Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Why use an external power supply?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Default Why use an external power supply?

I did a search and could only find threads asking which power supply, but I couldn't find anything on why.

My chargers are extremely old and don't support lipo (as far as I know), and it seems every power supply thread has to do with lipo..

But why use a power supply? If your charger plugs into a regular wall outlet, what's the point?
sedative is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Why use an external power supply?

If you have an AC/DC or AC only charger, there isn't.

The DC only chargers tend to have the ability to charge at a higher rate as they aren't limited to the internal power supply. Most of the higher end chargers are DC only as well.

An external supply simply allows people to use the chargers where AC power just isn't feasible.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I just bought one of these today.
Finally a nice charger with the AC power supply built in! It will also do DC as well.
It won't do big high capacity batteries . None of my batteries are larger than 3S 2200mah right now.

Hitec X4 AC Plus Four-Channel AC/DC Multi-Charger (6S/6A/50W x 4) [HRC44167] | Electric Accessories - A Main Hobbies

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A power supply is typically used when the charger doesnt have an AC supply built in like others have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I just bought one of these today.
Finally a nice charger with the AC power supply built in! It will also do DC as well.
It won't do big high capacity batteries . None of my batteries are larger than 3S 2200mah right now.

Hitec X4 AC Plus Four-Channel AC/DC Multi-Charger (6S/6A/50W x 4) [HRC44167] | Electric Accessories - A Main Hobbies

Let me know what you think after using it for a little while. I have been seriously considering buying it but Im having a hard time justifying the cost. Currently I have 3 chargers, 2 cheap HK ones and a hyperion. My biggest fear is that it will need to be repaired at some point and then I will have all my eggs in one basket.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Granted this is a DC only charger, I've been using this thing for several months now with great results.

Thunder Power T6 Multi charger

Thunder T6 Multi-LiPo Battery Charger (4X 6-Cell) Professional Balance Charger/DisCharger w/ LCD Display

I bought this along with their 30 amp power supply with no issues.

G350 Power Supply

Combined price of both charger and supply is under $130.

These Thunder chargers seem to use the same "operating system" or menu set ups as the Hitec and Dynamite chargers.

Capable of charging every battery I own.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
A power supply is typically used when the charger doesnt have an AC supply built in like others have said.

Let me know what you think after using it for a little while. I have been seriously considering buying it but Im having a hard time justifying the cost. Currently I have 3 chargers, 2 cheap HK ones and a hyperion. My biggest fear is that it will need to be repaired at some point and then I will have all my eggs in one basket.
The Chinese version cost like 50 bucks less...if your wondering. (skyrc is the actual manufacture)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well, this will get argued until we are all blue in the face.....but DC power is cleaner when it comes to charging batteries. Years and years this has been argued in the racing circles.....long and the short of it, every track in the world has power now pretty much, yet all the top chargers still use DC...

Now, the easier reasons........DC chargers are cheaper to make...no AC power parts inside, money saved. Portable too, as they can run off a car battery along with being smaller from the lack of parts inside compared to an AC unit.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. Makes sense now. One more question since you guys are on the subject of chargers.. How can I find out if my charger can charge lipos? Its an old school charger, I'm pretty sure it's a Dynamite Mega Peak 2 AC/DC with alligator clips.
sedative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Well, this will get argued until we are all blue in the face.....but DC power is cleaner when it comes to charging batteries. Years and years this has been argued in the racing circles.....long and the short of it, every track in the world has power now pretty much, yet all the top chargers still use DC...

Now, the easier reasons........DC chargers are cheaper to make...no AC power parts inside, money saved. Portable too, as they can run off a car battery along with being smaller from the lack of parts inside compared to an AC unit.

Later EddieO
Im not up on all of this stuff and the AC is just so convenient. So are you saying that the DC coming out of an AC to DC supply is not as clean as direct DC from say a 12v car battery? Is an external power supply somehow better than an internal power supply built into the charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
The Chinese version cost like 50 bucks less...if your wondering. (skyrc is the actual manufacture)
I looked a bit the other day and didnt find any that were similar to the X4 Plus. I did a search and found the SKYRC QUATTRO B6AC for 179 vs the X4 Plus for 219, the $40 isnt that big of a deal and I would rather have hitec service for that small of a price increase.

