Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: To buy, Or not to buy, MG995 servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default To buy, Or not to buy, MG995 servos

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy these set of 4 MG995 servos (with no brand badging) off of ebay for under $20?

4 Set MG995 Metal Gear High Speed & Torque Digi Servo | eBay

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is?
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: To buy, Or not to buy, MG995 servos

161 sold, good seller feedback, 17 bucks... Even I wouldn't need convincing. Go for it.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Defy Gravity

they're hit or miss, either you get a decent one or not. i have one in my vendetta mini buggy. slight problem with it over-steering then going back to center. its a gamble at best really, the other one i got at the same time sucked and got converted to a winch.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

TowerPro MG995 metal gear servo (clone) mini-review - YouTube

this should answer your question
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
cherry bomb

jackalope you are making a common rookie mistake, you are not taking into consideration the shipping cost, $34 for 4 of them is NOT a good deal, they are the shittiest servo's i've ever tried on my crawlers.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Also they are rated at 4.8v,they might make a good winch servo. P.S they are 11.99 new.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thats all what I figured! I wasn't even going to consider them without some background checking. Hah, that video was pretty funny!
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ive bought 4 once and i never had a chance for there to be electrical issues, either the gears would break or the case itself would. ive had better luck with the towerpro 946r and 996r
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
~THE SCALE SHOP~

ive always had good luck with the both the towerpro MG (genuine) servos. even when submerging them.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i ran a tower pro off 6 volts in my scaler for a free spool servo winch and i couldn't kill it. thing i liked about it most was the potentiometer was easy to remove out of it so i could hot glue it to the top of the servo to adjust drift as needed.
then i smartened up completely and put a switch in line with the power lead.

in fact that same winch is going in another rig i have been building.

my son has one in his red wranger. works mint for what we do.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That video makes no sense at all, I have a few of these servos and aside from the centering issues they really are a good cheap servo and nowhere even remotely close to how slow he makes them out to be...just another nerd with a webcam that thinks he knows everything.

if he was comparing it to say a hitec 7950 or similar then yes but for the price its a good cheap throwaway servo that you wont feel the pinch if you screw it up.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

My 995 is awesome.. Toughest servo I've owned and run it on 7 volts..
See my silly video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFr0X...e_gdata_player

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
That video makes no sense at all, I have a few of these servos and aside from the centering issues they really are a good cheap servo and nowhere even remotely close to how slow he makes them out to be...just another nerd with a webcam that thinks he knows everything.

if he was comparing it to say a hitec 7950 or similar then yes but for the price its a good cheap throwaway servo that you wont feel the pinch if you screw it up.
Not necessarily just some nerd with a webcam (seriously, does everyone on this site insult those who disagree with them?)... He mentioned how that model of servo had been cloned multiple times by multiple different companies. I'd believe it, and wouldn't be surprised if the ones in the Ebay ad are "clones of clones" (how he worded it) or just as bad as he made it sound. For 17 bucks for for, may be worth the gamble... I'd probably jump on it if I had more 2.2 trucks.

As much as I dislike "Jang" I think he's pretty fair in his reviews, and doesn't beat up on "cheapie" products just because they're not name brand.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 02-04-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
(seriously, does everyone on this site insult those who disagree with them?)
You're wrong, dumbass.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You're wrong, dumbass.
Well, next time you need help swapping hard drives I'll keep my input out of it.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have one on my nitro drift car it's a ok servo got a losi to change to just no time
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I swear, mine has been one tough bugger.. It's been in my honcho and in my wraith after my Hitec 7954 stripped its gears. It's now back in my honcho. I run a BEC at 7 volts and the servo doesn't miss a beat.
I got mine from deal extreme for $10.75 with free shipping. It took about 25 days to arrive. I just bought a 996r from the same place and it seems quieter through its movement, but is more glitchy with lots of little digital servo type noises.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
Not necessarily just some nerd with a webcam (seriously, does everyone on this site insult those who disagree with them?)... He mentioned how that model of servo had been cloned multiple times by multiple different companies. I'd believe it, and wouldn't be surprised if the ones in the Ebay ad are "clones of clones" (how he worded it) or just as bad as he made it sound. For 17 bucks for for, may be worth the gamble... I'd probably jump on it if I had more 2.2 trucks.

As much as I dislike "Jang" I think he's pretty fair in his reviews, and doesn't beat up on "cheapie" products just because they're not name brand.
No we just cant help but notice ignorance!

And what is the point of your post? you took the time to make a crack at me for my disagreement as to how bad he makes the servo out to be.. but then you say you would jump on getting one?

I've never seen this "jang" guy before but first impressions will make or break you... Like I said I own several of these "clones of clones" from ebay and they are nothing like what he sais about them. so there my previous statment stands just another nerd with a webcam. bad review
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i have had a few 995's, some have not lasted long, but usually thats after a big impact. one i have has been on a f.off truck and is still good despite being under water with no waterproofing done. the 996R is better, but more expensive. at the end of the day if i bought a higher priced/quailty servo and broke it i would be pissed. it depends on what the servo is going to be used for. if its light use and does the job then its worth saving the money. most have broken after my crawler took a big tumble and that might have broken a different servo anyway.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
No we just cant help but notice ignorance!

And what is the point of your post? you took the time to make a crack at me for my disagreement as to how bad he makes the servo out to be.. but then you say you would jump on getting one?

I've never seen this "jang" guy before but first impressions will make or break you... Like I said I own several of these "clones of clones" from ebay and they are nothing like what he sais about them. so there my previous statment stands just another nerd with a webcam. bad review
Speaking of ignorance, your post is a shining example... Your little sampling of these clones obviously does not speak for all of them. How many different manufacturers are yours from? Do you know? If there's a bunch of different manufacturers producing these things, and they're all rip offs of each other, the quality is going to be hit and miss, and could very well be as junky as he described his to be.

Relevant analogy: none of my Xbox 360's have ever had the RRoD, therefore everyone else who's received a POS product must be full of shit, right? Here's another one for you: my grandmother's 2009 Toyota Camry never had any issues with unintended acceleration. Therefore everyone else = full of shit?

I'm taking the time to point out to you how ignorant your own line of logic is by attempting to throw insults because someone's experience with a product (which may or may not be identical) differs from yours and assuming that your copies are the same as his copies and that there is no varying quality between Chinese knockoffs. You can choose to fix that, or you can choose to continue being an ignoramus.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 02-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

To buy, Or not to buy, MG995 servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what servos to buy? axialnut Electronics 11 01-22-2011 01:53 AM
Buy a kit or buy just a pair of axles iphong Tamiya Clod Buster 8 04-26-2007 12:46 PM
Best place to buy to buy lexan bodies!! RYY Newbie General 2 11-24-2006 11:38 AM
Bluebird servos are the biggest pieces of crap in history..dont ever buy one AdamF Electronics 12 02-15-2005 03:08 PM