Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Couldn't find anything, so- Hobbyking branded servos... Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Couldn't find anything, so- Hobbyking branded servos... Thoughts?

Been on the lookout for some cheap servos for a Savage and a T-Maxx (both have used stock servos for some time before I've worn them out) to get them up and running again, and after doing some searching around, I've found these, in stock, in the US without a hefty pricetag. Given the specs and the appearance, it seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck, but I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with them (Hobbyking servos in general, not necessarily this specific model).

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 01-30-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #2

Default Re: Couldn't find anything, so- Hobbyking branded servos... Thoughts?

for 20 bucks give it a whirl. I used a cheap hobbypartz servo that worked great for 3 years before i replaced it with an airtronics one i got for free
Rockcrawlintoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That's what I was thinking, so I already purchased two. I just figured since I couldn't find anything regarding any Hobbyking branded servos, I'd start a thread just to see if anyone would turn me away right off the bat or whatever. I'll report back and post how I feel about their quality and performance when I get them.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I bought a couple servos from HobbyPartz and they work well for the $15 or whatever I paid for them.

Dont expect them to be Hitec 7950's or anything but they arent bad for the money.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Zeus I've been eyeballing that same servo you linked..you beat me to it, let us know how well it works out.
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I bought a couple servos from HobbyPartz and they work well for the $15 or whatever I paid for them.

Dont expect them to be Hitec 7950's or anything but they arent bad for the money.
The kits I'm going to be putting these in are just toys, I don't plan on racing them or anything. Durability, torque, and moderate accuracy are all I need. If I get those, I'll be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner View Post
Zeus I've been eyeballing that same servo you linked..you beat me to it, let us know how well it works out.
Sure thing. Only thing I'm possibly worried about right off the bat is the range of throw. I think it's something like 60* either direction from neutral. It'll probably be enough, but I know my Hitec 645MG and a couple other servos I had about 90*. I read that this might be able to be adjusted with end points but probably not.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 01-30-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Got my servos today. Both seem to work well. I tested them out on an old AM Futaba radio I had lying around as I'm waiting to get a couple more 2.4GHz receivers for my Airtronics (damn expensive receivers). They're 25 splines so Futaba/Traxxas horns work. Both work as advertised, with about 60* in either direction from neutral and plenty of torque to turn the tires on carpet (though the servo saver in my T-Maxx doesn't like it). I'm thinking I might be able to get more throw out of it with my end point adjustment on the Airtronics radio, as the servos will physically do 90* either direction of neutral. Unfortunately I won't be driving either very soon so durability is still unknown, though they seem nice and tight with good construction.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
cherry bomb

I love those servo's, I have them in both my 1/8 scale race trucks and my scaler, great servo's for the money.

I have stripped one of them in my 1/8 buggy, but the servo saver was jammed solid and it stripped on a landing from a jump.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
I love those servo's, I have them in both my 1/8 scale race trucks and my scaler, great servo's for the money.

I have stripped one of them in my 1/8 buggy, but the servo saver was jammed solid and it stripped on a landing from a jump.
That's good to know. They certainly feel tough working them with my hands, so I may just get another for a Stampede I'll be working on soon. So many unfinished projects...

Speaking of servo savers, though, the stock Traxxas piece that came with my T-Maxx was WAY soft. Could turn the wheel on the remote and the servo would rotate, but the saver would soak it all up, turning the wheels only a little bit on carpet, and a little more on tile. Wouldn't even turn the wheels all the way if I rolled it on the floor. I swapped it out with a Kimbrough I had in my parts box and that was better, but not as stiff as I would have hoped. I don't remember these being so mushy in the past, and everything turns nice and smooth when disconnected from the servo.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #10

Im sure they are fine. I will try them when my servo craps out
Rockcrawlintoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Has anyone happened to use Losi aluminum servo horns? I bought one to use in my Savage (only because they didn't have Dynamite), and the M3x10mm Traxxas screws I planned on using don't thread in. The threads in the horn look to be a coarser thread than the Traxxas machine screws.

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Serv.../dp/B000P5PBYA

EDIT:

Just gonna' order a Dynamite arm. I can't find anywhere online stating what size and thread screws this thing requires, and the screw will be too small anyway.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 02-02-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Being Losi its more than likely 4-40 if you say it looks more coarse. Will be a little smaller in dia as well.
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdriver View Post
Being Losi its more than likely 4-40 if you say it looks more coarse. Will be a little smaller in dia as well.
Thanks for the spec. I'd go buy some screws but but the rod ends are for 3mm screws. I guess I've got a useless Losi arm to hang onto. lol
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
Thanks for the spec. I'd go buy some screws but but the rod ends are for 3mm screws. I guess I've got a useless Losi arm to hang onto. lol
Drill it out to 2.5mm and tap it 3mm...Or drill it 3mm or 1/8" and put a nut on the backside.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Drill it out to 2.5mm and tap it 3mm...Or drill it 3mm or 1/8" and put a nut on the backside.
Meh, no taps that small, let alone metric drill bits/taps, and part of the reason I wanted the threaded aluminum is so I don't have to deal with a nut. Already ordered the appropriate part and will get my money back on this.

Couldn't find anything, so- Hobbyking branded servos... Thoughts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hobbyking S.C. yoda Electronics 25 12-19-2011 03:51 PM
Hobbyking?? rocksteadily Electronics 16 02-21-2011 06:05 PM
Anybody use HobbyKing batteries? RCAddiction Electronics 10 10-16-2010 05:06 PM
Hobbyking will1978 Electronics 19 07-09-2010 02:12 PM
Servos: where to find torque specs? TRA3905 Electronics 3 01-23-2008 02:47 PM