Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone used this ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone used this ESC

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this ESC. Outcry Crawler Speed Controller ESC with TurboBEC How's the control and especially how is the drag break? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone used this ESC

The bec works great but it not adjustable so your stuck with 6.0 volts. The esc works well and is good for 4s but slow low end controle sucks and it's jumpy going slow.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

its ok but has no lipo cutoff which kinda sucks and you cant adjust the drag break. you could get an external cut off tho.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I don't run lipo (yet) and definitely not 4s, so the cutoff isn't a big deal either. 6.0 volt BEC was what I was planning. (didn't know they had adjustable ones). The slow low end control concerns me though. The only other ESC I have experience with is the XL-1 and XL-5. Is it worse than either of those that you know of? I'm kind of on a budget build or (best value). Can you recommend an ESC with drag break that's not $100? (drag break is a must!)
P.S. thanks for the fast response you guys.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

what's it going in? i would think a castle sidewinder would be better than that altho a little more money. for that matter the stock axial ae-2 would be better.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I want to get an SCX10 (I'm want the kit though so I can build it) So you think the stock AE-2 would be better than the Outcry ESC. I guess since axial and castle creations made it and I've never heard of anyone using the Outcry it probably is.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

well the outcry is only rated down to a 30 turn motor. so if you wanted to say throw in a 20t axial motor (cheapy) then the esc wouldn't really handle it. just remember when it comes to buying an esc, you get what you pay for. and since the esc and the servo are the two most important things its usually better to go a little overkill on the esc. my scx10 has a mamba max pro in it. this way i can run brushed, brushless, any battery i would like (up to 6s lipo), have adjustments galore.

if your getting a kit, the tekin fxr combo's aren't bad. get a tekin fxr (good esc) and a motor for around $140. very small and lightweight, easy to program, can mount them anywhere, and are so small if you want waterproofing you can throw them in a waterproof box.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Im running a outcry esc in my xtrm liberty 1.9 scaler with 35t motor
on 2s and it does fine.
havent had a complaint out of it yet..going on 2yrs now.

its not bad and its not the best....
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I guess I'm really just worried about the drag break. I just found out that the XL-5 has a drag break even though I used one about a year ago. (obviously wasn't real impressionable). Is the drag break on the Outcry ESC programmable or does it hold pretty well as is?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

its not programmable..

it depends on how much your rig weighs..a heavier rig needs a really strong drag brake..a lightweight rig can get by without a strong dragbrake.

my liberty has a slow control drag,like compression on a real crawlers engine/drivetrain when crawling.
i like it because it handles like a real rig..

real 1:1 crawlers dont lock up on theyr own,you have to apply brake to get it to stop.

its more scale on a rc that way in my opinon..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So ROLANDROCKSHOP, what does your rig weigh? And you say that on a steep slope your rig continues to roll slowly? I heard somewhere that how effective your drag break is, is somewhat dependent on your motor. What motor are you running? Thanks for your help by the way. I have one crawler that I have used a couple of different ESC and motor combos but I'm planning on building another crawler and I'm not happy with what I've run so far. IMO the XL-5 would have been fine if it had had a drag break. So that's essentially what I'm looking for is an XL-5 with a drag break. Again thanks for your help.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
cherry bomb

I had an outcry on my first scaler, the external BEC was DOA so I was using the internal BEC on the ESC, it worked great for basic needs, I ran it on a lightweight scaler on 2s with a 35t motor, it did really well and the drag brake was enough. for the money it isn't to bad, (I upgraded that rig to a waterproof XL-5 instead and was much happier if that means anything to you) lightweight scalers dont need strong drag brakes, I run my current scalers dragbrake at 25% (stock AE-2 ESC)

IMO the axial AE-2 ESC is the best one to go with on a budget.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Alright. So I hate to continue to drag this out and ask more and more questions... but I have one for fred now. I have had the XL-5 and ran a home/hand wound 36T motor with it. The drag break was basically non-existent. Is the Outcry's better or did you not have the same problem with the XL-5? If the XL-5's drag break was better I would by it again in a heart beat but it just didn't do it for me. Thanks guys.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
cherry bomb

the XL-5 has no drag brake at all, but the brakes held much better then the drag on the outcry, you just have to change your driving habbits a little for ESC's with, or without dragbrake. if you don't already own an XL-5, you could buy either one, can't really go wrong with either.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Buy a Castle Sidewinder V2 or SCT, you can find them on ebay all the time for $50 or less brand new. I scored and bought 2 for $35 a piece.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Okay I had no idea you could get the Sidewinder V2 for so cheap. I figured that was a great option but everywhere I looked they seemed to be $100 or more. I will definitely have to start watching ebay. Thanks for the help SMR 510RR.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Alright. So I think I'm sold on the Sidewinder V2. However Castle Creations web site has very little information on this ESC. Does it have an internal BEC or do I need to buy one? If it does have an internal BEC is it the usual 6.0v or something else weird? Again thanks for all your help. I hate to ask newb questions and so I do all the searching I can before I ask. These are all questions I couldn't find answers to.

Anyone used this ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which ESC Brake/Reverse Type Setting on my Mamba Max ESC? b00st3d Venom Creeper 3 01-24-2010 04:34 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM