Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor turns???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Motor turns???

How to know how much turns have a motor if I have not any specifications of it??? How to know how much RPM is it??? I’m considering to use a motor out off a cordless drill, a Power Tools, just as an experiment and the only I know about this motor it runs with a 12V battery and is Johnson brand.
Could I use a brushed ESC to control it??? I have a stock LNC ESC and a HH BR-XL ESC, could I use any of them to run that motor without problems???
Any comment and suggestions welcome
Thanks guys
El Vasco
EL VASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Default Re: Motor turns???

Get a model number off the motor iff possible, then Google it. You could always open it up and count. If I had to guess, I'd say it has high number of turns, because drills tend to require high torque.

Last edited by DogSpoon; 06-09-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Really bad typo
DogSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Even with RC motors, there is no good way to tell the turn count without pulling the wire off.
Even if the motor had a part number on it, it would be tough to get specifics on turns or RPM/volt speed.

If it's a brushed motor (likely) then there are lots of ESC's that can likely handle it. Try it but check ESC & motor temps.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogSpoon View Post
Get a model number off the motor iff possible, then Google it. You could always open it up and count. If I had to guess, I'd say it has high number of turns, because drills tend to require high torque.
Thanks DogSpoon, it’d be a good way to get some info about this motor, I’ll try when I get the motor!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Even with RC motors, there is no good way to tell the turn count without pulling the wire off.
Even if the motor had a part number on it, it would be tough to get specifics on turns or RPM/volt speed.

If it's a brushed motor (likely) then there are lots of ESC's that can likely handle it. Try it but check ESC & motor temps.

Hey Charlie!!! How are you man!!! Do you remember me??? Time ago you were helping me with motor and esc issues and now I got another question you are here again, thanks man!!!
You know you method will be the most correct but I don’t want to pull all the wire off to know the T’s of my motor, I'd have no more motor then I think I’ll go with your second suggestion, I’ll connect the motor to one of my esc’s and will test it controlling esc and motor temp
When I get my test done I’ll come back here just to let you know how it was going.
See you and thanks for helping me in this one too!!!
El Vasco!!!
EL VASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I remember you.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor turns??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moa: Front motor turns before rear motor bl8zn Electronics 10 11-29-2009 10:15 PM
Motor Turns Greatscott Electronics 6 05-22-2009 09:02 PM
motor turns corvette crawle Electronics 3 08-23-2008 08:34 PM
AX10 motor?? and motor turns speed vs torque landy-ross Electronics 16 06-19-2008 12:50 PM
Motor Turns BlackSheep Electronics 2 07-03-2005 10:05 PM