Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HiTec 5646wp for servo winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HiTec 5646wp for servo winch

Hey Ya'll

I was wondering if anyone has made a servo winch with one of the new 5646wp waterproof servos? Just wondering if they have any new type of motor that would have a problem with a heyok controller?

I will crack open one later today and add my findings and progress here. Probably just another standard servo winch build though. But with a factory, 100% waterproof case.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HiTec 5646wp for servo winch

Are these digital? I have yet to figure out how to unsolder my 7955 board from the motor.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Are these digital? I have yet to figure out how to unsolder my 7955 board from the motor.
Yep, digital. But you throw that away anyways.

Desoldering the 7955 is easy. Just hold the servo by the board and heat each contact, and let the motor gently drop out of board.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ahh, so you removed motor/board completely from case. I never went that far. Was trying not to monkey with all the gears.

I'll give that a shot thx
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Arrow Re: HiTec 5646wp for servo winch

Well, I am very impressed with the new HiTec 5646wp servo's waterproof case and seals. Good stuff! Pics below show nice o-rings and automotive wheel bearing type, output shaft seal. Circuit board is also waterproofed for further protection. I just discard the board anyway and replace with a Heyok no drift winch controller for best perfomance. I needed to remove the pot and break away the pot support tabs, inside servo case, to make room for the heyok controller. I also cut and soldered heyok servo lead to hitec's lead inside of case. I did this because the new hitec waterproof seal is epoxied to inside of case. So why mess with a 100% wterproof seal when I can just tap into it inside of case.

I topped it off with a War Pig Ripper spool available from team3six. Another great option is a PLE spool available through reconcrawlers.

Very strong motor on 6v and speed is awesome on 7.4. I went with 7.6v from bec to power the new 5646wp servo winch.

Thanks HiTec

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 02-27-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for showing off the inside of that servo. Looks like it will work well!
Are you using the same model of servo for steering?
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Thanks for showing off the inside of that servo. Looks like it will work well!
Are you using the same model of servo for steering?
Yes, I am running one currently. Perfect for a scaler.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

So is the lite blue in the shaft hole, a seal between the bearing and case to seal the shaft opening?

sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Arrow Re: HiTec 5646wp for servo winch

Update:

A friend of mine (Halfcab) and I were discussing servo winches when all of a sudden, he had a great idea. If you are using a digital, programmable hitec servo then you can use a hitec servo programmer to widen the deadband to max setting to eliminate servo winch drift.

Since you already have a digital, programmable hitec servo, all you need is to buy or borrow a hitec programmer. Then widen the neutral dead band to widest setting, #5. The rest is normal servo winch build. Remove the pin from gear, and plastic part underneath main gear that usually moves the pot. Plug it into your receiver and set subtrum and reg trim to zero. Then adjust pot so servo motor stops in centerpoint. Then drop a drip of med CA glue in pot recess so it wont move. The waterproof with your preferred method unless it will not see any water.

You need a radio with subtrim adjustment, and three position switch or dial for this to work.
Subtrim isnt necessary if you do the centering of pot while connected to the radio that you will use.

Also, the 5646wp has a waterproof, epoxied circuit board and amp that is waaaaaay more capable and will last waaaay longer than any aftermarket winch controller. Plus the case is really 100% waterproof with better o-rings, deeper seats, and a radial type seal for output shaft. The servo makes the ultimate servo winch!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #10

servo city say's that servo is not 360 degree modifiable, but with this i will look into them again. my dx3e does not have subtrim and cannot get rid of creep without the board my hobby shop set me up with. thanks for the info.
rchrdwiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Update:

...Remove the pin from gear, and plastic part underneath main gear that usually moves the pot...

When you do this, you give it 360* capabilities

Thanks for the how-to, Rig Rocker
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

HiTec 5646wp for servo winch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitec 5995 servo winch issue ecoli Electronics 0 02-14-2010 03:30 PM
Hitec Servo Voltage Ratings.......the answers from Hitec roktoy Electronics 12 08-25-2008 06:07 PM