Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is Spectrum where it's at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is Spectrum where it's at?

I have a Futaba 3PM and am tired of the non 2.4 lifestyle with this crawler. I woud like to switch to a DX3C but want to make sure it can do the stuff I need it to. I'm very specific on my 4 wheel steer.
Question: On the 3PM, I can switch it on the 2 position 3rd ch. to 4ws. I can press another buttom to be rear steer only while 4ws is one. I can adjust a trim during rear steer and have crab steer. Can the DX3C do this as easily or easier?

I assume so, but want to be sure considering i have not owned a Spectrum.

Thanks
ah_5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Got Worms?

Default Re: Is Spectrum where it's at?

No, none of the Spektrum radios can do that...

you can get similar to that on a hacked gt3b though. but it be a 3 position so left is front only, midddle is 4ws, and right is rear only. Then you can assign another switch to turn crab on/off....also on the 3 way, you can set it up to be a smaller step than 100, and at the values inbetween -100,0,100 it is a bias mix so one servo or the other will only turn a percentage of the other.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

gt3b was my other thought.I've thought about getting a prehacked one. the downfall is it just doesnt seem to have the same support if there is a problem with it.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I wonder (and wish it had) why the acoms 4ch never caught with crawler crowd? granted when i bought mine about 6 years ago it was only available in fm 40mhz freq. which i think isn't legal in the u.s. , but even after, there was a 2.4 version. the 3rd and 4th channels are -100 0 100 and fully adjustable epa's, so you could have dig, 4ws, crab and anything in between, i still have mine in the fm version, to bad it's a pia to get extra receivers, it was about $99 back then with 3 standars servos, this is the only radio i use for my supers now, although i own dx3r and gtb3, they don't hold a candle to this older radio IMHO
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_5500 View Post
The GT3B was my other thought, I've thought about getting a prehacked one. The downfall is it just doesn't seem to have the same support if there is a problem with it.
How much support do you need?

1-The "hacker" already replied to this thread.
2-There is a thread here JUST FOR the GT3B.
3-There are templates for quite a few set-ups, plenty of people to ask if you run into an issue.
4-Last, but not least, LosiKid will work with you "IF" you even have an issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
.... I'm very specific on my 4 wheel steer.
Question: On the 3PM, I can switch it on the 2 position 3rd ch. to 4ws. I can press another buttom to be rear steer only while 4ws is one. I can adjust a trim during rear steer and have crab steer. Can the DX3C do this as easily or easier?

I assume so, but want to be sure considering i have not owned a Spectrum.

Thanks
Although the OP is asking for something specific that can't be done with the hacked gtb3 or the dx3c he is asking about.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Although the OP is asking for something specific that can't be done with the hacked gtb3 or the dx3c he is asking about.
I think it can be done the way he mentions...but off the top of my head it would be a very complex program that i'm not sure exactly the best way of approaching without studying the manual. I think, that the trigger and steering wheel plugs will have to be swapped on the main board, so the DIG mix can be used as its more powerful than the 4ws mix when it comes to getting a button todo one thing....and i would assume it be simpler for the op and easier to program to just keep front/4ws/rear in one switch instead of separating it into two

Also if he really wanted it to work that way, it wouldn't be hard to add it to the next fw release
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
gt3b was my other thought.I've thought about getting a prehacked one. the downfall is it just doesnt seem to have the same support if there is a problem with it.
Lets see here,

GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

1626 posts in that thread, and 568 of them are mine, and abunch of my replies answer more than one question...plus i easily spend 2 hours or so everyday answering pms and emails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
How much support do you need?

1-The "hacker" already replied to this thread.
2-There is a thread here JUST FOR the GT3B.
3-There are templates for quite a few set-ups, plenty of people to ask if you run into an issue.
4-Last, but not least, LosiKid will work with you "IF" you even have an issue.
3. Yea, i need to make more templates, but if the ones i have don't work for someones setup, i will right a new one
4. Yes, as long as it was hacked by me or hacked with my products, i'll fix it at price of parts, If the issue was because of me, i'll fix it for free...i've also sent out quite afew free mods if someone messed theres up while trying to install them, and i've installed stuff for free before as well if the customer couldn't figure it out or messed something up.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

well when i had 4ws on my wraith (and the dx3c) it worked something like you mentioned. i used the 3 position 3rd channel to control the 4ws. one way turn right, center was center, other way turn left. then i uesed the 4ws mix to either have the rear work the same direction as the front, or opposite the front. now if you leave the 4ws mix screen up on the display while you are driving you can use your thumb to turn the mix off and use the 3 position switch to turn the back manuallly, once you center the rear you can use your thumb to turn the mix back on. not ideal but worked.

personally i would skip the dx3c and go with either the futaba 4pl or the flysky.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

these are some good points. I guess I'll be looking more into the flysky. I like my futaba 3pm but it twitches bad and seems to not get a good signal. I'm thinkin that the reciever is going bad? Also, which it shouldnt matter, the 3pl is ungly. Also, I've read it cant be programed the same as the 3pm.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Futaba is probably the best radio system out there. Is you have the $$ look at the 4Pl or 4pks. If your not that rich, the flysky is a great option
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Yashua

After using many Spektrum radio's I finally dropped the $200.00 and got the 4PL and it's a totaly new experiance .
I do know that there are quite a few that have Losikid's radio too, and it seems real good, I just have'nt had one.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Do you think the reciever going bad is why mine might be so twitchy or is it just time for a new radio. It used to not be so bad.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Yashua

I've noticed that if the batteries are even slightly low the spectrum will get twitchy.

Quote:
Do you think the reciever going bad is why mine might be so twitchy or is it just time for a new radio. It used to not be so bad.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote

Is Spectrum where it's at? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spectrum dsm R1Buggy G-Made Crawlers 2 01-20-2012 12:31 AM
Spectrum DX5E PileDriver Electronics 0 05-20-2010 07:00 PM