Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default ESC choice

Hello all,

I recently had my FX-R catch fire. I think it is because my motor was clogged with mud/sand and drew way too much current. I feel that if I get an ESC with a heavier duty setup (burst rating) it'd be less likely to fail in this regard.

I'm torn between a BR-XL and an MMP

The nice thing about the BR-XL is that it can be ordered waterproof. But it is brushed only.
The nice thing about the MMP is that it can run either but I'd have to waterproof it and I worry that it would want to overheat.

-Is running a crawler as a trail truck on brushless lame? I know a lot of people say the low end resolution is poor, but many on here run brushless. The youtube videos I've seen don't seem to have terrible low end performance.

-Have you seen a waterproofed MMP, do they run cool enough on say ~21T BL motors?
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #2

Default Re: ESC choice

its quite easy to waterproof yourself, you can use the tried and tested ballon, epoxy, wrapped in a bag etc
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: ESC choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
its quite easy to waterproof yourself, you can use the tried and tested ballon, epoxy, wrapped in a bag etc
+1 for the waterproofing yourself.
I have both ESC's and I can tell you if you plan on ONLY running brushed get the BR-XL. Its awesome!
If you plan to run possible brushless then the MMP is perfect. I run an MMP with a ReVtech 21.5t Sensored BL motor and it works pretty damn good. Its currently being placed in my Wraith. Where the BR-XL is going into an SCX10 build with a good 35t brushed motor. Both ESCs have CC BECs as well so I dont draw any un-needed power away from them. I dont think you will be dissapointed with either of the two, it just depends on what your plans are. Good luck

by the way I waterproof with balloons or radioshack project boxes and Liquid Electrical Tape. Works great.

Also I have run the 21.5t BL motor and I run them hard with no heat issues. I think you would be fine with no issues regarding heat. just make sure you are geared properly. I also think using an external BEC reduces stress or heat on the ESC as well, might be something to think about.

Last edited by AsILayDying; 01-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC choice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choice for ESC or ESC motor combo fivepointnine98 Newbie General 10 07-05-2011 03:21 PM
esc choice beaven Newbie General 10 08-28-2010 11:14 AM
esc choice tas basher Electronics 0 10-08-2008 03:23 AM
help with esc choice rider12693 Electronics 3 09-24-2008 08:17 PM
need help with ESC choice Valtor001 Newbie General 6 01-03-2008 07:44 PM