Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: which should I buy, Futaba 4PL or hacked FS-GT3B?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default which should I buy, Futaba 4PL or hacked FS-GT3B?

What features are on the Futaba 4PL, that are not in the FLY SKY FS-GT3B, and vice versa? I can get the 4PL at rpphobby.com for $209.99, while I can get the GT3B with added features for $117.50. Is the extra $92.49 worth it, if I get the 4PL?

Last edited by ussprinceton2004; 02-02-2012 at 07:37 PM.
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: which should I buy, Futaba 4PL or hacked FS-GT3B

There are no features that the 4pl has that a hacked GT3B does not have.

The difference is that the 4pl is just "nicer" and has higher framerates and has a better screen. That said, the GT3b is capable of running 8 channels hacked, the 4pl is limited to just 4.

What is your intended use? That will determine if it is worth it or not. Also dont forget that GT3B receivers are only $10 (6ch) and that is not even close to what a Futabe RX will cost you.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The Futaba is a very nice radio. I have a hacked GT3B and it's very nice too, but you need to do all of the hack stuff to get it to where you want it. I did the voltage regulator, firmware, and bearing. The side switches are setup for dig and they are a little hard to use. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, maybe add some knurled screws to make them taller. The GT3B is also a slower radio. I notice that between my three 2.4 ghz radios the response time from the GT3B is the slowest. For example, turn the wheel from one side to another and with my Axial and Traxxas radio the servo follows as fast as I can move the wheel. With the GT3B it's a little delayed.

All in all I'm still very happy with the radio. I can live with a little ergonomics issues since I paid half the price of an equally equipped radio. Another plus is the receivers are super cheap.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

A new factory 4PL over a hacked/warranty voided radio any day! Besides Futaba makes a better radio hands down. If you don't absolutely need the 4th channel for anything (ie: if you are gonna comp). I'd go with a 3PK. It's the 4PK minus one channel and $200 less in price! It is identical in it's functions and will take your rig to it's full potential!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Default Re: which should I buy, Futaba 4PL or hacked FS-GT3B?

I would go for the gt3b, it's a good radio and the best bang for the buck imo. Plus like everybody else said the rx's are like $10 compared to the ridiculous futaba ones.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I really love my 4pl unit. I don't know how I lived without it. You can't go wrong with the Futaba.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Would you rather drive a Ford/Chevy or ride a moped. Not a cool 600cc moped, a pedal to start 50cc moped. Lots of people will swear they both get you there, but come on. Just like a fat chick and a moped, swap meet radios are cool, but you don't want to be seen using one.

Buy the Futaba and be happy with your purchase. Or buy the swap meet radio and get them to throw in a churro, and a 10 pack of diabetic socks in the deal.

I cannot understand why someone will spend $1000 on an RC car, then control it with a $40 radio. I would not trust my Truggy on 6s to a $10 radio.

I own both a 4pk, and a 4pl. The 4pl is a nice radio. Much better then the dx3r I replaced with my 4pk.

Last edited by The Violator; 02-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Would you rather drive a Ford/Chevy or ride a moped. Not a cool 600cc moped, a pedal to start 50cc moped. Lots of people will swear they both get you there, but come on. Just like a fat chick and a moped, swap meet radios are cool, but you don't want to be seen using one.

Buy the Futaba and be happy with your purchase. Or buy the swap meet radio and get them to throw in a churro, and a 10 pack of diabetic socks in the deal.

I cannot understand why someone will spend $1000 on an RC car, then control it with a $40 radio. I would not trust my Truggy on 6s to a $10 radio.

I own both a 4pk, and a 4pl. The 4pl is a nice radio. Mush better then the dx3r I replaced with my 4pk.
yup^^ ......lol diabetic socks!
Kaiser Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

4PL is one of my favorite toys
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #10

After much reading and watching a few videos I ordered me a 4pl today. Sweet deal at tower hobbies on sale for 225 then a 25 dollar off coupon with free shipping and easy pay. I couldn't pass it up. Im switching from a spectrum dx6i and looking forward to the 4 channel pistol. With the money spent on your different rigs I want a top radio in control of my crawlers and nitro / brushless speed demons.
agbracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
I can get the 4PL at rpphobby.com for $209.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
If you don't absolutely need the 4th channel for anything (ie: if you are gonna comp). I'd go with a 3PK. It's the 4PK minus one channel and $200 less in price!
Where are you getting 3pk's for $9.99?

