Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CCMMP Issues- Please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking CCMMP Issues- Please help!!

hey Support Team-

I'm having a few issues. I'll try and explain...

Here's my setup-

Holmeshobbies 35T Sport TM Brushed Motor
Hobbico 170 Servo
CC BEC- plugged into bind port (BRAND NEW)
CC Mamba Max Pro (BRAND NEW)
Specktrum DX3C /SR300 RX
7.4v 2C 20c Lipo Battery (tried a 3C as well)

Problem1-motor(s) are glitchy- will jolt a bit forward/reverse with throttle applied, but generally won't move- can hear a 'ticking' from the motors when throttle applied...

Problem 2- CCMMP has no audio/beeps when I'm running through it's start up, then after this- yellow light is flashing, but does switch to Green and Red with my throttle action for forward/reverse.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]What I've trouble-shooted-
[/COLOR]

Servo- runs absolutely fine and I've tried a less powerful servo and I have the same problems above. Even tried unplugging servo from the RX and still have the same issues.

BEC- I've tried it without the BEC hooked in to the RX.

I'm wondering
1- do I need to 1- set up the CCMMP with a Castle Link ?

2- Do I need to wire the BEC directly to the servo with an adapter?

3- Do I need to set my BEC to a higher voltage? I think the default is 5?

The CCMMP seems to be functioning MINUS the audio- but this seems like where the issue is...

What the "F" am I missing??
thanks a lot in advance... really appreciate it.
JeffK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CCMMP Issues- Please help!!

I think one or two of maybe three things are happening. Either ESC calibration, and /or, the wires that you have connected to the brushed motor might be an issue. Or, maybe the third thing... is the ESC in brushed or brushless mode?

If I recall, the motor wires on that ESC are Black, White and Red. When you run a brushed motor, you would expect to use Black and Red, but for some reason, it uses White and one of the other two (sorry, I don't remember which one).

If the ESC needs to be calibrated to the transmitter, it goes something like this:
When you power up the ESC, have the throttle held full forward (pull back on the trigger). Then it beeps a tune. When the beeping stops, hold the throttle in full reverse, again until the beeping stops. Then release the throttle. That should get it calibrated, I think.

So, yes, grab a Castle Link and check the settings on the ESC
I don't think your BEC voltage is any part of what is going on, but to be sure, maybe just use the built in BEC until you get the ESC happy.
Make sure you do the ESC calibration stuff to get it to understand where your transmitter's throttle range is operating.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Also I believe Castle ESC's come with the motor default to brushless, check it with the castle link, this is what I think is causing your motor to stutter back and forth
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good advice in general.

As to wire colors, there was a batch last year that used "incorrect colors" based on a firmware glitch. It has since been resolved & I believe it is black & red now.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Al- thanks a lot!!

Brushed vs Brushless- good question- that I'm not sure of- I don't have a Castle Link to check/reprogram and unfortunately I'm on a Mac if I did- (saw the post of Mac User) I know the LHS has one and maybe I could get them to do it for me....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!! I cut the white wire!!! Oh well, I'll have to re-solder it on and try that...

Calibration- I ran through that and it seems to work- MINUS the beeps/alerts-

I also tried adding some throttle trim via my radio, but that yielded nothing either. I've read that some people have "reset" their DX3C, but have yet to try this.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yea those guys are right, MMP comes in brushless "smartsense" mode...You need to change it to brushed.

You should be able to change the mode without the castle link although it is a bit of a pita. Check out your manual, lots of good information in there.

As Charlie said, the firmware fixed the white wire issue in brushed mode (I believe this was only on the sidewinder vx/sct not MMP anyway) so you are good to go with black and red.

You will want your CC BEC set to 6v not 5.1v as it comes set from the factory, unfortunately the castle link is the only way to adjust the BEC.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

ok... damnit... made a trip to my LHS for my lunch hour and they hooked up my ESC and BEC to the Castle Link... changed from Brushless to Brushed and increased my BEC voltage to 6.3.... in the brushed mode he made it "high powered"... rather than "reversed"

Get home, hook things up and now.... NOTHING- no glitching at all... should it be set up as Reversed??

it's fun being an idiot...
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm not entirely sure what "Reversed" means. Two things come to mind. Either it is just like wiring the motor leads the other way to reverse the motor direction, or something else...
"Hi Powered" I think means that it has no reverse at all. It uses all the FETs to do the motor switching to get the most power possible from your motor in those situations when you don't need or are ruled not to have a reversing speed control.

If indeed it is the second, the ESC likely won't arm until it sees full reverse as that would equal 0 throttle, but I'm not sure!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I think I remember reading that in the Manual- "high powered" means no reverse... I'll try reversed next...

I'm calling Castle customer support later I think. thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

yes high powered means forward only and even for that to work all 3 wires get hooked to the - on the motor and + from the battery goes straight to the motor. needs to be set for brushed reversing and crawler reverse.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
yes high powered means forward only and even for that to work all 3 wires get hooked to the - on the motor and + from the battery goes straight to the motor. needs to be set for brushed reversing and crawler reverse.
+1.....the high power wiring is NOT what crawlers want....PERIOD.

Once we get this working for you, go back to the LHS and "edumacate" them....
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I'm an idiot... thanks a lot guys- really appreciate the help. I'm buying you all "virtual beers"...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CC MMP Issues- Please help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK11 View Post
I'm an idiot... thanks a lot guys- really appreciate the help. I'm buying you all "virtual beers"...
I do believe I am now "virtually drunk".......

PS, what was it?? (just closing out this thread....)
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

We got it! Thanks guys- honestly, this was a simple fix- probably something 100+ guys know already. Combination of a couple things as Al pointed out.

It was switching the setting to 'reversed' and I increased the internal BEC setting from the default 5.6 to 6.0 so I could run it without the external BEC.

I'm not a PC guy- on a Mac, so I'll have to learn how to use that Castle Link-

Again- thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That's great that you got it running!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Defy Gravity

not a pc guy either, running on linux and don't plan to change. the field program card is a great investment for any castle user imo, it does a lot of functions without having to be connected to a computer, and still functions as a usb link. as far as running a castle link on something other than windows, you're lucky since you've got bootcamp. the only other option i've seen marginal success with is vmware, but too cheap to buy the full version. virtualbox is a no go thus far, and wine will run the program, but doesn't have usb support as far as i know. i'm not the best at coding, i'm sure that things are possible if you really want to do it, but in the end its less frustrating to go to a pawn shop and pick up an old windows laptop for dirt cheap, or put a junker machine together from old parts.

with the field card you can adjust the cut-off voltage, drag brake, punch control, motor type, timing (brushless mode) and probably a few things i'm forgetting. the thing that's missing that i would really like to be on it are the bec adjustment for the ccbec and esc, and motor rotation. there are both on the air model field card, but not sure if they cross over to anything related to surface.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
That's great that you got it running!
+1....thanks for replying. It may help others down the road.

CCMMP Issues- Please help!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Might Have Issues v84x4 Kyosho Crawlers 210 08-20-2013 02:43 AM
4s issues... 73bronco Axial Wraith 5 02-17-2012 06:19 PM
Some 1:1 issues. shadowrejects Chit Chat 5 11-24-2010 01:35 PM
serious issues rdearolf Electronics 7 03-14-2009 07:26 PM
my ax-10 has issues goblin79 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 01-19-2009 08:55 PM