Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Recommendations for my new SCX10 Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

Default Recommendations for my new SCX10 Dingo

Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to the crawler world of RC and it has been over 15 years since I was into RC in general. I just bought a SCX10 Honcho RTR and love it. So after spending a weekend with it I decided to get a Dingo so I can start adding my own electronic. The Honcho purchase was easy cause it was right out of the box ready to go. Now that I have the Dingo on the way I wanted to know what everyone recommends. I like the speed of the Honcho out of the box. I had it on trails and that speed is fine with me. I do not need anything like the Wraith's speed. That is just too much. Any recommendations would certainly help. I don't want to go cheap so if I have to pay a little more to get better stuff I will.

I need Radio, Motor, ESC, Servos and anything else that would help.

I did some research and it looks like everyone likes the Tekin FX-R and 35T Combo. Is 45T going to be too slow for me? What about 55T?
TRICOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Recommendations for my new SCX10 Dingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICOMA View Post
I need Radio, Motor, ESC, Servos and anything else that would help.

I did some research and it looks like everyone likes the Tekin FX-R and 35T Combo. Is 45T going to be too slow for me? What about 55T?
Have you searched the SCX10 forum --> LINK

I did the research and ended up getting the Tekin 35T w/FXR, and Hitec HS-5645MG servo.

I also got a cheap 2.4GHz radio (Tactic TTX240) but will replace it later with something better.
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

the tekin 35t combo is good the 55t will be to slow and the 5645 has been holding for 2 years in my scx.
boost up the power if you can for maximum torqe.

Last edited by crawlhog; 02-20-2012 at 06:48 PM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
Have you searched the SCX10 forum --> LINK

I did the research and ended up getting the Tekin 35T w/FXR, and Hitec HS-5645MG servo.

I also got a cheap 2.4GHz radio (Tactic TTX240) but will replace it later with something better.
I didn't get a chance to check that out, thanks for the link. I was Google searching.

So it looks like the FX-R/35T combo is what's out there. They have a new HD version and the Pro Version. Which version would you get?

Do you think 45T would be too slow?

Also I am thinking about the Futaba 3pm-x or the Airtronics MX-3X. Any other suggestions on the radio?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
the tekin 35t combo is good the 55t will be to slow and the 5645 has been holding for 2 years in my scx.
boost up the power if you can for maximum torqe.

Boost up the power as in battery pack?

The local hobby store recommended this
Hitec HS-7954SH High Voltage Ultra Torque Dual BB Servo

Someone else recommended this
Hobbico CS-170 Std Digital Ultra Torq 2BB TG Servo U

Any thoughts on the above two?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Also I am thinking about the Futaba 3pm-x or the Airtronics MX-3X. Any other suggestions on the radio?
I'm a Futaba fan, so I vote the 3PM-x.

What else do you want to use....a winch, other options??

If you want to do a lot with the radio, a hacked GT3B is worth looking at.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Aluminum shock bodies, I didn't even bother with the plastic ones. I also went with a four link set up to fit my Chevy body.
4xdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
So it looks like the FX-R/35T combo is what's out there. They have a new HD version and the Pro Version. Which version would you get?

Do you think 45T would be too slow?
There are a million options out there. I have never had a Tekin; I use Castle ESC's in all my rigs. I'm pretty sure you can program the Tekin with a PC, but I use a Castle Link to set all the options on my PC with the Castles. With a Mamba Max or Mamba Max pro, you don't even need the castle link, just plug in a USB. You can also get a Holmes BRXL ESC or Axial AE2 and program it with the Castle Link.

I just got done building an SCX10 and I used a Castle Mamba Max and a Brood 35T. I've got it geared at 14/87 and the 35T is not too fast on 3S. If you gear it up (like 20/87) it would be faster. I'd rather gear down and volt up.

A lot is going to determine your speed, like battery (NiMH, Lipo 2S or 3S or higher) gearing, and to a some extent your ESC.

If you plan on using a servo with torque higher than 200oz, you better get a BEC to drive the servo. Maybe the Tekins are better, but the Castles don't have much juice to power a high torque servo. I use a Castle 10A BEC in mine.

