RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Did I fry my ESC? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/373318-did-i-fry-my-esc.html)

semnmrc 03-18-2012 06:39 PM

Did I fry my ESC?

Have a Novak Rooster Crawler ESC. It worked fine 'til today out running my crawler and after changing batteries reverse doesn't work. Forward works fine but when I hit reverse the green light on the esc flashes rapidly.
Is it cooked?
I did forget to turn the switch off before unplugging the battery, and caused a small arc when I plugged the other in.:oops:

Any thoughts?

korn_2956 03-18-2012 07:08 PM

Did you try recalibrating it.

ZippoMan 03-18-2012 07:30 PM

Re: Did I fry my ESC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by semnmrc (Post 3636477)
I did forget to turn the switch off before unplugging the battery, and caused a small arc when I plugged the other in.:oops:

Any thoughts?

Leaving the switch on won't matter. I cut my switch out and soldered the two wires from the switch together so it is always on. I plug my battery in and get little arcs from the connectors all the time. No problems with my ESC and I think lots of guys cut their switches out too.

Sorry I don't have any experience with your ESC. I have an Axial AE-2 ESC. I am also new to the RC hobby as of January this year. I am learning lots from this website and the internet in general.

semnmrc 03-18-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korn_2956 (Post 3636554)
Did you try recalibrating it.

Ya tried that a couple times.

Weird why it works great in forward.

Checked all the wires for breaks/cuts, none.

AR Fabrication 03-18-2012 10:38 PM

I'm not familiar with that ESC, but most other have settings that disable or add a delay to the reverse. You should check it too make sure.

ridepate 03-18-2012 10:43 PM

On most, not all, you will get a little spark on connect, especially with a loaded LiPo.

semnmrc 03-18-2012 11:10 PM

I found a more updated manual online. Gonna try to redo the throttle profile according to the trouble shooting guide. Also reverse enable/disable programming may have got changed, 'tho I'm not sure how.:roll:

semnmrc 03-20-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Track Rat (Post 3637066)
I'm not familiar with that ESC, but most other have settings that disable or add a delay to the reverse. You should check it too make sure.

I have gone through the enable/ disable process. Didn't help. Tried to reset it using the quick setup, no luck. tried the trouble shooting guide in the manual, it says to redo the reverse dissable/enable, which again I already tried.

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

semnmrc 03-23-2012 08:58 PM

Well I guess, according to Novak, It's a common problem. Forward, brakes, or reverse somtimes just quit working.

Sounds like I could upgrade for $55.

Anyone ever tear one of these apart and see whats inside?

SamuraiTrapper 03-24-2012 09:01 AM

Same thing happened to my Novak Rooster. I ditched it for the HH BR-XL. Too many problems with Novak ESC's for me to continue with them.

semnmrc 03-24-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiTrapper (Post 3646681)
Same thing happened to my Novak Rooster. I ditched it for the HH BR-XL. Too many problems with Novak ESC's for me to continue with them.

Ya, I kind of on the fence as to wether or not I want to go with them or not. Kind of thinking I'll see whats available and go from there.

semnmrc 03-31-2012 09:46 PM

Well, I opened it up. Found a chip that had come unsoldered. Soldered it back up, reassembled it , plugged it into just the battery, and the smoke started rolling!:shock:

Apparently they don't like it when you plug the circuit board in backwards:ror:!

Guess I get a new ESC!

MikeyBike 04-01-2012 10:03 AM

Welcome to the world of Novak. I smoked 3 different Goat 2s back in the day. Never again will I use Novak ESC's. On a good note, the took care of 2 of them under warranty even though they were past warranty time. And the 3rd was a minimal charge to repair. Their service is great, unfortunately I needed the service department too often.

semnmrc 04-01-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyBike (Post 3660872)
Welcome to the world of Novak. I smoked 3 different Goat 2s back in the day. Never again will I use Novak ESC's. On a good note, the took care of 2 of them under warranty even though they were past warranty time. And the 3rd was a minimal charge to repair. Their service is great, unfortunately I needed the service department too often.

Ipicked up a used rooster crawler esc today at the swapmeet. I'm familiar with the guy I bought it from, said it works great. Paid $20 so I'll take a chance.