Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: water proof/resistant steering servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #1

Default water proof/resistant steering servos

looking for the strongest most torque giving steering servos out there. i tried the traxxas slash steering servo and was displeased.. its for a 4 wheel steer set up I have on my HPI CK on the rear axle. I already have a 333oz steering the front and what ever a stock CK came with in the rear. seeing how the rear steering servo is on the axle i want it to be water proof or resistant.. any suggestions?
spooledwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: water proof/resistant steering servos

I suggest buying a nice servo and waterproofing it yourself. I am not aware of any 'High Torque" servos that are sold waterproof.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I agree with the above post, plasti dip is a very quick/cheap and effective method. Many high end servos (hitec 7955tg for example- which it sounds like you may have based on the 333oz you mentioned) have gaskets throughout to seal them from dust, moisture etc. so unless you submerge you should be fine. I have ran my Hitec 5955 and 5998tg servos in snow, rain etc. on my Summit and E revo for years and never had an issue.
FreakyT333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like to use Hitec 7955s but that's just a preference. Just make sure the servo is strong enough to hold center when running in crawling conditions. As for the waterproofing it's easy.

Grease the gear area in the servo and extra around where the shaft leaves the case. When you push the servo horn on it will seal the area. Next use plasti dip or liquid tape and coat the areas of the case that open. Some people dip the entire servo but it looks too sloppy, I brush mine on in multiple layers.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've got a 7950th on my wraith and I've had it submurged for like 5min. and it still works great. all I done to it was take the back case off and covered the circuit board in die-electric grease and seal it back up. also took the front cover off and put die-electric grease around the gears and output shaft.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote

water proof/resistant steering servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how water resistant? rushton123 Redcat Crawlers 6 05-31-2010 09:22 AM
When Traxxas says Water Resistant They Mean It nascarkeith Chit Chat 4 02-01-2010 08:54 AM
Water Resistant Servo? ArmyStrong Electronics 4 01-28-2010 08:42 AM
Would you consider this ESC Water Resistant? wshipley Newbie General 7 08-21-2007 11:27 PM