Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin fxr cut wire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Default Tekin fxr cut wire

Ok, so im very new to this, and just started pickin up RC about a year ago. Please excuse the amature talk when it comes to this Thread, and im hoping this is the correct spot that I should put this-

I have a Axial SXC10 kit, I put in a tekin FXR and a hand wound 35t motor, with a CC external BEC. After about 1 month of open trails, I decided to put all my electronics (ESC, BEC, and receiver) in a water proof box, even tho I already have them plasti dipped, just for added protection. The box is black, just happened to be the only color I could find that fit perfectly. From what ive read it is very hard to get the Tekin FXR over heated, but I still decided to put air holes in the top just for air flow. My plan was to just take a dremel and just put 2 or 3 1/2 inch holes in the top. Since the box is black, and could not see into it, I was hoping/praying I wouldnt hit any of the wires with the dremel tip... I was wrong, I just KNICKED the white wire leading from the ESC to the receiver. It is a braided cable so I was hoping there was enough of the wire left to hold current enough for it. I seperated it away from the rest of the wires and turned on the ESC. Everything was working fine, (all the lights on the ESC were working with full throttle and full reverse) but within about 15 seconds the ESC started getting very hot. I turned it off and now am looking for help. My main question is - Is the only solution cutting all 3 wires and soldering on a new end that goes into the receiver box, (another option just cutting that part out, but still soldering them back together). Any help or advice is majorly appreciated, and any criticism I will take for this stupid mistake on my behalf.

Just know, Please reply like you would a 3rd grader. I know barely enough to get by in the first place. And dont want to waist your time asking to explain something I should know, but dont.

thanks-
firemedic349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Got Worms?

Default Re: Tekin fxr cut wire

It should be fine...how big is the nick?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The 3 wires going to the RX from the ESC are to:
  1. White-Signal wire, gets trottle signal from radio to ESC so it knows what to do.
  2. Red-Sends power from ESC's internal BEC to the RX to power it.
  3. Dark Wire (Im color blind)-Ground, used for both signal and BEC.

That being said, I dont see a reason why having a poor signal from the RX to the ESC would make the ESC get hot unless it was getting some crazy noise or something that made the esc go forward-backward over and over. That doesnt mean that you shouldnt fix it, I would do either of the suggestions you had, cut the bad section of only the white and put it back together or cut all of them short...Depends on where the damage is and how long you need the wires to be.

I think your heat problems are somewhere else but fix the wire first and see if that helps. Also, if you are running the BEC to the RX like Castle's wiring diagram then you need to pull the red wire out of the harness going from the ESC to the RX, if you dont the two BEC's will fight one another and end up causing problems.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

The truck is nothing extraordinary, SCX10 honcho kit, lifted about 2 inches, and longer links for a longer wheel base, Tekin pro 35t motor, and fxr. Spektrum SR300 RX with a hitech 7955tg. As of now no lights, but I will be putting just a LED lightbar when i find one I like. I do have 2.2 mickey thompson tires with a few ounces in the front, and even less in the back.

I most likely will end up cutting out the white wire from the ESC. Thanks for the Info on removing the red wire leading from the ESC to the RX, but I do already have that done. Took me about 2 hours of googling to find out what that meant when I first got the CC BEC.

If it makes a difference I will be running with 2, 2s lipo batterys. I used ro run with just one in the only place I could find a spot but the COG was just to high for my truck. So as of now im making 2 plates to go on either side of the middle of the truck (i guess you could say on top of the nerf bars) to lower the COG about 2 inches, and even weight distribution. Being that the white wire is the signal wire, I dont see why it should matter, but id rather give more information then less.
firemedic349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I nicked a wire on my Sidewinder. Just opened the case desoldered the wires and soldered in a new cable. Had to solder under a magnifying glass lamp but it wasn't too hard.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekin fxr cut wire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekin fxr lipo cut off setting dusty sweep Electronics 16 06-12-2016 03:30 PM
Mamba Max , Tekin FXR or Tekin FXR PRO? TheHeadHunter Electronics 21 06-21-2012 08:15 AM
Tekin FXR; Servo wire replacment losikid Electronics 15 09-08-2011 12:41 AM
Tekin FXR wire size cliffhanger007 Electronics 23 11-03-2010 02:37 PM
Does the gage wire matter for Tekin FXR? Rocksolo Electronics 5 02-21-2009 03:27 PM