The real benefit of the GT3B in my eyes is the cheap RX's...That seals the deal. That and the fact that if I dropped my GT3B I wouldnt be as upset as I could replace it and re hack it for $40!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Where are you getting 3pk's for $9.99?

The real benefit of the GT3B in my eyes is the cheap RX's...That seals the deal. That and the fact that if I dropped my GT3B I wouldnt be as upset as I could replace it and re hack it for $40!
He means the 3pk is $200 less than the 4pk.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I own both a 4pk, and a 4pl. The 4pl is a nice radio. Much better then the dx3r I replaced with my 4pk.
a few reasons.. the low cost radio works, RX's are a reasonable price, and they have more functions..

Last I checked this is not a sight devoted to truggys on 6S so how is that really important?

since these are slower moving vehicles any slight speed issue's for the casual driver really dont matter..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post

since these are slower moving vehicles any slight speed issue's for the casual driver really dont matter..

I consider myself a casual driver and it does matter to me. $200 for what I consider a higher end radio is not a bad price. You get what you pay for, they're cheap for a reason.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
I consider myself a casual driver and it does matter to me. $200 for what I consider a higher end radio is not a bad price. You get what you pay for, they're cheap for a reason.
How many rigs do you have?

I have 4-5 that are working at any one time so I need a bunch of RXs unless I want to swap stuff around all the time.

Lets see...For the 4pl I am out $200 for the radio with 1 RX, then I need 4 more at $50 a piece...Now I have spent $400.

With a GT3B I am out $50 for the radio and only $40 for 4 more RXs so under $100 rather than $400.

Now the reason I initially asked what the intended use was is to see if this would also be used for some go fast RCs, in that case it may be worth it for the higher framerate. In my mind the BT3B is hands down the best radio for crawling on a budget and just because it costs less doesnt make it necessarily worse for this purpose. If I did run go fast as well I would probably still use a GT3B for my crawlers and pick up something else for the high speed stuff where framerate really matters.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Yashua

After using Spectrum radio's for quite some time when I built my super I went with the 4PL and its a GREAT radio, 4 times my other ones, now I just have to pick up 4 recievers sometime to switch all my rigs over to it, and the nice part is the ability to have each rig have its own model settings in the radio.
As for crawling , you'll never run out of options with the 4PL.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
How many rigs do you have?

I have 4-5 that are working at any one time so I need a bunch of RXs unless I want to swap stuff around all the time.

Lets see...For the 4pl I am out $200 for the radio with 1 RX, then I need 4 more at $50 a piece...Now I have spent $400.
you can get that number down by about 80 bucks using these rx's
Futaba R2106GF 2.4Ghz FHSS Micro 6Ch Receiver FUTL7605 | eBay
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
He means the 3pk is $200 less than the 4pk.
Yes that's exactly what I meant. $200 less than the 4PK. I just assumed that no one would think I meant you can buy a radio (that's worth a sh*t) for $9.99, and would recommend such a thing. My bad.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

My point exactly! Agreed 100%
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

if this is for only crawlers or backyard bashers i would have to say the gt3b. ive been using mine since the radio can out on most of my 2ch rcs including my 4wd buggy on 3s, once losikids hack came out ive been using it on everything from my bashers to xr10 comp rig to my 1/14 tamiya big rig and rc converted excavator using all 6chs. for the price and functions it cant be beat and i havent had a single issue with it since day 1 and i prefer it over my old dx3r
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote

which should I buy, Futaba 4PL or hacked FS-GT3B? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hacked FlySky GT3B vs Futaba 3PM-x & 4PL....... Charlie-III Electronics 32 05-24-2012 05:32 AM
~~~GIVEAWAY: OverkillRC Pre Hacked Flysky GT3B~~~ losikid Electronics 185 09-23-2011 07:48 AM