Last edited by schiesz; 02-20-2012 at 07:54 PM.
schiesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I'm a Futaba fan, so I vote the 3PM-x.

What else do you want to use....a winch, other options??

If you want to do a lot with the radio, a hacked GT3B is worth looking at.

Not sure about winching yet. I used to wheel with my real Tacoma but I just don't have the time so I figure turn to RC. It cost less than fixing my 30k Tacoma.

I guess with radio it's pick it up and see how it feels. They all seem to have similar functions.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

OP, there are tons of options. It seems like you are looking at brushed so I will focus on that.

The Tekin FXR + 35t combo is a good setup, it is one of the most popular on here. The ESC has a very small footprint and in my opinion Tekin has the best customer support of any of the manufacturers.

Another option would be a Castle Sidewinder (V2 or SCT they are the same ESC different label) with your choice of motor. You can get these a little cheaper than the FXR on ebay but they are about 2x the footprint size.

The hands down best brushed ESC is the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL. It is a beast and will do up to 6s with no motor limit and is offered in a waterproof version if you plan to play in water or snow or whatever. They are a little more expensive than either of the two above options but if you want the best of the best that is it. Also it uses the same case as the Castle Sidewinder so they are the same size.

On to servos...

Hitec HS-7954SH is way overpriced for what it is if you ask me. You can get the HS-7950TH for $10 less and it is way more powerful and regarded as one of the best standard sized servos although it is slightly slower. Either way, if you plan on running 1.9's on this rig there is no need for so much power, this is an area where you can save a couple bucks and buy something like the HS-7955TG ($93.99) even that has more power than you will need. I suggest something between 200 to 300 oz/in. Now if you are going to move up to 2.2's I would go no lower than 300 oz/in although you can get away with less. The difference would be like a 1:1 with a standard steering box vs. a full hydro setup, often times on the trail is is realistic to not be able to steer fully. Keep in mind that the servo on your honcho probably doesnt have more than 200 in/oz so use that as a reference point.

On the radio there are so many options that you will just have to look through some stuff and figure out what you want. If you are on a budget it is really hard to look at anything other than a hacked GT3B ($50) best budget radio hands down. If you are looking to get something more expensive I would go with a Futaba 4PL, the extra channel will come in handy down the road, its always better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it. Both of those radios have all the programming options to allow for 4ws and dual ESC mixing so you are future proof as far as crawlers go and we tend to use more radio functions than go fast RC's any day. One great thing about the hacked GT3B is that you can use it with up to 8 channels, that can come in real handy if you go crazy with winches, lights, 4ws, etc on a scale build.

Good luck, hope that helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiesz View Post
Mamba Max pro, you don't even need the castle link, just plug in a USB.
That isnt correct, that was only the older ESC's now all of them use the Castle Link...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
That isnt correct, that was only the older ESC's now all of them use the Castle Link...
Oops, I thought I had a Max Pro with the USB here. Looks like it is just the older Mamba Max. Which just happens to be my favorite budget ESC. You can get them for cheap in the BST here, and they work great as long as you use a BEC for the servo power.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I just got some Brood Chaos 35t motors and really like them a lot. They are super smooth but have great speed on 3S. Even on 2S they are great.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I forgot to mention that you will want/need a quality external BEC to power the servo, most run the Castle Creations 10A BEC so that is what I would recommend.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
OP, there are tons of options. It seems like you are looking at brushed so I will focus on that.

The Tekin FXR + 35t combo is a good setup, it is one of the most popular on here. The ESC has a very small footprint and in my opinion Tekin has the best customer support of any of the manufacturers.

Another option would be a Castle Sidewinder (V2 or SCT they are the same ESC different label) with your choice of motor. You can get these a little cheaper than the FXR on ebay but they are about 2x the footprint size.

The hands down best brushed ESC is the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL. It is a beast and will do up to 6s with no motor limit and is offered in a waterproof version if you plan to play in water or snow or whatever. They are a little more expensive than either of the two above options but if you want the best of the best that is it. Also it uses the same case as the Castle Sidewinder so they are the same size.

