Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor getting hung up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Motor getting hung up?

Ok I'm lost on this one. Give it throttle, won't move. Nudge it and it will go. I pulled the brushes and they look fine. Brand new Holmes motor in a new wraith. Ran a pack through fine, second pack after sitting and get this.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Motor getting hung up?

change motor and see what happens,even check if there is any bindings such as seized bearings
jvella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Exactly how much throttle are you trying to give it to make it go?? Full throttle nothing???

Really sounds like a hung brush. One thing you can do is slightly push on the brush while applying throttle to see if it makes a difference. I'd try pulling the brushes and cleaning everything out and trying again.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Besides checking for binding or overly tight gear mesh......there is only really a few scenarios in a motor that cause these symptoms.

1. Could be a hung brush. Just examining the brushes won't always find the problem, as their may be a an issue with the comm causing the brush to get stuck.
2. Something is in the motor, causing to slightly bind.
3. You have a shorted armature.....some shorts do exactly what you are saying......

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Might check the timing also maybe it is out of wack. I had something similar and i ended up changing the timing back to 0 and it hasn't acted up since
Monty
Seon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thing is as soon as you nudge it, just start one wheel turning, it takes off and will run as long as its getting throttle. Full stop and then it dies, until you nudge it again. Like I said, this one baffles me. I'll take the motor out later and check it over more thoroughly.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like a shorted segment or brush hanging on the comm to me. You can read up on troubleshooting and caring for your motor here 540 Brushed Motor Care, Installation, and Troubleshoot « The Search for Power

All else fails, shoot me an email and I will take care of it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

As Eddie0 & JRH stated.....(in part of their suggestions)....sounds like an "armature stall" which is usually a dead coil/winding in the armature/windings....
Frikkin motor works fine once moving, will likely die a lot of the time when it stops.....

No good way to "test it", but it's a PITA just the same (had one last night in a Fantom motor.....swapped in a HH motor @ the comp today and it ran great!!).

If it's a new motor, send it back with a note, I will guess it will be covered (crap happens.....not often but it does....).

I'm not a vendor/manufacturer, but a "high volume" consumer.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Pulled the motor out. Brushes don't seem to be hanging up. You know how if you rotate the shaft there are spots where it will stop? Like 6? If I rotate it to one position it will go, all others it won't and you have to spin it to get it started. Still lost on it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Likely a shorter or bad segment. Send an email to Holmes Hobbies and they should take care of you one way or another.
Is this the motor you just bought??
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
Pulled the motor out. Brushes don't seem to be hanging up. You know how if you rotate the shaft there are spots where it will stop? Like 6? If I rotate it to one position it will go, all others it won't and you have to spin it to get it started. Still lost on it.
Like stated before, you CAN'T fix it unless you want to rewind it yourself. Since it's new, contact HH and send it back with a note. Stop trying to fix it....
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yep, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something simple that I was missing.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I had a motor hang up so bad one time I had to pull the enbell off to get it unstuck. I pulled the brushes first and it wasn't them and then pulled the endbell and it let go. Not sure what caused that because the motor spun free after that.

I'm keeping a close eye on it though
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #14

i have the exact same problem on my new 13t. did u ever get this fixed?
cmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a BRXL and HH13T in my daughters Twin Hammers and after about two hours of driving, her motor did this exact thing.

I disassembled the motor and found that the brush on the positive side was a bit "sticky". I removed the spring from said brush and slid it out of the endbell to clean any grit out of the channel. While inspecting the brush I noticed that it had a ~1/8" vertical gouge in it, on the rounded end that faces the commutator. I briefly took some ultra fine steel wool to it to smooth out the gouge. Reassembled the motor and it is working fine again.

Last edited by SStone; 04-13-2013 at 08:55 AM.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStone View Post
I'm running a BRXL and HH13T in my daughters Twin Hammers and after about two hours of driving, her motor did this exact thing.

I disassembled the motor and found that the brush on the positive side was a bit "sticky". I removed the spring from said brush and slid it out of the endbell to clean any grit out of the channel. While inspecting the brush I noticed that it had a ~1/8" vertical gouge in it, on the rounded end that faces the commutator. I briefly took some ultra fine steel wool to it to smooth out the gouge. Reassembled the motor and it is working fine again.
Did the other brush have the same "gouge"? At least in the past, it was common to have brushes with a "slot" cut in the comm face, sometimes it helped with arcing. Depends on which way the slot was cut.
I haven't seen a new slotted brush in a long time.

Yes, without the brush spring installed, the brush should slide smoothly & easily in the brush hood. Just rubbing the sides of the brush on cardboard can be enough to clean up the sides. An ink eraser (rubber with grit in it) can also clean without changing the outside dimensions.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
RCC Addict

My friend had this same issue with a couple of his motors even after changing the arm and putting new brushes. Come to find out his gearing was to high and was causing it to overheat and causing this issue. He changed his spur from 80t to 87t and his pinion from 20t to 15t and has not had this issue since but he did have to turn the comm and replace the brushes to fix the motor issue. The gearing just helps prevent it from happening. I had it happen to me over a year ago when I first got my wraith and had stock gearing still except my brush welded itself to the comm and pulled the comm apart on a new HH crawlmaster.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor getting hung up? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting hung up Redcat1234 Redcat Crawlers 13 01-03-2012 04:48 PM
Hung brushes tim the toolman Axial SCX-10 10 12-14-2011 07:54 PM
Keep getting hung up on the tranny nightfiref7efi Venom Creeper 3 10-31-2009 04:12 PM
Hung up at McDonalds aubie Chit Chat 6 08-05-2005 01:42 PM