Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Fxr,now nervous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Fxr,now nervous.

I just bought the tekin fxr with the 45t tekin motor combo for my ax10 sportsman build, now should i be ready with a fire exstinguisher an the tekin email address? just read some posts on here about fires an faulty fxrs, did i just make a bad buying decision ? this setup looks to be good for comps an backyard crawling , any input?
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fxr,now nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlernut View Post
I just bought the tekin fxr with the 45t tekin motor combo for my ax10 sportsman build, now should i be ready with a fire exstinguisher an the tekin email address? just read some posts on here about fires an faulty fxrs, did i just make a bad buying decision ? this setup looks to be good for comps an backyard crawling , any input?
Just stick it in there, follow the set up instructions and go have fun. If you see smoke then that's the time to worry.

We've been using those for years in our club and not one has ever emolated itself. A few have been toasted by pluging in the battery backwards but not one FXR has set itself on fire.

Last edited by AreCee; 02-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The FXR is one of the most popular if not the most popular ESC with members on here. You can rest assured that you are getting a quality product with great service, even if there is a problem they will take care of you.

As with any product people who have a problem are much more likely to start a thread telling everyone about their problem and trying to solve it. How many times have you seen a thread titled "My (Product Name Here) Works Perfectly Money Well Spent"?

Perfect Comp/Bashing ESC.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Allright then, gonna go with it an thanks for the comforting replies insteadof the bad replies, its funny it allways seems to be 50/50 about electrical products. people tend too go with the bad an ugly more than the good when it comes too deciding what esc to buy.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

All of the major companies have very high quality products and they all have similar failure rates. What makes one company better than another is how they deal with failures and how they support their products.

As far as I am concerned Tekin has the best customer service of anyone that I have had the need for support.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have a Pro 35T combo and its amazing. Throw it in and just pay attention to the directions.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The firs FX-R I fried was my fault for plugging in the battery backwards. oops.

The second one that actually had flames was deffective. Tekin handled both promptly and proffesionally. I have great faith in their products. No worries here. The replacement they sent workes flawlessly.

Just doooo iiiiit.
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Have 3 of them. No problems. If it goes up, they have great customer service.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm probably one of the people who got you worried from that other thread.
I just wanted to say reinstate that you shouldn't worry about it. The Fxr a good product. Who knows what happened to mine yet but I'm not really that concerned. They can't all be perfect. I'm more surprised about how little problems people have with them considering how many people run them in their rigs.
If the fxr suits your needs then dont hesitate to pick one up.

Edit: my phone doesn't agree with my word choice. Or maybe my fingers are too fat.

Last edited by FullScaleDreams; 02-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
FullScaleDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

IAM over it now, got it in the mail today cant wait to install it later this evening, got a gtg trail \ comp this wkend sure like to try it out, was running a axial wriath esc, put that in my venom scaler rig, my ax10 should love this fxr an a new tekin 45t , ill get back to you guys with my results.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I had an FX-R catch on fire, but I also took the case off and coated it with liquid electrical tape. I have had 2 of them and love them! When putting them in balloons to waterproof, they have been fantastic ESCs. I was told, when I posted about the fire, that several other people had reported fires. The ESC was brand new/unused (ordered Dec '11) when I opened it and waterproofed it. It worked great when i tested it in a cup of water on the bench. Then I ran it in a SCX in/out/around a creek for hours- no problems. Later I ran it in muddy/sandy water for a while... it was fine. ~10 mins later, on dry land, it started smoking then burst into flames. After reading a LOT on the forums here, I believe the motor drew huge current and the ESC, being insulated, overheated and burned up. I'd recommend one but I really don't know if there is a bad batch out there... Maybe wait a while and watch to forums.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Mine have all been great, well except for one of them that I bought used and it quit (smoke no flames) on me, but it was all my fault.
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
even if there is a problem they will take care of you.
Unless you want to get new servo leads on the fxr...they wanted to charge me a $50 replacement fee as its very difficult for even their most experienced tech to replace the servo leads

Why would you design an esc that can't have the servo leads replaced somewhat easily?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Unless you want to get new servo leads on the fxr...they wanted to charge me a $50 replacement fee as its very difficult for even their most experienced tech to replace the servo leads

Why would you design an esc that can't have the servo leads replaced somewhat easily?
Thats easy to avoid, just stop gnawing on your leads!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post

Why would you want servo leads on a ESC? No wonder why they wanted to charge you!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Thats easy to avoid, just stop gnawing on your leads!
But the pvc insulation is so delicious and it has abit of zing added to it when its plugged in...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

A clean soldering job and proper set up will provide hassle free performance from your FX-R; they are outstanding speed controls and deserving of the praise given here.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

OK,with the snow storm that blowed in this past fri nite, i got my fxr installed an programed some adjustments,( more drag brake an lipo cut off) ran it in the house climbing makeshift rock piles,i kept checking everything for any issues, the + an - cap you have to solder on seemed to get pretty warm, i had a small esc fan with some brackets i made an installed it over top the fxr,ran 2 seven cell 1600 batts,then my 2cell lipo,all 3 non stop,just gotta say i love this tekin fxr esc,smooth as butter control an the adjustments are so easy to do, also the small size an lite weight of it are perfect,now the snow can go away an i can get outside on to my rockpile an give it a real workout!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I wouldn't think you need a fan but it wouldn't hurt.
I have a fxr sealed in a water proof box with no vent holes and run G6 comps with it....2 battery packs through it I will have to check the temp of the cap next time.
I have 6 fxr's and never had a problem. one time i got my comp rig jammed up SO bad it popped the cap...& it was loud!!, I just replaced the cap and it's still in my comp rig, working fine
My first fxr (2008 ) I completely dunked at a comp at the river and another time after that (someone yelled at me to unplug my battery fast!) and that one is still going strong. I have it in my scaler just in case but its still fine.

I will have to check the temps on the cap next time, that has me curious now
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
www.team3sixrc.com

The big thing to pay attention to is following the directions.
The 5 mistakes that most new users do is....
1. Soldering the cap on backwards. The blue on the cap faces a certain direction.
2. Soldering the wires wrong, pay attention to what is battery and what is motor and what gets a negative/positive
3. Using a crap soldering iron and overheating the board.
4. Using a lipo that is over rated for the ESC
And 5. Not using a BEC if you should have one.

You really don't want to submerge the ESC in water.
Balloon the ESC and zip tie it if you plan on going in water.
using a dab of silicone helps at the opening too.

No worries on a bushed motor in water.
just don't run it in water with a lot if debris floating around.
If there is debris in the water, I found a nylon or medical wrap works great and keeps the motor from over heating.

When your done, spray out your motor with compressed air and spray some cowr/c lube inside to keep the com and bearings from rusting

Last edited by team3six; 02-13-2012 at 08:55 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote

Fxr,now nervous. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excited and Nervous!!!! John Deere Chit Chat 31 10-02-2010 09:21 AM
Tekin FXR and FXR-pro ESCs in stock JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 35 09-17-2009 09:40 PM