Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wire for LEDs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wire for LEDs.

So where does a person find a spoll of wire for wiring up LEDs? I have tons of LEDs and resistors and wire that appears to be too large. I found a spoll of thinner 22 guage wire at radioshack, but its solid copper wire, which I think will work fine, but I'm not sure if it will add more resistance since its so thick. Any tips?
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wire for LEDs.

I use servo wire, just pull the white or yellow off and you have a black and a red...Its also cheap and you can throw servo connectors on the end to plug into your RX if that is where you are getting power from.

Works killer!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You really don't want solid wire, it WILL fatigue and break off over time. You really want stranded wire.

Cheap fix, talk to an IT guy at work/school, or piss off a guy at Home Depot and get 1' of network cable (Cat5/Cat6 etc.....) and use the individual wires within as it's stranded.

Yes, a length of servo wire will work as well.

There is no "going too thick" on wire, other than getting it to bend or the weight penalty. Bigger wire (not the insulation, the wire gage itself) actually has LESS resistance than smaller wire.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
You really don't want solid wire, it WILL fatigue and break off over time. You really want stranded wire.

Cheap fix, talk to an IT guy at work/school, or piss off a guy at Home Depot and get 1' of network cable (Cat5/Cat6 etc.....) and use the individual wires within as it's stranded.

Yes, a length of servo wire will work as well.

There is no "going too thick" on wire, other than getting it to bend or the weight penalty. Bigger wire (not the insulation, the wire gage itself) actually has LESS resistance than smaller wire.

Thats a great idea, I think i have a broken Cat5 stashed away in the basement!
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Wire for LEDs. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easiest way to wire LEDs in body AdverseCity General Crawlers 3 01-22-2012 09:03 PM
little help with leds please!!! lordjasper1988 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 03-09-2011 05:14 PM
LEDs ABOW Electronics 0 09-21-2009 04:17 PM
Lipo wire smaller than ESC wire..problem? solomon7 Electronics 3 03-27-2008 08:45 PM
how do I wire red LEDs so it will light up during braking? ussprinceton2004 Newbie General 0 03-07-2008 05:33 PM