On to servos...

Hitec HS-7954SH is way overpriced for what it is if you ask me. You can get the HS-7950TH for $10 less and it is way more powerful and regarded as one of the best standard sized servos although it is slightly slower. Either way, if you plan on running 1.9's on this rig there is no need for so much power, this is an area where you can save a couple bucks and buy something like the HS-7955TG ($93.99) even that has more power than you will need. I suggest something between 200 to 300 oz/in. Now if you are going to move up to 2.2's I would go no lower than 300 oz/in although you can get away with less. The difference would be like a 1:1 with a standard steering box vs. a full hydro setup, often times on the trail is is realistic to not be able to steer fully. Keep in mind that the servo on your honcho probably doesnt have more than 200 in/oz so use that as a reference point.

On the radio there are so many options that you will just have to look through some stuff and figure out what you want. If you are on a budget it is really hard to look at anything other than a hacked GT3B ($50) best budget radio hands down. If you are looking to get something more expensive I would go with a Futaba 4PL, the extra channel will come in handy down the road, its always better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it. Both of those radios have all the programming options to allow for 4ws and dual ESC mixing so you are future proof as far as crawlers go and we tend to use more radio functions than go fast RC's any day. One great thing about the hacked GT3B is that you can use it with up to 8 channels, that can come in real handy if you go crazy with winches, lights, 4ws, etc on a scale build.

Good luck, hope that helped!

That is a lot of great information. That is exactly what I was looking for. Recommendations with explanations. I think I will get the larger size servo just in case I go 2.2 but right now I plan on running the 1.9 for the scale look.

I was looking at the 4PL for that extra channel just in case. How much is involved get the radio hacked?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was looking at the 4PL for that extra channel just in case. How much is involved get the radio hacked?
You don't "hack" a 4PL, although there was an update early last year that made it more crawler friendly. Likely all new ones you can buy are already updated.

The FS GT3B can be stock or hacked. You can buy a GT3B and then get LosiKid's hack kit, have him hack your radio, or (even better) buy it already hacked direct from him.

Just go to www.OverKillRC.com to check it out. There is also a support thread in this forum just for this radio.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
On to servos...

Hitec HS-7954SH is way overpriced for what it is if you ask me. You can get the HS-7950TH for $10 less and it is way more powerful and regarded as one of the best standard sized servos although it is slightly slower.
It looks like the 7950 is about $140+ and the 7954 is about $80-$90.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
You don't "hack" a 4PL, although there was an update early last year that made it more crawler friendly. Likely all new ones you can buy are already updated.

The FS GT3B can be stock or hacked. You can buy a GT3B and then get LosiKid's hack kit, have him hack your radio, or (even better) buy it already hacked direct from him.

Just go to www.OverKillRC.com to check it out. There is also a support thread in this forum just for this radio.
Sorry I didn't mean the 4PL, I was referring to the GT3B. I would rather buy it directly from him. What does the hack do?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean the 4PL, I was referring to the GT3B. I would rather buy it directly from him. What does the hack do?
Lots of stuff.....why not follow the link I provided and read? No need for me to restate it here.
One of the biggest things is you get 8 channels (although some are basic).
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Lots of stuff.....why not follow the link I provided and read? No need for me to restate it here.

I did but when you work 60 hours a week sometimes it's just hard to look at the long threads. Appreciate the help. Most of my questions have been answered.

Thank you
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
He probably isn't reading it because when you follow the link it says "OverkillRC is undergoing a server change" whenever you click on anything.

Tags
dingo, esc, honcho, scx10, tekin

Recommendations for my new SCX10 Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Dingo T-BONE35 Newbie General 6 02-05-2012 05:43 AM
SCX10 Dingo Solitaire Axial SCX-10 5 12-06-2011 12:30 AM
My SCX10 TR Dingo rover901 Axial SCX-10 64 05-22-2011 03:09 AM
axial scx10 dingo matches General Crawlers 1 03-23-2011 09:36 PM
SCX10 Dingo wb 11.4 to wb 12.3 rafiki.engineering Axial SCX-10 4 10-20-2010 12:20 PM