Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Default Radio Advice

Hi All,

I am new to crawling and have previously done off road racing.
In the past I have used a Ko Propo EX5-UR and I have to say i love it and wished I never sold it, but extra receivers though being nice and small are expensive at $80 a pop. Then I had an EX10 Helios with a spectrum module, and I don't know if it was because the spectrum module sticks out at the back but I never got on with it, and all the receivers seem massive, so I am currently trying to a sell.

I have also used the losi spectrum that comes with their XXXSCT RTR which just felt flimsy and cheap, I have also currently got the Axial radio that comes with the TR Honcho, which I used for the first time crawling at the weekend, to me it feels too light and the trigger seems to have no resistance, being heavy handed I went from still to full power every time I tried to go slow over the rocks (I understand some of this will be practise).

So I am really looking for some advice on what sort of radio is best for crawling (if there is a best) but mainly what sort of radio is good for a newbie that is heavy handed and used to racing.

I will want something that has extra receivers available (at a reasonable price) but I do not want to spend more than $300 on the radio and receiver to start with.

Hope that all makes sense, and thanks to anyone that takes time to read my ramblings and big thanks to anyone that might have experience in this and helps by departing there wisdom.

Cheers
DinPerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Radio Advice

1-I'm a Futaba fan, thus I say 3PM-x or 4PL. The "number" is how many channels. Both have multi-model memories if you have multiple rigs.
2-LosiKid hacked Fly Sky GT3B.......the cheapest alternative, so far the best option.
The 3PM-x RX's are ~$80US each (although there seems to be a cheaper replacement).
The 4PL RX's are ~$35US each.

The GT3B RX's are ~$12US each.

You can decide from here.

BTW, I run a 3PM-x, my son runs a 4PL. I'm "testing" a GT3B, need to update my test thread.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
1-I'm a Futaba fan, thus I say 3PM-x or 4PL. The "number" is how many channels. Both have multi-model memories if you have multiple rigs.
2-LosiKid hacked Fly Sky GT3B.......the cheapest alternative, so far the best option.
The 3PM-x RX's are ~$80US each (although there seems to be a cheaper replacement).
The 4PL RX's are ~$35US each.

The GT3B RX's are ~$12US each.

You can decide from here.

BTW, I run a 3PM-x, my son runs a 4PL. I'm "testing" a GT3B, need to update my test thread.
Cheers mate I have looked at the 4PL but not the 3PM I will have a look now.
I will also check out your test thread too.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My buddies got the airtronics MT-4 and loves it. I have a 4pk and love it but that is well over your price range. I personally like the using the MT-4 over the 4PL. Both are good radios and the ability to have a 4th channel can be come a huge deal the more you get into the hobby.

Airtronics 90481 MT-4 Pistol Grip Radio 2.4G w/Telemetry
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinPerth View Post
Cheers mate I have looked at the 4PL but not the 3PM I will have a look now.
I will also check out your test thread too.
Not much real info in the test thread yet....looking to add a bunch this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCROCIN' View Post
My buddies got the airtronics MT-4 and loves it. I have a 4pk and love it but that is well over your price range. I personally like the using the MT-4 over the 4PL. Both are good radios and the ability to have a 4th channel can be come a huge deal the more you get into the hobby.

Good call RCROCKIN'...I forgot Marzzzz is running that radio. Yes, he likes it. It also tends to fit smaller hands better than some other radios. Thanks for posting.

See you at Squan!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCROCIN' View Post

Thanks for the advice but if it suits smaller hands it prob won't be any good for me, also at $130 a receiver its pretty pricey for add ons.

I guess if you want the best you have to pay for it, but when only running once a month I would like to keep it to a cheaper budget.

I like the look of the 4PL and 3PM and with the cheaper receiver that sounds great if it works.

Last edited by DinPerth; 03-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm a former Futaba sponsered flyier. Do not fly anymore. Got into this crawling stuff and bought a GT3B, have had it for over a year, ran 1/4 scale gas boats at long-distances with it. Recievers are 7.00 ea. There's no need-to buy name-brand stuff anymore, sorry to say that but it's true.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Have you had any issues at all with the GT3B?
Sivob is offline   Reply With Quote

Radio Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice/help with radio? George014 Electronics 5 12-25-2011 08:02 PM
Looking for a radio need some advice rquarte Electronics 16 09-15-2010 08:57 PM
Need New Radio Advice...Please Help theadrick Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 01-23-2010 03:45 PM
Radio advice GEARSCIENCE Electronics 7 09-05-2009 08:51 PM
2.4 radio advice Tbone Newbie General 5 08-14-2009 04:45 AM