RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Wraith disaster, RC4wd to the rescue? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/376318-wraith-disaster-rc4wd-rescue.html)

LTCirabisi 04-03-2012 02:17 PM

Wraith disaster, RC4wd to the rescue?

So i was out scaling the other day, just put some aluminum wheels on the wraith. while driving i discovered the hexes i had were binding against the axle and it ended up blowing my motor! well upon closer look the motor wire leads had somehow been touching and melted together.. now im not sure but i might have fried my ESC as well. Its the stock ESC in the Wraith.. and with the motor unplugged when i turn it on it makes no noises, just a red and green blinking light.

So just incase im looking at getting a new esc and i was thinking this one Outcry Crawler Speed Controller ESC with TurboBEC . Whats your opinions on this?

skerb 04-03-2012 02:54 PM

No lipo cutoff

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Harley 04-03-2012 03:09 PM

Re: Wraith disaster, RC4wd to the rescue?

The ESC won't make noise without the motor hooked up. The ESC might be fine, hook up a motor. Stay with a quality ESC, Castle or Tekin. No Novak or RC4WD ESC's.

LTCirabisi 04-03-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3665198)
The ESC won't make noise without the motor hooked up. The ESC might be fine, hook up a motor. Stay with a quality ESC, Castle or Tekin. No Novak or RC4WD ESC's.

i did hook up the dead motor back in just to see and nothing happened then... maybe i need an actual working motor then huh

meatmonkey 04-03-2012 03:36 PM

If the motor is locked up or has an open circuit than you won't hear any chimes.

If you looking to stay brushed, then you want a Holme BRXL. I have one in my SCX and it has such smooth low end for creeepy crawling, plus you can get it waterproofed for an extra $10.

If brushless may be in your future then you want a Castle Mamba Max Pro. I just installed one in my Wraith last week and am very happy with it.

Resist the urge to save a few bucks by going with a Castle SV2. If you run brushed motors off from it, it will die, and it won't run a sensored brushless, making it worthless for crawling.

I've had good luck with Novak systems in my go-fast bashers, but their crawling selection leaves a bit to be desired.

hoghead5150 04-03-2012 03:36 PM

on my wraith when i killed the stock motor i got nothing from the esc either. once i put in a new motor, the esc was fine and beeped like normal. not sure if the beeping comes from the motor (like i've heard before) or if the esc needs the connections thru the motor to get the chimes. either way, throw a good motor on it and check first!!

braq 04-03-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 (Post 3665249)
on my wraith when i killed the stock motor i got nothing from the esc either. once i put in a new motor, the esc was fine and beeped like normal. not sure if the beeping comes from the motor (like i've heard before) or if the esc needs the connections thru the motor to get the chimes. either way, throw a good motor on it and check first!!

Beeping is acoustically emitted from the motor (very short pulses that will not really turn it).
I'd say first determine what is "kaputt" and what works. Do you have either motor or ESC from another rig to check?

cheers

braq

Crawler King69 04-03-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braq (Post 3665256)
Beeping is acoustically emitted from the motor (very short pulses that will not really turn it).
I'd say first determine what is "kaputt" and what works. Do you have either motor or ESC from another rig to check?

cheers

braq

Where do you get this crap from?

benoj 04-03-2012 05:06 PM

he is right about the motor making the chime sound from pulses so what so called crap are you referring to?

dunerinaz 04-03-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benoj (Post 3665391)
he is right about the motor making the chime sound from pulses so what so called crap are you referring to?

Actually he's wrong. We're talking about the beeping chimes emitted from the ESC (when the motor is hooked up) when first turned on.

SMR 510RR 04-03-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benoj (Post 3665391)

X2! Do you see a speaker on your ESC anywhere?

666 04-03-2012 05:27 PM

The chimes come from the motor.

LTCirabisi 04-03-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666 (Post 3665429)
The chimes come from the motor.

oh... well that would make sense.. but how from the motor? idk. this is my one and only rig.....

LTCirabisi 04-03-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braq (Post 3665256)

cheers

braq

i know for a fact the motor is aS YOU say "kaputt". there was a rivet from the leads inside dropped down into the motor preventing it from turning, and it is completely locked up.

Harley 04-03-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerinaz (Post 3665423)
Actually he's wrong. We're talking about the beeping chimes emitted from the ESC (when the motor is hooked up) when first turned on.

How can you sound so sure and be so wrong at the same time? :lol:

Scattman 04-03-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3665490)
How can you sound so sure and be so wrong at the same time? :lol:

Right? :ror::ror: It's like the collective IQ of this place drops daily.

Charlie-III 04-03-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scattman (Post 3665502)
Right? :ror::ror: It's like the collective IQ of this place drops daily.

Then I show up and it drops 1000%.....:roll:

As stated, the motor (when connected) makes the "chimes".

Not quite sure why "RC4WD" should be interested (as the thread title insinuates) since it "appears" to be "user error".

Crap happens at times, most vendors here will either "fix an obvious issue" or "fix a minor user error". This thread sounds like neither to me.:cry:

LTCirabisi 04-03-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 3665740)
Then I show up and it drops 1000%.....:roll:

As stated, the motor (when connected) makes the "chimes".

Not quite sure why "RC4WD" should be interested (as the thread title insinuates) since it "appears" to be "user error".

Crap happens at times, most vendors here will either "fix an obvious issue" or "fix a minor user error". This thread sounds like neither to me.:cry:

i never asked where the beeping was. the motor is fried and my leads melted together so ii thought my esc was toast.