Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Oiginal CC Sidewinder Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Oiginal CC Sidewinder Issues

My CC Sidewinder is playing up. Was in my old sporty rig, worked fine, since moving to my new rig ive had a few issues every now and again. Below is the symptoms and where im at.

Ok guys what do i have backwards?

Issue: no Drag brake.

Solution i have tried so far, hooked up CC link and set drag brake to max, 213%.

Re tested, still no drag brake when going up an incline.

Went back into Castle link and set motor direcction hoping it would revese my situation only thing it changed was puling trigger for forwards it went in reverse and vice versa when selecting reverse.

put back way it was.

Last option ive got to try is reverse motor wires, which ill try tomorrow but if im thinking clearly will only do same as reversing motor direction via castle link.. Any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated.

Seperatly via the Castle link i have found the following;
Set via castle link reverse to 50% as she flys backwards and wanted to slow it down. After doing so re tried still no drag brake and 50% speed forwards, flat out in revearse, so tells me something hooked up incorrectly somwhere as seems to have the option when set to reverse 50% on in a forwards direction it has the 50% speed applied whn it should actually be applied to the revearse direction.

This would indicate to me something is backward, just cant put my finger on what.

Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

Ben

PS have shorted motor wires and turned motor and motor becomes stiff to turn. so would indicate more likely an esc issue. Motor is an Atlas 37T motor. Have also tried using an older software update and still no differance.
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Oiginal CC Sidewinder Issues

Are you sure that your throttle trim is set at neutral? Any value above and below might be applying voltage to the motor and not allowing your drag brake from the ESC to work...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

1-Set everything back to the way it was (wiring, channel direction, etc.)
2-Recalibrate the ESC to the RX (throttle trim @ "0" and throttle EPA's to 100%.)
3-Try the rig again.

Has it always done this, it did it just get worse over time?
It may be that the brushes are getting worn and you are losing brush tension on the comm.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I had to reset my ESC with the Castle Link on the laptop. Just do a factory defaults. Then do as Charlie said.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Ok guys what do i have backwards?

Seperatly via the Castle link i have found the following;
Set via castle link reverse to 50% as she flys backwards and wanted to slow it down. After doing so re tried still no drag brake and 50% speed forwards, flat out in revearse, so tells me something hooked up incorrectly somwhere as seems to have the option when set to reverse 50% on in a forwards direction it has the 50% speed applied whn it should actually be applied to the revearse direction.

This would indicate to me something is backward, just cant put my finger on what.
My how poignant that last remark is! (grin)

On the transmitter (the part you hold in your hand, with the trigger on it), look for a channel reverse switch or option in your programming menu. Reverse the throttle channel from what it is now, ie., if it's in Normal now, go to Reverse, if it's already in Reverse, go to Normal. Make sure your throttle channel EPA's are still at 100%, trim at 0, then re-calibrate your ESC. That will get your 50% reverse setting to slow your truck going backwards. Once you do that it's very likely you'll need to either go into the ESC and reverse motor direction or swap the wires on your motor to get the trigger back to the standard pull=forward orientation.

Now the question becomes, since your transmitter looks to be backwards right now, is you ESC "seeing" full throttle reverse when you pull the triggger, and matching it's output to give you the results you want? Probably. But, is that why you can't adjust the drag brake? My next question would probably be... with your radio set up as it was in the original post, if you go full throttle reverse, and let off, does the drag brake activate? Find that out and report back, and let us know what you find out.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks all for all coments no matter how simple...

When i get home from work ill reset everything and start again.

For the record this esc was in my previous sportsman truck and working fine. The settings on the Tx essentually havent changed. The direction is set to normal on the Tx.

I realise something is backwards thus the question and the point relating to the reverse setting seemimg to be backward in the whole mix of variables.

I have not checked Brushes but wiil before moving on to Tx/Rx as is a different motor to the previous sportsman motor i had used.

Ben.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

An update. All i reset all functions on the Tx, and went through each setting again, i recorded all the values for each throttle setting in my setup before resetting everything. After going through each setting the values are basically the same.
As for the motor brushes look like they have use (of course) and one has slight chipping but they are not burnt or discoloured. I might send it to a mate that has a motor service and get it serviced/tuned before ordering a new motor. As the motor leads are the correct way around the other posibility is the enbell is the wrong way around causing the reverese/forwards conflict i mentioned earlier. By playing with a combination of the Tx and Esc settings via the castle link that issue is sorted.

