Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Still no Steering. SOLVED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Still no Steering. SOLVED

Starting tofeel like a menice but GT3B, Dual No Name ESC, CYS S0150 Servos.

Everything works except for both front and rear steer. I connected my front servo to another RC and TX/RX and it worked.

They worked at one point when I was just finishing things off with a 3ch RX. Did I fry something in the ESC's? Do I a BEC (or 2 with the 4ws?)?

Last edited by JKMotorsports; 02-15-2012 at 05:14 PM.
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Still no Steering.

alot of no name esc's don't have an internal bec, thats probely the case here
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Maybe this will help...
GT3 no enter or trim buttons?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

the have a built in 6v bec and they did work up until 2 days ago.

Last edited by JKMotorsports; 02-12-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt6 View Post
A lot of no name ESC's don't have an internal BEC, that's probably the case here
Huh??

I can honestly say I haven't seen a non-BEC ESC in a decade or 2 or close to 3. If you know of a single one, please let me know! My 1st BEC ESC was early 80's (Novak), as far as I know, pretty much any ESC from the late 80's onward have an internal BEC. While they may suck for high draw crawler servos (over ~200inoz), they are fine for a RX.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
They have a built in 6v BEC and they did work up until 2 days ago.
Did you try & measure a voltage out of the ESC BEC (with the ESC powered up)??
Are you sure you plugged the servos in correctly?? (dark wire.....brown or black....towards the outer edge of the RX).
Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Huh??

I can honestly say I haven't seen a non-BEC ESC in a decade or 2 or close to 3. If you know of a single one, please let me know! My 1st BEC ESC was early 80's (Novak), as far as I know, pretty much any ESC from the late 80's onward have an internal BEC. While they may suck for high draw crawler servos (over ~200inoz), they are fine for a RX.
Castle MMP 1 cell...

Castle Creations | One Cell Mamba Max Pro 1/10th Scale ESC

The issue seems radio related, do you have throttle control? What if you plug the servo into the throttle channel? Does it work then?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
OK, I "sit corrected".....

I would bet the circuit is there, just turned off.

Regardless....yes, I now have a spec that shows a "non-existant" internal BEC. Sigh.

Thanks SMR.

[Stupid in my mind....but I'm a field/service guy....NOT a sales guy......]
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I would bet the circuit is there, just turned off.
Nope wrong again, says in the link

"These controllers will have their BEC circuit disabled - removed actually - so you will need an outboard 4.8 - 6.0 volt power source to run your electronics. We recommend a CC BEC with a small 2s LiPo or a separate 4/5 cell NiMH receiver pack."
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nope wrong again, says in the link

"These controllers will have their BEC circuit disabled - removed actually - so you will need an outboard 4.8 - 6.0 volt power source to run your electronics. We recommend a CC BEC with a small 2s LiPo or a separate 4/5 cell NiMH receiver pack."
Sigh.......

Bang head......
Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Castle MMP 1 cell...

Castle Creations | One Cell Mamba Max Pro 1/10th Scale ESC

The issue seems radio related, do you have throttle control? What if you plug the servo into the throttle channel? Does it work then?
I do have full motor control and dig function from the rx and radio. i have not tried connecting them to a esc channel. I'll try that latter but if the bec in the esc is toast (that would mean i fried two because of the dual esc?). I'll also toss it in my truck tonight and test the output voltage will some good equipment at work tomorrow.

Sucks as i wanted it running the upcoming weekend and no online shop can get a bec to me by then and no lhs within a one hour radius.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sooo....you're running dual ESC's....did you have both red ESC to RX wires connected??
You should only have ONE red wire feeding the RX (either from an ESC or an external BEC).
If running dual ESC's, it's best to remove one red ESC to RX wire from the connector & tape it up.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do have full motor control and dig function from the rx and radio. i have not tried connecting them to a esc channel. I'll try that latter but if the bec in the esc is toast (that would mean i fried two because of the dual esc?). I'll also toss it in my truck tonight and test the output voltage will some good equipment at work tomorrow.

Sucks as i wanted it running the upcoming weekend and no online shop can get a bec to me by then and no lhs within a one hour radius.
If your motors are working then your BEC isnt the problem since the RX is getting power from somewhere...Im not saying that they will be able to run your servos to their potential but the steering should work. A BEC is a solid investment, I recommend wiring it directly to both servos and letting the internal BEC run the RX.

You sure you have the servos plugged in correctly? They arent backwards? They arent in the wrong slot?

It sounds like you are running dual ESC's and 4ws...Have you tried using a fresh model to see if you got your programming for the servo wrong?

You just need to keep crossing possible causes of the list until you find the one thing that is not correct. No one here is going to be able to just tell you what it is, all of these problems are specific to your exact setup so without the truck in front of us its hard to figure out.

So far we know:
  • The servos work with a different radio
  • The receiver has power and should pass it on to the servos (when you turn it on do the servos buz, get stiff or move at all?)
  • Signal is getting to the receiver from the transmitter because you have control of the throttle

Keep adding to that list until you find the problem.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 02-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Is your servo plugged in backwards? Black wire to the outside
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well last thing to try is different servos as I get nothing plugging them into the rear esc channel.

Yes they are plugged in right.Checked, double checked andeven tried it the other way.

I will be getting a bec, just no lhs so I either got to go into the city or order online. How many amp should I go for?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well last thing to try is different servos as I get nothing plugging them into the rear esc channel.

Yes they are plugged in right. Checked, double checked and even tried it the other way.

I will be getting a bec, just no lhs so I either got to go into the city or order online. How many amp should I go for?
It really sounds like you have an issue with either the RX (for steering channels) or TX set-up (programming is incorrect for steering).

Most of us use the Castle Creations 10A BEC. I wire it direct to the servo, others (and CC in their directions) run it through the RX.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Well if it was an RX issue withthe steering channels would the servo not function when plugged into a motor ch?

Also it did the same thing when I was rear steer delete and using a 3ch reciever. It literally worked one day and not the next. I was hoping it was my old RX but it was not.

I have reloaded radio firmware and went through losikids step by step setup and nothing. Plus CH1 should be steering by default and it doesn't work also.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well if it was an RX issue with the steering channels would the servo not function when plugged into a motor ch?

Also it did the same thing when I was rear steer delete and using a 3ch reciever. It literally worked one day and not the next. I was hoping it was my old RX but it was not.

I have reloaded radio firmware and went through losikids step by step setup and nothing. Plus CH1 should be steering by default and it doesn't work also.
In post 1, you stated the servo worked in a different rig with a different radio, thus I believe that rules out the servo being an issue.
Maybe I missed something?
Plugging the servo into the RX and trying to "steer" using the throttle on the TX should make it work (since you say the ESC's work).
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Right. It does. I'm starting to loose track of what I've done.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yes they are plugged in right.Checked, double checked andeven tried it the other way.

Quote:
Right. It does. I'm starting to loose track of what I've done.
So they did work or didnt work when plugged into the throttle channels?

Still no Steering. SOLVED - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BTA steering vs regular steering daniel15fl Venom Creeper 44 11-08-2010 11:22 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
Getting more steering from the Bully axles after Modding for more steering jcboof RC4WD Bully 15 01-31-2010 10:01 PM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM