Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need radio advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Default need radio advice

ive always just used the radio that came with my cars and trucks. they are all getting old and not working to good any more. so i am looking for some input on choosing a new radio. im not looking for anything special just a better system than i have. hopefully one that i can swap between my three rc's. want to spend around 100 but ill just have to see what your input is.
thnefosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need radio advice

First you really want 2.4ghz.
Then decide how many channels you want need (likely you will want more later) and what you want them to do.
Model memory is worth looking at, makes it easier to swap between rigs.

I like Futaba, I run a 3PM-x 3 channel, but it has it's limits for dual ESC's (fixed with a WantAmix), my son runs a Futaba 4PL 4 channel. It's a bit better than mine.
Both are outside your budget, new.

The FlySky hacked GT3B could fit your bill. It's under $100, more RX's are cheap, lots of channels & options.
Read some of the support thread in this forum.

There are other radios (TQ's, Spektrum, etc.) but I don't use them so won't really comment on them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

thanks for your input. i will look into the radio that you suggested.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i run the spektrum dx3c. right about your budget and a good radio. has 3 channels with a 3 position third channel. can do 4ws if you wanted. it's nice, simple to use, and has most of the features normally needed. has i think 10 model memory and i run 2 rigs with mine. it is a good cheap solid radio system.

that being said, now that i've been in the hobby long enough i find myself needing more. would like 4 channels (to run winch, throttle, steering, 2 speed tranny) and would like the ability to mix dual esc's in a MOA rig. about the cheapest radio to do these things would be the futaba 4pl. it is a great system but around $250.

look up losikid here on the forum, or overkillrc.com he sells the flysky gt3b radio which you can have him hack for you. after the mods he can do to the radio you end up with a radio that can do up to like 6 channels, dual esc's, 4ws, all the bells and whistles for around the $100 mark. only downside to it is that these mods are done on a $35 radio system, so the fit, finish, and quality feel are not up to par with the other big brands.

if your used to using stock radio's and don't mind the feel of them, i would definitely check out the flysky. it's a great value, and losikid has outstanding customer service.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

i just watched a review of the flysky and it sound real good for the money. the rcs i have are a nitro 4tec, wheely king thats foff inspired, and a sportwerks mayhem st. as of right now i dont have nor see myself having a reason for more than the normal 2 channels. and for the price i am really considering ordering a flysky radio and two extra recievers.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

contact losikid at overkillrc.com i think he has the radio's for like $35. he also carries the extra recievers.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

need radio advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Advice DinPerth Electronics 7 03-02-2012 11:12 PM
advice/help with radio? George014 Electronics 5 12-25-2011 08:02 PM
Looking for a radio need some advice rquarte Electronics 16 09-15-2010 08:57 PM
Need New Radio Advice...Please Help theadrick Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 01-23-2010 03:45 PM
Radio advice GEARSCIENCE Electronics 7 09-05-2009 08:51 PM