Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: esc for winch control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default esc for winch control

I'm looking for a good cheapo esc to control my 3 racing winch. I'd like it to be small, have reverse, able to handle 3s, and brushed motor capable. I've done some searching but had only a little success so I was hoping some folks here could give me some options. Thanks in advance!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Default Re: esc for winch control

A Castle Mamba 25, Sidewinder Micro, or Micro pro, Tekin FXR or BR1 would word great!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm running one of these. Not an ESC, but a micro relay controller. I'm running mine on 3s and it is working great. Cheaper than most ESC's and pretty small. Always nice to have options.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...ontroller.html
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use Tekin B1R's for all of my winch control duties.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

CTI Modellbau UG (haftungsbeschänkt) - THOR 4 s

dont know if they ship worldwide
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I use one of these :-

The MicroViper R is a miniature Forwards, Brake and Reverse Brushed Speed Control for 1/18 or 1/28 scale

again not sure how easy it is to get on your side of the pond.

Has 3s capability and adjustable brake force, oh is waterproof from the factory, and unlike the RockC esc has so far proven reliable on my scaler.

Pete.
Pete Attryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
CTI Modellbau UG (haftungsbeschänkt) - THOR 4 s dont know if they ship worldwide
Hey Egressor: I'm REALLY interested in the esc you posted but I can't read german and maybe because I'm lacking the correct translator but I can find no specs on the esc you posted additionally most of the icons on the site are empty and when I go to the shipping page all it states is " Versandkosten angebn". Can you help me out here and see if they ship here and if that tiny thing really can handle 3s, reverse, and a brushed motor? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by Bukwylde; 01-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm just using a cheap small chinese esc off ebay. Like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320A-Brus...item230870aa6c
It's not 3s rated but the 3racing winch draws SFA amps even at stall so it's never been an issue. 3s tends to burn out winch motors and kill gearboxes more than stress the esc.
The only downside is its double tap reverse so I've got to flick the switch a few times to get it to wind in.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I just run a cheap servo i took apart. It has worked fine for about 2 years now.
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
I'm just using a cheap small chinese esc off ebay. Like this: 320A Brushed Brush Speed Controller ESC Fo RC Car truck | eBay
It's not 3s rated but the 3racing winch draws SFA amps even at stall so it's never been an issue. 3s tends to burn out winch motors and kill gearboxes more than stress the esc.
The only downside is its double tap reverse so I've got to flick the switch a few times to get it to wind in.
Can you please explain sfa amps and it's realtion to not blowing the esc? I understand that the motor will have a max draw but won't the esc still have to step down the voltage going into it? Could that not still potentially blow it?

Or will the battery only release the amount of voltage thats being drawn by the motor? Is that how that works? Obviously I'm confused so any help would be appreciated.

By the way this is the one I'm going to order.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Last edited by Bukwylde; 01-26-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Do you need to do any special electrical when connecting ESC outputs to motor winch input?
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Do you need to do any special electrical when connecting ESC outputs to motor winch input?
I have done this using a moped esc and am now using this RCTRAX Miniqlo New ESC with auto cut-off : [MQ-ESCA] : MiniQLO esc from my miniqlo shafty though it doesnt have a cutoff in mine cause its older. Works great because it's a crawler esc that has instant reverse and will alleviate some issues for you on you 3 pos switch with double tapping for reverse. I remove the power and ground lead from the esc then jumper the ground to the rx ground on the esc, then I just run the red bec wire to where the battery positive lead was. I power this through the rx(4pl) on the 4th channel at 7v along with my steering servo(savox sc052mg) using 1x cc bec. Using the esc above can be run directly off a 2s lipo and just pull the red bec wire from the esc then plug into channel 3. You could also use a dedicated cc bec programmed to whatever voltage you want as long as the internal bec is bypassed on the winch esc. Really the easy answer was no there is nothing different than setting up you motor and esc to run the rig lol just a few variations of it. Be sure to set your end points for forward and reverse winch to the max.

o.p, have you looked into a user named heyok, he sells some hv winch controllers but has a specific way that they need to be wired, you cant run them with a bec that runs the steering so you must provide a dedicated power source to it. They are great quality zero creep controllers.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
Can you please explain sfa amps and it's realtion to not blowing the esc? I understand that the motor will have a max draw but won't the esc still have to step down the voltage going into it? Could that not still potentially blow it?

Or will the battery only release the amount of voltage thats being drawn by the motor? Is that how that works? Obviously I'm confused so any help would be appreciated.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Price is right but in one direction you will have to double pump. I used a moped esc which operates like this will, This example is using a 3 position switch to operate the winch esc, when I spooled out I had the esc setup as reverse throttle which was fine because the reverse on the esc would cut out after 30 seconds of being in reverse but I could just keep pulling on the winch line so it basically free wheeled out. Click back to center on the switch and it stops click back again and nothing will happen because it still thinks its braking so you gotta go back to center then go back into reverse to get it to actually spool back in because of the brake that that esc has. I found reverse throttle from esc to spool out and forward throttle from the esc to spool in, keeping in mind that most brushed esc's have more power current capabilities in forward than reverse. I now use this esc http://www.rcmart.com/rc-miniqlo-rct...c-p-31022.html because it doesnt have a cutoff and it suited my needs as far as instant forward and reverse like the rc4wd and 3racing units but a whole lot more powerful at 25a rated

