly abrupt start. Even dropping winds to help generate the field doesn't do much, along with not making a very crawler friendly motor.

Using NEO or Cobalt magnets only saw use in drag racing......where you could generate tons of voltage and startup wasn't an issue.....heat didn't matter either, as the runs only lasted a few seconds. If they were that good, even for just making power....people would of swapped them in race motors, as very few tech guys would ever know the difference. We tried a cobalt can once in a touring car....had nice torque, but top end suffered and we didn't make run time, second run the magnet cracked from a hard hit. We tried a NEO setup too....motor overheated, didn't make time, and it was really lacking on the straight....

Shimming your magnets out back in the day was an old slot car trick to change the airgap..........changing the airgap alters the powerband of the motor, sometimes increasing power. Wasn't a very fun process, as removing the magnets without damaging them wasn't fun....and often people would over do it and kill the arm by closing the gap too much. We always found increasing the airgap made the stock motors quicker.

On top of that, if you were doing it in a stock motor, you breaking ROAR rules......was pretty tough to detect but I did see someone get caught doing it once. Modified it was legal....

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishercules1 View Post
So Eddie whats the startup issue with them? Is the magnetic feild of those mags to dense and wont let it spin easy enough on startup? what is the simple laymeans reason as to why they wont work well, Im gurious now. Not saying it really did any good but we used to CA rice paper to the outside of the mags to shim them in our race motors to get the magnetic field closer to the rotor... I SUPPOSE that reasonng was all wrong too LMAO
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

are those Magnets listed on your website? I couldnt seem to find them.

Last edited by jetboat; 01-18-2012 at 05:31 AM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I never put them on the site, as nobody ever asked for them....PM if you want a set.

Later EddieO

Magnets - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neodymium Magnets? alexchen86 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 02-26-2013 05:39 AM
Neodymium Magnets? alexchen86 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 08-24-2010 12:22 AM
Magnets? BJoe Paint and Body 19 01-08-2010 03:57 PM
Magnets LIKES2CRAWL Electronics 7 09-15-2007 11:31 PM
magnets in the tires? roadblock Chit Chat 14 12-19-2006 03:07 PM