The original problem still lies, no drag brake in either direction on a slope.
On the flat accellerating quickly in either direction it stops the truck but nod a sudden stop like a full on drag brake tends to, though its not rolling to a stop either, sorta slows for a split second then stops.
On a slope it just rolls down forward or backwards 95% of the time, where on occassion it holds but in no way consistantly, which makes me lean toward a motor issue if its just in one position on the com the motor holds and the rest it dosent. I dont have a spare motor currently to try in it, thus my mates motor service might be the go.

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 02-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Did you flip the throttle channel to reverse, set trim to zero, endpoints to 100 and the turn the truck on while holding full throttle to set the ESC? Sounds like your trying to adjust your endpoints to match the ESC?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You need to calibrate, its just that simple.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

To all that have said to re calibrate, set the endpoints etc. I appreciate the suggestions and although i didnt specify doing so when i reset the esc to factory defaults, reset the factory settings on the Tx, recalibrated everything, they all have been done.

I just pulled a my HH 45T hand wound out of my XR10 to test the motor theory and had perfect drag brake with all settings as above in the steepest settings of my vert board and it held perfectly until it was at the point in wanted to flip the truck over to which it did in both forward and reverse. As susspected the motor is my issue.

Thank you to all for all the suggestions even the basic description from Trouble advising my what my Tx is ;). Luckily for me i knew what you were refering to but if i had used a stick radio, your explination of a Tx may not have been usefull.

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 02-04-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Luckily for me i knew what you were refering to but if i had used a stick radio, your explination of a Tx may not have been usefull.
Point taken. Glad to hear you got the problem figured out.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Small update i sent this motor to my mate Dan at Hulksta Engineering who serviced it for me. The motor originally came in a 2nd hand scaler i baught from Tasmania. I have no knowledge of its history and i baught the scaler for the scaler not the motor that came in it. It turns out it had, hada very tough life of mud and water and was heavily worn. however it was retrieveable,
. Dan cut the com back, added new brushes, the can got zapped, clean and re oiling of the bearings. It started off with 7724 RPM with 63watts of power, after the service it had 8479 RPM at 69 watts so a slight gain in rpm and power. Its deffinitly quieter and smoother and an improvmet from previously. The link on my local forum if anyone is interested on page 2 Crawl ANZ • View topic - Brushed motor tech

I hoped all this would assisst with getting my Drag brake working. However it wasnt to be. This motor just wasnt designed to work in a comp rig.

However after more playing around with the motor, esc and setup i found a few things. With the end points to max and the neutral zeroed and the recalibration of the esc and the esc reset and setting reset into the esc still no drag brake .....

But if i held the truck in the air and accellerated fwds or reverse i had instant stop. Under load (rig on ground is would stop quickly but not instantly, but on a slope it would roll back as befeore. However on the vert board if i release the trigger quickly to neutral it rolls. However If i release the throttle slowly in fwds or reverse ie from 0-5-10 seconds it holds fast on the slope in either direction untill i move off again and again if i let off the throttle slowly it will hold but quickly it wont and will just roll.

Another variable and not unsuprisingly if i wind up the neutral point in wither forwards or reverase to the point just back from where the truck actually moves under its own steam to to speak it will hold steadfast on the slop but only in the direction ive wound up the neutral point on. But i cant find that middle ground.

Any other thoughts otherthan this is not a crawler motor?

Annyone got any suggestions??

Ben
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

There is "brake" as well as "drag brake" in most CC ESC's. I run 213% drag brake in my MOA.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Hey Charlie, yea am aware of this, both are at max settings. However with exhisting setup on esc it works fine with another motor.

Oiginal CC Sidewinder Issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sidewinder issues stewbaru Electronics 0 02-17-2011 09:57 PM
Sidewinder issues TOMS97ZJ Electronics 1 09-23-2010 05:34 AM
Anyone else having programming issues with the CC Sidewinder? ToTheMAXXcrawler Electronics 3 06-09-2010 09:17 PM
Sidewinder issues!!!! theslowguy Electronics 27 03-16-2009 02:31 PM
sidewinder issues! tallyram Electronics 7 07-29-2008 04:49 PM