Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

Justgot everything hooked up and took it out for a short crawl. Didnt get too crazy as i still need to run the battery leads and secure said battery. But i have say i am impressed, she creeps along just as pretty as you please and has great power. waiting on my progamer, stan didnt getit in the box, no biggy, $@#% happens. One thing i hope to correct is the lag when i pin the throttle, its about 1 second, but is annoying. also the brake is not rightand the re ers dely needs to goo bye bye. oh and i need to crank the revers speed lol.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #42
RCC Addict

I've noticed the same. I find that it's got a little bit of a delay forward to reverse, or when I'm in regular mode (forward/brake/reverse) it will stall from time to time after going reverse. I'm wondering if I'm just used to crawler without any delay and running in regular mode just requires getting used to again.

What motor are you running for your tests?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #43
RCC Addict

The sp crawler master L
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Should have read further back to see that

Anyway, can you try something for me? I have the Crawler Master L as well and it does't seem to run any different with the sensor cable attached or disconnected. Do you see it run differently (smoother hopefully) with it connected?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Hey, just checked his site and he has a new 120a esc coming out called the LT4. Wonder if he's taking advantage of the redesign that the family of controllers that is from went through. I do know he spec'd out some better stuff for the ones that ship with his name.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #46
RCC Addict

it is super smooth, it will creep along just as pretty as you please. I did bench test it and it seemed to have alot of cogging, but once it was in the truck, it runs like a dream.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #47
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Hey, just checked his site and he has a new 120a esc coming out called the LT4. Wonder if he's taking advantage of the redesign that the family of controllers that is from went through. I do know he spec'd out some better stuff for the ones that ship with his name.
The LT4 should be out fairly soon. I get to try to kill one in my sc10 4x4. Should be fun.

And yes, he spec's out better components when they're built. Some come from right here in the USA.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #48
RCC Addict

well he is like 3 hours from, i like that, local company in my book, midwest proud
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
it is super smooth, it will creep along just as pretty as you please. I did bench test it and it seemed to have alot of cogging, but once it was in the truck, it runs like a dream.
What does it do if you unplug the sensor cable? What I'm trying to figure out is if the sensor board is bad in my motor. Mine seems to stutter before it gets turning then turns ok.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The LT4 should be out fairly soon. I get to try to kill one in my sc10 4x4. Should be fun.

And yes, he spec's out better components when they're built. Some come from right here in the USA.
Sounds like a good time. You going to run that with the new Holmes motor?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #51
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Sounds like a good time. You going to run that with the new Holmes motor?
Nope, I won't get to do that until sometime this fall. Besides, I'm out of the crawler game for a short bit and wouldn't have anything to put it in at the moment.

I'm going to run a 3000kv Tacon for the time being, mainly on 2s but I'm going to try 4s just for giggles. I'm also going to pull the fan and run it without at first just to make sure I'm extra brutal on it.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
RCC Addict

I will try it tomorrow but I get nothing like that plugged in
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I just finished installing the BH 120 amp ESC in my Blitz today. I only got two packs through it, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Running a Tekin Pro4 geared 25/88 with Sky 4000mah 30C 2s packs. It will literally stand the truck straight up from a WOT takeoff. Rolling wheelies as long as you dare hold them.

At the end of the packs the ESC is cooler than the battery or motor. I'm running the out of the box programming and feel no need to mess with it. Very smooth takeoff, easy to modulate brakes.

My only complaint is the fan already sounds like it's on it's death bed. But I've yet to have any RC fan last longer than a few packs.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #54
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I'm running the out of the box programming and feel no need to mess with it. Very smooth takeoff, easy to modulate brakes.

My only complaint is the fan already sounds like it's on it's death bed. But I've yet to have any RC fan last longer than a few packs.
The ROAR mode (what it ships with) is great for those with thumpin' motors, and it keeps the noobs from cranking the dials up to 11 before they get a chance to try it.

The fan on the first one I got pooped out in just a few days. The fan on the second one is still going strong after a few weeks, but I'm like you, I've never had a fan last very long.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
I will try it tomorrow but I get nothing like that plugged in

did not try it, once i finally got home, but but hit the couch and just kinda stuck there, lord is it hot.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #56
RCC Addict

It was ridiculous yesterday too heat wise. Today is cooler and later in the week will be even hotter.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #57
RCC Addict

I am hosting a crawl here on the 7th, already moved it back to start at 3 in the afternoon, i bet it still too freaking hot out. guess i better re read lipo guidelines in relation to heat. seems like this could cook nearly anything.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #58
RCC Addict

I haven't even run to LVC and wondered what your guys ESC's did. Do they cut off like the Castle or something like that? I'm at work with the car and letting people drive it while I'm working but I don't want someone running the battery past LVC and damaging it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #59
Suck it up!

Yup, it'll eventually shut down once the voltage gets too low. I think I've only let that happen once. 99% of the time I catch it before the esc does. It's fairly easy to notice.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #60
RCC Addict

I am in love with this programmer, i have nothing to compare it too other then the crappyly written applications I deal with on a daily basis at work. i even sent Stan an E-mail and gave him props for a well written app.

i do still get the delay when I hit reverse still, this is defiantly not a crawler minded ESC, i do wonder though if when he releases his next model if he will have an updated firmware for this one.

After i played with the programmer last night i got started on tearing down my axles, i didn't even think about testing with out the sensor. my pinions are missing teeth, so i have to wait till i get my parts, hopefully in a few days.

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM