Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holms Motor Hookup...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Holms Motor Hookup...???

I just got a Holmes 2012 (Team) 16t motor today I am new to this and have never installed a motor before. I am also going to be changing my spur gear and pinion gear along with a few other mods. Since it appears to be a rather involved process of disassembly to do either on this Axial Wraith I have not taken my rig apart yet, so I can do it all at once. I did not want to lose or misplace any parts or forget how something went together.

I also found out today that the Holmes BR-XL's are finally back in stock so I just ordered one of those as well, and will now wait until I get it to do the entire install. But I thought it might be a good time to ask a few questions and hopefully get some expert advise.

The stock 20t motor appears to have the two wires soldered to tabs then with bullet connectors on the other end which hook up to the wires coming from the stock ESC. There are no wires attached to this motor, and I assume there will be wires but no connectors on the BR-XL.

Questions: Do I just solder wires to the two tabs on the HH motor (pictured) or should I use spade connectors?
And is there any reason that I could or should not use Deans connectors to hook up to the BR-XL, as I will be using a Deans on the battery wires?
Attached Images

Last edited by Land Crab; 02-23-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holms Motor Hookup...???

you could wait till u have the brxl and solder its motor wires to the motor tabs, or solder wires onto the motor and put your connector of choice on them so you can remove the motor without taking everything out. on my motors usually put 3.5mm gold bullets on all mine so they are easily removed.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Either direct solder from the ESC (when you get it) to the motor tabs, or swap the short wires from your old motor to the new motor to reuse the bullet connectors.

I would NOT use spade/quick disconnect connectors to the motor. Way too much potential power loss as well as another spot to lose a connection.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Either direct solder from the ESC (when you get it) to the motor tabs, or swap the short wires from your old motor to the new motor to reuse the bullet connectors.

I would NOT use spade/quick disconnect connectors to the motor. Way too much potential power loss as well as another spot to lose a connection.

Thanks for the advise. I prefer to have the option to be able to disconnect the motor from the ESC, so soldering the two together is not an option for me. I have plenty of wire and various connetors along with a new TrakPower Soldering Station.

I think once I get the ESC and finalize where it will be mounted, I will figure out how much wire I need and make a wire with a MALE Deans on one end and solder the other ends to the motor. Then I will solder a FEMALE Deans onto the motor wires from the ESC. The Battery wires from the ESC will have a MALE Deans to hook up to the FEMALE Deans that is on all of my Batteries.

That way I will NOT be able to get the wires crossed if and when I need to disconnect.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would use bullets on the motor to ESC connection, that way it is easily swapped into other vehicles if you ever need to and you can reverse polarity easily by swapping the wires.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I would use bullets on the motor to ESC connection, that way it is easily swapped into other vehicles if you ever need to and you can reverse polarity easily by swapping the wires.
Lik I said, I am new to this. Why would I want to reverse polarity? So I could reverse the direction of spin in a car with a gear box that turned the other direction? I guess that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Unless you indicated "Wraith" when you bought your Holmes motor, it will be reversed. I didn't know the difference when I originally ordered mine but was glad that I had used bullets.

Besides, the BRXL has the bullets already soldered to the motor leads. At least the non-waterproof version does.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Unless you indicated "Wraith" when you bought your Holmes motor, it will be reversed. I didn't know the difference when I originally ordered mine but was glad that I had used bullets.

Besides, the BRXL has the bullets already soldered to the motor leads. At least the non-waterproof version does.
That is why I put up this thread...to get advise. I did specify that it was going in an Axial Wraith and it even says so right on my receipt. And if the BR-XL already has bullets on the wires, then I will use bullets on the wires to the motor Thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The BRXL doesn't use conventional old school bullet connectors, but ones that are smoother and gold plated for more contact area. The bonus is that it comes with a pair of male ends to solder onto your motor wires.

You can physicaly cram the older style male bullet conncecters into the BRXl's female ends, but the fit isn't quite perfect.

And you've made a good choice for upgrading your Wraith. Pair it with some 3s power and prepare for perma grin.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Holms Motor Hookup...??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
holms hold ? superflex Newbie General 14 01-28-2011 09:51 AM
Brushless motor hookup... PEDEcrawlerguy Electronics 3 10-12-2008 04:31 AM
holms Bronco Chit Chat 12 07-26-2007 12:11 PM
Integy 45t motor hookup GraTou Electronics 2 12-17-2006 03:30 PM