Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Whats a good on a budget lipo / charger/ power supply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Whats a good on a budget lipo / charger/ power supply

Hi guys
Im new to rc crawling and lipos n all that.

I just bought a thunder power 5000mah 2s 25c lipo and a thunder power tp610 c http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130522252841?...84.m1439.l2649)

... im already at my budget of 200 bucks, and little did i know I also need a power supply to power the charger?? all I can say is holy crap alot of stuff for a battery.. I will be retracting my purchase on ebay i think to make up for the price of the power supply as well.

Do I really need a power supply to use the charger? why dont it just plug into the wall? Can u get chargers with PSU built in? if so please link it.

Anyways... whats a good lipo/charger/power supply for a budget of $200 for all 3?
Thanks

Last edited by milestone; 02-25-2012 at 12:49 PM.
milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Whats a good on a budget lipo / charger/ power supply

Hyperion EOS 0606i Li/NiMH/A123 AC/DC Balancing Charger (6S/6A/50W) [HP-EOS606IAD] | Electric Accessories - A Main Hobbies

no need for external power supply, and can be hooked up to a car battery so you can charge at your crawler site!!

for batteries, check ou the sky lipos at hobbypartz.com great prices and they are good batteries.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Supermate DC6
masonis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thunder AC6:

Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Built in AC power supply and will charge pretty much anything you can throw at it.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Thunder AC6:

Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Built in AC power supply and will charge pretty much anything you can throw at it.

I like this one, and its half the price of the one on ebay. thanks... Ill buy a couple those sky lipos

Last edited by milestone; 02-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thunder AC6:

Just ordered one of these and two gens ace 30c 4000mah 2s lipos and came to 90 bucks shipped from Hobbypartz.com should be here next Thursday after work. Read alot of good reviews for it. I'm not one to pull a trigger to fAst without some research but this one caught my eye and review.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Can't really comment on the thunder power packs, i've used cheap hobby king lipo's, value hobby geforce lipo's and most recently hobbypartz gens ace lipo's. All have been cheap in terms of price and I've never had a problem with any of them. This is just my opinion but avoid the high priced brands unless you have money to burn.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Can't really comment on the thunder power packs, i've used cheap hobby king lipo's, value hobby geforce lipo's and most recently hobbypartz gens ace lipo's. All have been cheap in terms of price and I've never had a problem with any of them. This is just my opinion but avoid the high priced brands unless you have money to burn.
X2

You could pick up a charger, power supply and 4 lipo's for les than $100 thru Hobby King. The charger I bought 4 years ago is still going strong and I've bought at least 50 lipo's from them and only ever got 1 that had a bad sodder joint. Removed the heat shrink, resodderd the loose wire, add new heat shrink and I still use that lipo today.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thunder AC6:

x2 great for the money!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
X2

You could pick up a charger, power supply and 4 lipo's for les than $100 thru Hobby King. The charger I bought 4 years ago is still going strong and I've bought at least 50 lipo's from them and only ever got 1 that had a bad sodder joint. Removed the heat shrink, resodderd the loose wire, add new heat shrink and I still use that lipo today.

i went with a hard case sky 4000mah 2s 30c, as well a sky 5000mah soft 2s 30c... basically 2 same packs, i wanted 2 hard case 5000mah but sold out, o well, these were a great price, also got a LED light kit coming turn signal brakes all that stuff plus a 1300mah for a helicopter i have ....

3 lipos, 1 charger, LED tail, headlight & turn signal kit..... Total price 177 shipped....not even close to what i had picked out on ebay, what was i thinking!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestone View Post
i went with a hard case sky 4000mah 2s 30c, as well a sky 5000mah soft 2s 30c... basically 2 same packs, i wanted 2 hard case 5000mah but sold out, o well, these were a great price, also got a LED light kit coming turn signal brakes all that stuff plus a 1300mah for a helicopter i have ....

3 lipos, 1 charger, LED tail, headlight & turn signal kit..... Total price 177 shipped....not even close to what i had picked out on ebay, what was i thinking!
You'll be pleased, now just to wait. It takes about 2 weeks to get your parts and dont pay for faster shipping cause it only speeds up the process by a couple days.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

oops i paid 55 shipping, coulda paid 9 dollars my bad... I am in Canada tho, i really didnt wanna choose UPS cuz its ALWAYS a customs fee once it crosses the border.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I am also running the thunder ac6 and gens ace 2s 4000 mah lipos. I only have 4 charges on the battery, but am very pleased with both the battery and charger. Got 2 batteries and the charger for under $100 as well.
Scott105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #14

The Hyperion charger and lipos from hobby king. I have about 14 lipos from them and have not had an issue. Don't forget to buy a lipo safe bag. Safety first!
Sivob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Whats a good on a budget LiPO / charger/ power supply

We run Venom ProChargers.......they run on wall 110vac power or a DC supply (like a car battery when out in the field).
They handle pretty much any battery chemistry.
They come with a balance card (using the Align type IIRC).
They come with multiple charging cords for different pack plugs.

OK, so they cost a bit more, but you don't have to buy anything else....

Downsides, one pack at a time & they don't charge at real high amps. Most of my packs charge @1C in an hour though.

This is what we have..... Amazon.com: Venom Pro Charger Plus: Toys & Games

I like it so much, I bought a used red version as a back-up.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 02-26-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added link to charger
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Whats a good on a budget lipo / charger/ power supply - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder T6 Multi-LiPo Charger with G350 Power Supply KBrog Electronics 11 04-16-2012 08:12 PM