Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

Looks like his web site is down..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #62
Suck it up!

Works for me...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I keep getting this:

Server Error

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #64
RCC Addict

What address are you going too?
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
What address are you going too?
brushlesshobbies.com

I've been there several times before and now I get that error Guess it's a PC issue..
Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #66
RCC Addict

It's working now. Brushless R/C Buggies, Trucks, Helicopter, Electronics, Transmitters, Parts & Accessories Store
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Another quick update. For those wondering what the LVC does it kills the motor and you're done once you hit it. For some reason when I checked my battery I was at 3.7v/cell and I thought I had set it to 3.4v/cell.

I also ran the heck out of the motor/esc yesterday in 100+ temp in Raleigh (I think we had the record) and the ESC was warm, but never got to 123ouch. I could hold my hand on the exposed parts of the heatsink indefinitely. Also, the motor wasn't that hot, but I did stick a fan on it. Surprisingly the 540 sized motor was getting pretty hot in my 1/16 Traxxas Rally. I think it's really a 380 with fins on the can to make it look like a 540 though.

Performance is very smooth still. Take off with high traction tires is controlled and fast. Still need to play with traction control settings more. I also need to get that 1000kv sensored motor hooked up to it and the 3800 4 pole motor too. Still haven't had time.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Ok, been playing around with programming today. The ESC ships with the V1 508 no timing firmware loaded. This is also called blinky mode by some racers because it prevents you from doing any timing adjustments. Please note, this program has a lag when going from forward to reverse and vice versa. From what I can tell, it needs to see zero motor rotation for a period of time. It felt weird because the car would seem to get "stuck" for a second and then go just fine. My guess is that it's really intended to be race mode with forward/brake only and not use reverse.

I tested about 3 of the programs and the I liked most was the V2 528 mod firmware.

With the V2 528 Mod firmware you are allowed to do timing boost. Honestly, I don't know much about timing boost (I know what it's for and how it works, but don't have any motors that could benefit from that), but will report back when I start messing around with it. I did play around and managed to get it to do reverse with very minimal delay (much less than 508 fw). You do need to have the settings right though:

drag = 100%
max brake = 100%
ddrs = 6*

max reverse = 25
initial brake = drag

v2 528 mod

Still don't see a ton of difference in the start power setting (DDRS) but I'm guessing it's like the launch power settings on other ESC's. After getting it all put away I realized I should have tested with something less than 100% drag brake because in anything but a comp rig we usually don't use a ton of drag brake. I actually like my Wraith with about 50% drag brake. I'll try drag brake at less than 100% but with the settings from above.

I also recalibrated the ESC after each firmware upload.

1. Hold red button, turn on
2. Radio in neutral, press red button, hear 1 beep
3. Radio in full forward, press red button, hear 2 beeps
4. Radio in full reverse, press red button, hear 3 beeps
5. Turn off ESC

Also, be sure to keep EPA, DR, and Expo set to 0/100 (whichever puts the settings to none of those on your radio). I have an FS-GT3B and needed to set them back to default when programming.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #69
Suck it up!

Any brushless motor can benefit from Boost or Timing, it just depends on what you want to do with it. One of those (can't remember which) won't start to ramp up timing until you've held the trigger at WOT for a certain amount of time. I could certainly see a use for that in crawling...say you want minimal timing to keep things cool under normal driving circumstances, but want some extra kick when you put the hammer down.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 07-02-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #70
RCC Addict

I'm taking vacation the second half of this week to do a garage makeover (pimp my garage) and should get time to play with this more. I'll stick the sensored motor in the Wraith and see what it does with the timing stuff.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #71
RCC Addict

it's funny i saw this post over here. i was just looking at the thread about this over on URC (i didn't have enought interest to go through 100+ pages though...) and these look interesting. i am on the market for a motor system for my stampede, and think i may try this. even though it is about the same price as the 120A toro controller i was looking at, at least this one i won't have to wait a couple of weeks for!!

Duuude, any hint's on if he is going to be selling motors to go with these anytime soon??
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #72
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
it's funny i saw this post over here. i was just looking at the thread about this over on URC (i didn't have enought interest to go through 100+ pages though...) and these look interesting. i am on the market for a motor system for my stampede, and think i may try this. even though it is about the same price as the 120A toro controller i was looking at, at least this one i won't have to wait a couple of weeks for!!

Duuude, any hint's on if he is going to be selling motors to go with these anytime soon??
The LT4 specs out better than the Toro and has free shipping.

I can neither confirm nor deny if there are or are not any Brushlesshobbies.com motors in existence, in development, or in the testing phases. I will also not be able to show you what currently powers my short course truck.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

I can neither confirm nor deny if there are or are not any Brushlesshobbies.com motors in existence, in development, or in the testing phases. I will also not be able to show you what currently powers my short course truck.

well that is too bad...................

I need to start playing with firmware on this thing lol.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
ohhh, nice!!! sounds like i should be able to put a nice overkill motor in my 2wd pede!!!

Quote:
and come on, can you give us at least ONE of these numbers: 4 or 6....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #75
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
and come on, can you give us at least ONE of these numbers: 4 or 6....
4 or 6 what?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Any motor can benefit from Boost or Timing, it just depends on what you want to do with it. One of those (can't remember which) won't start to ramp up timing until you've held the trigger at WOT for a certain amount of time. I could certainly see a use for that in crawling...say you want minimal timing to keep things cool under normal driving circumstances, but want some extra kick when you put the hammer down.
OK, I'll bite. Can an ESC add/remove timing from a brushed motor? I thought it was only a brushless motor option.

No, not a trick question, just asking.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #77
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
OK, I'll bite. Can an ESC add/remove timing from a brushed motor? I thought it was only a brushless motor option.

No. I guess I was a little bit too general in my "any motor" statement.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #78
RCC Addict

I think the BH ESC will only run a brushless motor anyway. In all the settings I've played with the option to switch to brushed is always grayed out.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

I bet if you made us some fancy brackets you could mount a servo to the endbell on a motor so you could adjust the timing with the trim on the servo. Basically, unbolt the endbell and then servo at 0 is 0 timing then turn it slightly and you get more or less timing on the fly.

I know it's off topic, but would be pretty cool.

The one thing I don't exactly get is that with some brushless motors you can also mechanically adjust timing and then the ESC will also adjust timing electronically. I guess since it knows where the spinning parts are in relationship to the coils, it's easy to decide when to turn on the juice and thus adjust timing.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #80
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
The one thing I don't exactly get is that with some brushless motors you can also mechanically adjust timing and then the ESC will also adjust timing electronically. I guess since it knows where the spinning parts are in relationship to the coils, it's easy to decide when to turn on the juice and thus adjust timing.
Some race classes will let you run timing on the motor but not in the esc, since it is much more adjustable. I think the BH esc is capable of 70*+ if you max everything out. Bad for motors, great for hand grenades.

The esc can not know where the rotor is if it is not sensored, it has to guess. That is kind of what cogging is...the esc is putting out blips of voltage and if the rotor isn't in the right spot it just jumps around.

A sensored motor can tell the esc exactly where it is at, so things work way smoother. I can just barely squeeze the trigger on my sc truck and it'll crawl across the driveway just as slowly and smoothly as any of my crawlers could.

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM