Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New ESC & Motor, Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question New ESC & Motor, Question!

Castle Mamba Max Pro + Tekin 13.5 Redline in a RTR Wraith with stock gearing. (2S 5000mAh 25C battery)

When I try to "creep" along, it'll surge quite heavily. If I try to climb a vertical "wall" or object with high resistance, the motor will whine and surge. It'll sputter like that for a second, then completely stop, then start surging/trying to spin the wheels, then die off and gives a big jump in power, as if I bumped it to 1/2 throttle or so . . . and do all this while holding the throttle steady at 0-15'ish percent throttle.

Is this normal?
I realize I gave up a lot of crawler abilities with the switch to this setup, but this is 100% unable to creep along over anything. The 20t would creep over this stuff far better (but get hot pretty quick).

Thoughts? Ideas to play with in Castle Link?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by sniper101; 02-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.
sniper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New ESC & Motor, Question!

Your best bet is to gear down and utilize the boost in the ESC to add a bunch of timing up top to gain back some wheelspeed. I would probably gear way down and switch to 3S rather than 2s to get better bottom end and more top end.

Obviously make sure that your sensor cable is hooked up solidly and make sure that the ESC is in either sensored mode or their hybrid mode.

The problem you are having is cogging, even in a sensored system it still exists although it is much better than running unsensored. Basically the power pulses are too far apart (in rotation not distance), by lowering your gearing you will tighten up the distance between pulses (factoring the gearing in) and that should lead to a smoother bottom end.

Also if you dont already have an external BEC you should get one. The MMP's BEC is known to be weak and is probably contributing to your problem.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help, currently researching gearing and deciding on a 3S.

Just for reference to my issue, my buddy has a SCX with a VXL-3s ESC and motor running my 2S batteries, geared to 20/80, his will still hold a slow speed and not try to rotate the motor, then die off, then start to rotate again, and again . . . is this normal?

Had I known this was a byproduct of this motor or ESC, or the combo, I would have bought a Velineon as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

No, it's not normal. It should be way smoother than the VXL or 20t. I'm going with either the sensor cable isn't plugged in good or the ESC is set to sensorless as said above. Do you have a castlelink? Pretty sure it comes preset to sensorless.

Also make sure the motor-ESC is wired A-A,B-B and C-C, sensorless can be moved around to swap direction but sensored can't.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 03-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i bet its a sensor cable or possibly faulty esc. the esc motor type programming is stock setting is smartsense which is fine as the mmp has no sensorless only setting
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Wow . . . that sensor cable was sooooooo not making contact. Hot damn, now I can say I see the hype about this setup!

It had no control below 5mph, and had a top speed just a hair higher than the stock wraith, even with my 25T on the Redline, 5000mAh battery was dead in 30 min. Needless to say I can crawl walls at a controllable pace now and do WAY to fast for my needs for this thing, on my 2S with the 25t . . . will be trying stock gearing again, if not going lower.

Thanks guys! I thought for sure that cable was tight when I glued in the ESC. Next time I'll check my noob work before starting a thread.

New ESC & Motor, Question! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Upgrading Motor & ESC netsurfr Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 03-02-2011 07:11 PM
esc & motor, tech question, kinda stoneface Electronics 1 08-28-2010 07:03 AM
Esc & Motor ?? SD333 Electronics 5 12-29-2007 04:31 PM