Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I need opinions on what ESC to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I need opinions on what ESC to buy

OK, so..... I just got a Berg BJ3 roller. I threw it together with whatever crap I had so I could go to a comp this weekend. It was fun, but obvious that Ive got a lot to learn still, lol.

Today the punk dig switch went bad. Whenever it powered up it would just run full speed in reverse (replaced the ESC and it still did it)

So i went ahead and tore it back down and am building it out the right way now.

So, my question starts with the ESC....

I Know I want to run a single esc (not much room for electronics in there!) and a digital hi-tech coreless servo, a CC BEC and probably an RC4WD dig switch.

Now in order to use the BEC and up the voltage to the servo do I have to have a programmable ESC that will run brushed motors?

RIght now I have a losi night crawler esc which has a drag brake and 2s lipo cut off, but I dont think I can use this with the hi torque servo and bec can I? Besides I want to run a 3s lipo. So this ESC is out.

Anyway.... PLEASE let me know how the hell you would "adjust" the output voltage of the BEC if I dont have a programmable ESC, or suggest a programmable ESC that WILL run brushed motors allowing me to adjust the servo voltage through my pc.

ugghhh my head hurts, but Im dying to do this the RIGHT way...

M.
maRRtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: I need opinions on what ESC to buy

Hmmm, where to start.

Your ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) has nothing to do with the external BEC, so whatever motor you're running, the ESC has to match it. IE: brushed motor...brushed ESC.

You will likely be using the external BEC to power your servo and the ESC can provide power to the Rx. You may have to run an additional BEC to run the dig, but you haven't stated your exact components yet. The bigger Castle BEC (20A) should be able to handle both, but both are programmable.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have responded below your comments in red...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maRRtin View Post
Today the punk dig switch went bad. Whenever it powered up it would just run full speed in reverse (replaced the ESC and it still did it)

I dont see how it is possible that your dig switch is capable of running a motor full speed reverse without the ESC running full speed reverse. I would check this out and make sure that is truly the case because I dont think it is even possible.

So, my question starts with the ESC....

I Know I want to run a single esc (not much room for electronics in there!) and a digital hi-tech coreless servo, a CC BEC and probably an RC4WD dig switch.

I would seriously consider running dual ESC's. You eliminate the dig switch and free up room for the second ESC and it is honestly the way to go. I had no problem stuffing 2 FXR's in my BJV4 so I know it is possible.

Also I would check the reviews on the RC4WD dig, most that I have seen have people complaining that the locked axle doesnt lock strong enough.

Now in order to use the BEC and up the voltage to the servo do I have to have a programmable ESC that will run brushed motors?

Like the above poster said, the BEC and ESC are independent of one another assuming you are using the external CC BEC you said you were going to.

You will want a quality ESC or ESC's either way and if it isnt programable it isnt quality.

RIght now I have a losi night crawler esc which has a drag brake and 2s lipo cut off, but I dont think I can use this with the hi torque servo and bec can I? Besides I want to run a 3s lipo. So this ESC is out.

Again the BEC and ESC are independent so you could use this ESC although the 2s limit is a deal breaker.

Anyway.... PLEASE let me know how the hell you would "adjust" the output voltage of the BEC if I dont have a programmable ESC, or suggest a programmable ESC that WILL run brushed motors allowing me to adjust the servo voltage through my pc.

CC BEC voltage is adjustable through the Castle Link PC interface, again independent of ESC. For ESC(s) Tekin FXR's are very popular in both dig and dual ESC setups and the Castle Mamba Micro pro's are popular with the Dual ESC crowd.

ugghhh my head hurts, but Im dying to do this the RIGHT way...

Hence my suggestion to bite the bullet and go dual ESC now rather than switching everything over later on when you realize you should have done it the first time.
So obviously your radio has a 3 position 3rd channel so even if it doesnt have mixing you can buy a dual ESC adapter that will use your 3rd channel signal to do the mixing on board.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

AWSOME.... thanks.

After learning that you can connect the CC BEC to castlelink by itself made it all make sense.

So I broke out my cliff climber and went ahead and wired one to the Losi speed control for now and upped the voltage on a hi-tech 645mg and set it to 6 volts. IT WORKS GREAT!!!

I have a DX3e with the 3 position aux channel, so now Ive got more reading to do to learn how to wire up dual mamba micros with a BEC.

Thanks again!

M.
maRRtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maRRtin View Post
AWSOME.... thanks.

After learning that you can connect the CC BEC to castlelink by itself made it all make sense.

So I broke out my cliff climber and went ahead and wired one to the Losi speed control for now and upped the voltage on a hi-tech 645mg and set it to 6 volts. IT WORKS GREAT!!!

I have a DX3e with the 3 position aux channel, so now Ive got more reading to do to learn how to wire up dual mamba micros with a BEC.

Thanks again!

M.
You have a couple options...1. You can try to find a hack kit for the DX3E that allows it to run dual ESC's. 2. You can get a dual ESC adapter like I mentioned before, there are a couple vendors on here that sell them 3. You can upgrade radios to either a hacked GT3B (great for the price $50) or a 4PL ($200) that allow for the proper mixing.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote

I need opinions on what ESC to buy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to buy an air brush...opinions? suggestions? Shadow Fox Tools, and Procedures 13 01-06-2010 09:57 AM
opinions on my next gun I buy? Mac10 Chit Chat 3 03-06-2009 05:11 AM
Opinions please on this ESC Tonsa Electronics 4 11-17-2005 11:48 AM
ESC Opinions musk-rat Electronics 3 09-19-2005 04:33 PM
mtroniks esc to buy or not to buy CRAWLOVERYOU Electronics 2 01-15-2005 12:57 AM