I did read something where someone opened up the regular x4 and one of the cheaper versions from another source and he said that they were very different internally. I guess everything from the componenets to the wiring were different internally.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Quote:
Im not up on all of this stuff and the AC is just so convenient. So are you saying that the DC coming out of an AC to DC supply is not as clean as direct DC from say a 12v car battery? Is an external power supply somehow better than an internal power supply built into the charger?.
AC to DC will create a rough dc power, as where a battery will have a smooth flow of current.

AC works by pushing power through, then pulling it back. When you convert it, your keeping the power from flowing backwards so you get gaps of power. when the ac line isn't pushing power into the converter.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

most of the built in power supplies are only 50-100 watts. for larger capacity batteries or anything over 3s this typically means they can't charge at a full 1c.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
AC to DC will create a rough dc power, as where a battery will have a smooth flow of current.

AC works by pushing power through, then pulling it back. When you convert it, your keeping the power from flowing backwards so you get gaps of power. when the ac line isn't pushing power into the converter.
I would think there would be a capacitor in the power supply that would smooth the flow of power during the reverse cycle. Figure the typical home 110v in the us is cycling at 60hz, a capacitor should be able to smooth that out so that its barely noticeable. Maybe I am wrong.

For my purposes I doubt there is any difference and the convenience is worth it.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

DC power from a battery is supposed to be the cleanest. Typically the power supplies will do a better job of creating DC power than the internally built units into a charger.

AC power in general is just really really dirty power.....its why you see high end audio guys spend thousands of dollars on line conditioners for their setups....

Later EddieO

Quote:
Im not up on all of this stuff and the AC is just so convenient. So are you saying that the DC coming out of an AC to DC supply is not as clean as direct DC from say a 12v car battery? Is an external power supply somehow better than an internal power supply built into the charger?

I looked a bit the other day and didnt find any that were similar to the X4 Plus. I did a search and found the SKYRC QUATTRO B6AC for 179 vs the X4 Plus for 219, the $40 isnt that big of a deal and I would rather have hitec service for that small of a price increase.

I did read something where someone opened up the regular x4 and one of the cheaper versions from another source and he said that they were very different internally. I guess everything from the componenets to the wiring were different internally.
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
I would think there would be a capacitor in the power supply that would smooth the flow of power during the reverse cycle. Figure the typical home 110v in the us is cycling at 60hz, a capacitor should be able to smooth that out so that its barely noticeable. Maybe I am wrong.

For my purposes I doubt there is any difference and the convenience is worth it.
Yes, they use capacitors to smooth it out, but its still rough.

Think about it this way, you have a row of buckets on a conveyor belt. 1 is empty, then one is filled 100% full, then one is empty then one is full. Can you use a hose to fill each empty bucket so its 100% full the nanosecond its in front of you. The answer is no, it takes time to fill up the empty bucket and if its not in front of you long enough it doesn't get completely full. So put it back in electricity terms, your flow of power is in like a mild wave.

You can get very very low ripple converters and such, but they tend to get very expensive.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Yea that makes sense...This has me thinking if I should go with the regular x4 or clones with a power supply or the plus...Hmmmm.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yea that makes sense...This has me thinking if I should go with the regular x4 or clones with a power supply or the plus...Hmmmm.
Some of those clones still have the programming problems that will blow up your lipos. Be careful
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
RCC Addict

For me it's just a matter of money and convenience.

With the AC/DC converter separated from the charger...
- The charger is cheaper. (Already owned a converter.)
- I don't have to replace both if one is broken.
- I can use the charger pretty much where I want to.

If I was to use one charger stationary at home, and another "on the go", the stationary charger would be AC only.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I have both. I only really use the AC charger for my friends or someone needs to borrow a charger that doesn't know or want to hook up a power supply and DC charger
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote

Why use an external power supply? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Controller - Relay Driven - External Power heyok Vendors Electronics 90 08-21-2019 09:30 AM
Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger TwistedXT Electronics 166 05-22-2019 07:28 PM
RC Lighting Control Using External Power heyok Vendors Electronics 33 01-18-2018 11:07 AM
High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply MANTIS Electronics 14 08-09-2006 03:33 PM
Using a computer power supply to power up my charger.... AYKBOBCAT Electronics 15 03-30-2005 07:41 PM