Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My Expectations or the electronics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Expectations or the electronics?

Okay, so I started out with a Redcat 6 months ago and really enjoyed that. I got very used to how it would react in most situations. As my daughters began to love it to, I gave it to my daughters and started a Bully build for myself.

Now, the Redcat is still mostly stock as far as the electronics are concerned. It seemed to have a decent brake effect on a a steep incline without rolling to much with zero throttle input. My Bully has a Novak M2, bigger (to me) but low budget 45t motors with 13/12t pinions and a hacked Gt3b.

I got a chance to finally get it out in the rocks this weekend and was not impressed with its freewheeling feel without throttle input on inclines. I had the M2 brake setting on 80%. The thing stops scary fast when you let off the throttle on a level surface, but dang near free wheeled on an incline.

Do you think it was the M2, cheap motors, pinion # or the weight of the vehicle in general? Or is it as combination of several aspects?

Any help you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Default Re: My Expectations or the electronics?

cheap motors in general have horrible holding power

M2 may be part of it
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Did you properly calibrate your ESC to your radio signal? Does it roll backwards more easily than forwards?

I dont have any experience with the M2 so I cant comment on the strength of its drag brake.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Did you properly calibrate your ESC to your radio signal? Does it roll backwards more easily than forwards?

I dont have any experience with the M2 so I cant comment on the strength of its drag brake.
I'm think I did. It went exactly as the manual said it should. When I change the %, there is a definite change in how far it rolls when you let off of the throttle. I would say it rolled as easily forward as it did backwards.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

how "cheap" are your motors? im running a cheap hpi 55t motor in my honcho and the stock 55t in my ax10 RTC and the hpi motor is weak and wont hold itself on a hill.

a friend of mine just replaced his 55t motor with an integy 55t motor and it will hold itself on a hill very well.. he paid 50 bucks for his.

i have no experience with the M2 but sounds like some of your problem is from the motor. thats just the way a cheap motor is. my hpi i think was like 25-30 bucks or something if i remember right..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well I didn't want the vendor to feel I was putting them on blast. They are very cheap motors @ less than $15 each. I know you get what you pay for, but I can't believe that Redcat is putting "good" motors in their low end crawlers either.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The biggest part of my issue is I don't have any baseline for my guesses. It's all a brand new build to me and I haven't been RC crawling all that long. I have never ran these products before so I don't know their individual characteristics.

You wanna talk 1:1? I'm your guy! I would know what to expect there. But this is SOOO different.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have an M2 in my Berg with HH 45t motors (put in in as a spare - not a huge fan of it). Was having the same issue. It was the M2 settings. I forget exactly what I did, but I used the manual and the push button programming to crank up the drag brake. I adjusted a bunch of other settings too and it pretty much fixed the problem.
new2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

on the m2 to have somewhat decent drag brakes it must be turned up to max, then your motors will likely have something to do with it.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thank you guys for the first hand knowledge of the M2. I never tried the drag brake higher than 90% because of how scary quick (read: VIOLENT!!!!) it would stop when I released the throttle.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwall85 View Post
Thank you guys for the first hand knowledge of the M2. I never tried the drag brake higher than 90% because of how scary quick (read: VIOLENT!!!!) it would stop when I released the throttle.
Yea that does take some getting used to, my comp rig will go end over end on flat when I just let off the throttle at full speed.

It just requires a smooth transition from power to neutral.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote

My Expectations or the electronics? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM
Electronics...I think?? timspr Electronics 4 06-11-2008 10:16 PM
electronics help rc4x4crawler Electronics 2 05-09-2008 01:57 PM
Used Electronics?! m3kan1k Newbie General 9 05-01-2008 01:43 PM