Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Quark + Lipo + rookie error = low voltage failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Quark + Lipo + rookie error = low voltage failure

How'd I miss this? All my research on which lipo and charger to get, and I never knew I needed anything other than a good batt & charger . So apparently I need a low voltage alarm/cutoff when running lipo, huh? Bummer.

I put a brand-spanking new lipo into my truck, ran it for only 20 min or so, and then forgot to unplug it. A week later I went to charge it back up, and got an error message on my also-brand-new Hyperion charger. Clueless, I read up on the "low voltage" message, and vhola, I've just learned something new.

Solution? It seems I might be able to program this into my Quark ESC, if I find and dust off the ol' directions. What should I set it to, 3.0 volts???
2old4rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Quark + Lipo + rookie error = low voltage failure

Minimum 3.2 volts/cell....minimum....

I usually use 3.4 volts/cell, it's a little safer.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yea I agree with Charlie on this one. I like from 3.2v or above, since the ESC only sees total pack voltage and the cells may get a little unbalanced this allows for enough wiggle room to make sure you dont go below the safe voltage.

Also if you have not already put that pack in a salt water solution (search google for lipo disposal) to discharge it to make sure that it is safe.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
cherry bomb

rookie move, live and learn.

never leave lipos plugged in when not in use (in fact dont leave any battery plugged into an ESC when not in use). dispose of the lipo properly and dont do it again is the best I can say, lipo cutoff set anywhere from 3.0-3.4v is fine.

lipo cutoff is not in affect when the truck is sitting there for a week with a battery plugged in.
also the power switch only shuts off the internal BEC, the ESC is still being fully powered, just no power being sent to the reciever so yes of course it will drain your battery.

(most RCer's hate switches and remove them, I suggest you do the same, its a perfect reminder to unplug the battery)

Last edited by fred0000; 03-05-2012 at 01:14 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the guidance. One more question.... for anyone who knows Quark ESCs:

The directions have 3 lipo cutoff settings (lipo high, lipo normal, and manual). Which should I choose? The manual option only allows for a cutoff as high as 3.0 V per cell, which is lower than your recommended 3.2-3.4. Would the standard lipo high/lipo normal be safe enough bets to cut off the lipo prior to going below a reasonable low-V threshold?

Never though playing with an RC car would cause so many electricity theory flashbacks from Physics class.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Lipo High or Normal are set more for battery quality. High offers more power than Normal, Normal is current limited. Both use 3.0v for cutoff.

If setting to manual then the highest voltage cutoff should be applied, so use one of the above.

My rule for all things rc these days is to use the battery connector as the on off switch and just leave the on/off switch on all the time.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Thanks SuperRoo! So is a 3.0V cutoff safe enough, or should I buy a separate cutoff that I can set to 3.2/3.4V?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Is the lipo actually dead? Did it balloon up on you or anything? I have heard guys jump the life back into them by using NIMH setting for a few minutes to get enough juice back in the battery. I do not recommend it but I have heard others doing it and saving their lipos.

how to shock a lipo battery with out a fancy charger?

Last edited by ZippoMan; 03-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old4rc View Post
Thanks SuperRoo! So is a 3.0V cutoff safe enough, or should I buy a separate cutoff that I can set to 3.2/3.4V?
As I stated before, 3.2VPC is considered "low", I use 3.4VPC to be "safer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Is the lipo actually dead? Did it balloon up on you or anything? I have heard guys jump the life back into them by using NIMH setting for a few minutes to get enough juice back in the battery. I do not recommend it but I have heard others doing it and saving their lipos.

how to shock a lipo battery with out a fancy charger?
Yes, I've "zinged" packs back up in NiMH/NiCD mode so they would charge in LiPO mode. Not a great idea....definitely not to be done WITHOUT you nearby "just in case".
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Quark + Lipo + rookie error = low voltage failure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo low voltage alarm newtoy Electronics 4 10-03-2011 11:46 AM
lipo low voltage Jay2380 Electronics 11 06-03-2010 11:17 AM
Hyperion 606i low voltage after charging lipo JRocker Electronics 2 06-16-2009 08:54 PM
Lipo voltage error but no puff Harvo Newbie General 4 04-06-2009 03:37 PM
lipo low voltage cutoffs?????? jetboat Electronics 1 03-02-2007 09:19 AM