RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Novak Rooster Crawler loses power when steering (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/367262-novak-rooster-crawler-loses-power-when-steering.html)

DMANbluesfreak 02-19-2012 09:25 AM

Novak Rooster Crawler loses power when steering

Hey guys,

I just bought a rooster crawler from another member on here and I'm having issues when crawling. Whenever I try to steer in a tight spot, the crawler loses power to the motor. It will stay like this until I turn the steering wheel of the transmitter to the position that the wheels are turned and then I can continue crawling. It is very annoying and I'd like to know how to fix it. I'm running an integy 55t motor, and have a Novak 55t motor as well.

I've thought about buying a BEC but that shouldn't be required with a higher end ESC such as this. My servo is only an HS-645MG so it shouldn't be pulling THAT much power.

Please advise. Thanks!

Greatscott 02-19-2012 10:27 AM

There aren't that many times when a BEC isn't a good idea.

DMANbluesfreak 02-19-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Novak Rooster Crawler loses power when steering

I actually just swapped motors and it seems to work fine now. The only difference I see between the two is that the integy is missing the capacitors. Could that be causing the issue?

Charlie-III 02-19-2012 10:34 AM

The small caps on the motor are more to reduce interference to the radio.
Some motors have a large cap to deal with surges (same as a large cap on the ESC).

If you have large caps, they may be masking a brownout caused by steering servo draw, a good external BEC will fix that.

As to a "high end" ESC not having the issue, unless it's a HH BRXL ESC, the rest of the ESC's have BEC issues when you have a ~200inoz+ servo on it.

DMANbluesfreak 02-19-2012 10:55 AM

It's a HS-645MG... thats like a 140in-oz servo. If that... Thats why I was thrown off.

DMANbluesfreak 03-08-2012 10:27 PM

Sooooo, I bought a CC BEC and followed their wiring diagram from their website to wire it up... only issue is that the servo is severely down on power and slow (more so than with just the ESC). Any ideas?

schiesz 03-08-2012 10:30 PM

Did you buy the BEC new, or do you have a castle link to program it? It might be set at a low voltage, though I doubt it. It should be set at 6v from the factory.

SMR 510RR 03-08-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak (Post 3618528)
Sooooo, I bought a CC BEC and followed their wiring diagram from their website to wire it up... only issue is that the servo is severely down on power and slow (more so than with just the ESC). Any ideas?

They come set at 5.1v, you need to hook it up to a Castle Link and up the voltage to 6v.

Sydwall85 03-08-2012 11:00 PM

X2, I just did this last week. Definitely set at 5.1v from factory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMR 510RR (Post 3618537)
They come set at 5.1v, you need to hook it up to a Castle Link and up the voltage to 6v.

DMANbluesfreak 03-09-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiesz (Post 3618535)
Did you buy the BEC new, or do you have a castle link to program it? It might be set at a low voltage, though I doubt it. It should be set at 6v from the factory.

Its set at 5.1v...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMR 510RR (Post 3618537)

You guys have to be kidding me... a servo should still operate at a reasonable speed and torque at 5.1v. This is like - pitiful. I can stop it with one finger and it takes almost a half a second to turn 60 degrees.

This is NOT normal. And I shouldn't have to reprogram it if its at factory settings.

EDIT: I actually just saw that there is supposed to be an LED that lights up on the BEC that I never saw (it could have been on, but I was unaware). Where is it located? If its off, obviously there is some other issue.