RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   waterproofing a lipo battery (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/377036-waterproofing-lipo-battery.html)

CRAWLERJOE 04-07-2012 04:18 PM

waterproofing a lipo battery

Is it safe to plasti dip a lipo battery to try and make it waterproof?

Charlie-III 04-07-2012 04:22 PM

Re: waterproofing a lipo battery

Safe, probably.
Needed.....NO

The active parts of a LiPO are already sealed, the connection is the only part exposed. Unless you're running in water with a very high iron content, don't worry about it."thumbsup""thumbsup"
By the time you need to really look at waterproofing a LiPO pack, many other items are already messed up.8)

CRAWLERJOE 04-07-2012 06:47 PM

Oh!! Well the only reason I thought I would was because of the directions that came with the battery that said you shouldn't get it wet!
:D

mstuck 04-13-2012 03:59 PM

I was wondering about this too!,
Awaiting more input

YoUnG_vErSiOn 04-13-2012 04:36 PM

to answer your question...yes it is safe. and yes it is highly recommended...dont count on the factory seal to keep water out..your batteries are your investment, you want them to last...balnce them, and keep them protected...if you plan on driving in the water... i would highly recommend sealing it up..RTV works great, dielectric grease provides a non permanent solution...it doesn't hurt to have double protection. hope this helps some.

mstuck 04-13-2012 04:59 PM

how about sticking them in a balloon?
May be a less permanent way of doing it.

cherokee95 04-13-2012 06:54 PM

I would have to second the don't worry about it. If water could get in, so could air...air plus lithium equals fire. I have submerged my lipo batteries countless times and never had any problems.

DISTURBIN' tha PEACE 04-13-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstuck (Post 3682880)
how about sticking them in a balloon?
May be a less permanent way of doing it.

Non-lubricated condoms fit better than ballons.

I know everyone has extras!:ror:

sloppy 04-14-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee95 (Post 3683085)
I would have to second the don't worry about it. If water could get in, so could air...air plus lithium equals fire. I have submerged my lipo batteries countless times and never had any problems.

this is right.. the cells are sealed if they are not sealed because a "factory seal" fails odds are they are already on fire...

CRAWLERJOE 04-14-2012 02:56 AM

That's kinda what I thought! I'm a.bit of noob when it comes to lipo! I always stayed away from them after hearing everyone at the lhs talk about the dangers involved with lipo.

arevir 04-14-2012 06:32 AM

I could not believe that simple air would cause fire on a li-po only because in the whole time I been using them never hear of that, but is true you can read it on the Duratrax manual about li-po
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxz1...o-handling.pdf

Quote:

● ALWAYS discontinue charging a LiPo immediately if at
any time you witness smoke or see the battery starting to
swell. This may cause the battery to rupture and/or leak,
and the reaction with air may cause the chemicals to
ignite, resulting in fire. Disconnect the battery and leave it
in a safe, fireproof location (ideally outside).

honchozed 11-06-2012 02:28 AM

My right runs great in clean running creek water, everything is balloned. But when I get deep, roof deep on TSL Swampers 2.2's...it cuts out, everything lights steering throttle. As soon as it's out of the water it runs like the beast it is. Using a 1500MAh 3s LECTRON PRO softy. Am I losing power due to contacts in the pack between cells being submerge
?? Any help would be sweet as I enjoy goin deep but get frustrated when it sputters out.

Charlie-III 11-06-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honchozed (Post 4002117)
My right runs great in clean running creek water, everything is balloned. But when I get deep, roof deep on TSL Swampers 2.2's...it cuts out, everything lights steering throttle. As soon as it's out of the water it runs like the beast it is. Using a 1500MAh 3s LECTRON PRO softy. Am I losing power due to contacts in the pack between cells being submerge
?? Any help would be sweet as I enjoy goin deep but get frustrated when it sputters out.

What radio? I will guess it's a 2.4ghz. You are likely losing the radio signal and that's why it stops.

If it was water in the battery connection, it wouldn't "instantly dry out" when you get the rig out of the water.

C*H*U*D 11-06-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4002159)
What radio? I will guess it's a 2.4ghz. You are likely losing the radio signal and that's why it stops.

This is my guess too. Where do you run your antenna? When the truck is submerged, is the antenna underwater? You might want to raise your receiver so your antenna can be run higher in the truck.

Also, I don't waterproof my batteries and have not had any problems yet.

AddictedtoRC1 11-06-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 3672158)
Safe, probably.
Needed.....NO

The active parts of a LiPO are already sealed, the connection is the only part exposed. Unless you're running in water with a very high iron content, don't worry about it."thumbsup""thumbsup"
By the time you need to really look at waterproofing a LiPO pack, many other items are already messed up.8)

Coming from a guy who buys the more expensive batteries, I would think you would want to protect your investment. The active parts may be sealed yes, but corrosion will still happen and then you'll have a battery that is worthless.

I have 3 of my lipos plasti dipped because I know they will see water. They may be the cheaper packs, but if I'm gonna waterproof everything else, might as well do the batteries too.

P.S. Plasti dip is easier than carrying around Ph test strips. :lmao:

Charlie-III 11-06-2012 10:45 AM

Re: waterproofing a LiPO battery

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 (Post 4002421)
Coming from a guy who buys the more expensive batteries, I would think you would want to protect your investment. The active parts may be sealed yes, but corrosion will still happen and then you'll have a battery that is worthless.

I have 3 of my LiPO's plasti dipped because I know they will see water. They may be the cheaper packs, but if I'm gonna waterproof everything else, might as well do the batteries too.

P.S. Plasti dip is easier than carrying around Ph test strips. :lmao:

I don't run my rigs in water, thus not an issue for me.
We have plenty of guys in our group that run scalers, I'm not aware of any of them that waterproof their LiPO's and they don't have issues with their packs either (cheap or expensive).

PS, Ph is not a good test of iron in the water.;-)

AddictedtoRC1 11-06-2012 10:54 AM

Re: waterproofing a LiPO battery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4002489)
I don't run my rigs in water, thus not an issue for me.
We have plenty of guys in our group that run scalers, I'm not aware of any of them that waterproof their LiPO's and they don't have issues with their packs either (cheap or expensive).

PS, Ph is not a good test of iron in the water.;-)

Oh that makes more sense now. Advice about waterproofing from some one who doesn't run in water. :lmao::lmao:

greggreg2011 11-06-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honchozed (Post 4002117)

like charlie said if you have 2.4g thatll be why. 90% of 2.4g lose signal after a couple inches in the water and once you pull it out itll be fine....i dont know why but thats just how it is

TURTLE 11-06-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 4002232)
This is my guess too. Where do you run your antenna? When the truck is submerged, is the antenna underwater? You might want to raise your receiver so your antenna can be run higher in the truck.

Also, I don't waterproof my batteries and have not had any problems yet.

X2 sounds like you are just losing signal. check out Grizzly4x4 pepe build he added to the length of the antenna to keep it out of the water. And I still don't do anything to my lipos and they work fine. Still running the same lipos I have been dunking in water for 3 years with no issues."thumbsup"

Dostradamas 11-06-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE (Post 3683244)
Non-lubricated condoms fit better than ballons.

I know everyone has extras!:ror:

I only have flavored & ribbed.
Only prostitues carry Non-lubricated cause they lube & install oraly.