Last edited by kurtus; 01-26-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
I have done this using a moped esc and am now using this RCTRAX Miniqlo New ESC with auto cut-off : [MQ-ESCA] : MiniQLO esc from my miniqlo shafty though it doesnt have a cutoff in mine cause its older. Works great because it's a crawler esc that has instant reverse and will alleviate some issues for you on you 3 pos switch with double tapping for reverse. I remove the power and ground lead from the esc then jumper the ground to the rx ground on the esc, then I just run the red bec wire to where the battery positive lead was. I power this through the rx(4pl) on the 4th channel at 7v along with my steering servo(savox sc052mg) using 1x cc bec. Using the esc above can be run directly off a 2s lipo and just pull the red bec wire from the esc then plug into channel 3. You could also use a dedicated cc bec programmed to whatever voltage you want as long as the internal bec is bypassed on the winch esc. Really the easy answer was no there is nothing different than setting up you motor and esc to run the rig lol just a few variations of it. Be sure to set your end points for forward and reverse winch to the max.

o.p, have you looked into a user named heyok, he sells some hv winch controllers but has a specific way that they need to be wired, you cant run them with a bec that runs the steering so you must provide a dedicated power source to it. They are great quality zero creep controllers.
Thanks. Yes, I know of him have about 6 of Hoyoks controllers. I was just looking at this waterproof lrp esc and was thinking about what it would take.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What i meant by sfa amps is the winch draws Sweet F**k All (sfa, get it?) amps. If i remember right on 3s i saw about 2-3amps at stall. The the winch stopped and then burnt the motor out
The esc i'm using is designed for a 540 sized motor @ 7.2volts. A 540 can draw 30+amps constant so a dinky little motor with a higher input voltage works.

As for a esc 'stepping down the voltage' that's not how they usually work. They work by switching the power to the motor off and on extremely rapidly. It's way too much info to go into here, but if you want to know how they work look at: Speed control basics.

As for the esc you linked.... It might work, it might not. Only trial and error will tell you if it will handle the extra input voltage. I know a mate has also used a Axial Ae-1 esc (the first ones) and a stock losi MRC esc on 3s as his winch controllers without a hitch.

Just make sure that if you do use a esc for your winch controller to remove the red wire from the receiver plug to disable its BEC. Otherwise you will fry your receiver from too much voltage going into it.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
I now use this esc RCTRAX Miniqlo ESC : [MQ-ESC] : MiniQLO because it doesnt have a cutoff and it suited my needs as far as instant forward and reverse like the rc4wd and 3racing units but a whole lot more powerful at 25a rated
Well I think I just screwed up. I just purchased one of these but they don't have the old one anymore (the one you link to) and the new has lipo cutoff. I just reread your post and you mention no cutoff. Will this be a problem for me?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well I think I just screwed up. I just purchased one of these but they don't have the old one anymore (the one you link to) and the new has lipo cutoff. I just reread your post and you mention no cutoff. Will this be a problem for me?
I dont think it will be an issue as long as you run it off a constant 6.8-7.4v power source using a castle bec, I would in your case just use a dedicated castle bec to the winch esc if you are only able to run your steering servo at 6v. If your steering servo is rated at 7.4v then run the bec through the rx to power the whole system off one bec. The issue would be that the miniqlo esc would see low voltage right away if you only supply 6v to it. I'm guessing low voltage kicks in at around 6.3v. Tell me a bit more as to how you are wiring it up.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Why would you power a ESC off a BEC? Seems to defeat the purpose of using an ESC, which is to get full battery power, unless your running 5-6s packs?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Why would you power a ESC off a BEC? Seems to defeat the purpose of using an ESC, which is to get full battery power, unless your running 5-6s packs?
In my case I run 3s in my Honcho, my servo runs at 7v. The winch esc's I have used where only rated for 8.4v max so there goes using the 3s pack with it. I could have run a dedicated 2s lipo on the winch but there is more hassle recharging the lipo, dealing with proper lipo cutoff so not to run the 2s down too low plus the added weight. So I figure what the hell, I'll run the whole winch and servo system off the same 7v bec. It worked better for me and I would never run a winch on 3s power, the esc will take it but that winch motor wont. Ideally it would have worked best if I ran the winch at 8.4v but that would take a second bec since my servo is only good to 7.2v. Does that make more sense or did I miss something possibly when wiring for this on my end??

I should mention that I don't think this small winch motor is capable of pulling the full 10a the bec offers anyways because it all stays cool while lifting my 6.5lb rig off all 4 tires.

Last edited by kurtus; 02-23-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

What if I just run a splitter off the battery? That way it's getting the full 3s and the cut off should be no issue right?

esc for winch control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Control DustyfX4 Electronics 9 12-06-2011 06:43 AM
winch control djmikeb Electronics 4 03-07-2011 08:25 PM
3 racing winch control redjeeper General Crawlers 4 01-13-2010 01:44 AM
3R winch and control msd44 Scale Accessories 4 05-03-2009 11:42 AM