Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
No. I guess I was a little bit too general in my "any motor" statement.
Like I stated, not a trick question, just wanted to ask. I was assuming it was a BL thing, but curious to see if I was missing something.
Thanks for the positive response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I bet if you made us some fancy brackets you could mount a servo to the endbell on a motor so you could adjust the timing with the trim on the servo. Basically, unbolt the endbell and then servo at 0 is 0 timing then turn it slightly and you get more or less timing on the fly.

I know it's off topic, but would be pretty cool.
Yeah, you "could do it", likely not worth the weight or complexity.

I'm not a vendor, thus I would not even discuss "thinking" of that option let alone suggesting I could/would do it.

PS, mounting a modified spur gear to the outer rim of the endbell with a small stepper motor with gear to rotate it would likely be a better way to do it. LOL.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Like I said, probably better to just let the ESC do the timing
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
and come on, can you give us at least ONE of these numbers: 4 or 6....
Quote:
4 or 6 what?
number of poles in BLH's "experimental" motors...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #84
Suck it up!

Quote:
number of poles in BLH's "experimental" motors...
What motors?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #85
RCC Addict

I haven't heard anything about experimental motors. I know he sells motors on his site so just check those out. Right now they are listed as place holders on the site, but when he has them in stock they will be available for purchase.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
What motors?
Quote:
I can neither confirm nor deny if there are or are not any Brushlesshobbies.com motors in existence, in development, or in the testing phases. I will also not be able to show you what currently powers my short course truck.
haha.... i am awaiting to see what is coming then...

anyway, i am going to pull the trigger on this speedo on thursday, and hopefully find a domestically available tenshock 4 pole motor...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #87
Suck it up!

Quote:
anyway, i am going to pull the trigger on this speedo on thursday, and hopefully find a domestically available tenshock 4 pole motor...
Good deal. You'll love it.

Check out the Tacon motors. IIRC they also make a 4 pole. I was going to pick up one for my 4x4 sc10 but there wasn't enough fundage in my PP account so I went with the long can 3000kv. Second Tacon I've owned, both are solid.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #88
RCC Addict

.......holy crap!!!!!!!! Flash v2 mod and got all my settings right.....I am in love with this esc. Has the speed of my stock redact on 9.6 volt and like 10 times the power. I am scared to see what a 3s does to the creeper drive train. No delay between forward and reverse here. She is instant, think I need to back the break off, she damn near endos when I stop lol.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
.......holy crap!!!!!!!! Flash v2 mod and got all my settings right.....I am in love with this esc. Has the speed of my stock redact on 9.6 volt and like 10 times the power. I am scared to see what a 3s does to the creeper drive train. No delay between forward and reverse here. She is instant, think I need to back the break off, she damn near endos when I stop lol.
Did you use the v2_528_mod firwmare or a different v2? I played around then my preschooler got overly interested and testing with any sense of organization went out the door.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #90
RCC Addict

just the one in the database, I thought it was 508, but it may have been 528. I get no cogging, super smooth creeping and a ton of power. now I have not tested the latest changes on a true trail, the current changes were made after I got home. While I was on the trail I was noticing some issues with when I would get up on a obstacle, just as I was about to get over it, the system would seem to shut down and the rig would free wheel backwards. now my controller was low on power and could have been glitching, or it could have been how I had my turbo boost RPMs set. At that time it was set at 15K, I have now set it to either none or 3000, I can't remember which, if none is a option in that drop down, that is the setting. if you want i can do some screen shots of the settings.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Yeah, why don't you post up your crawling settings so others that get it can get there faster. Since Duuuuuude, you and I have been playing with it, we may as well post the working settings here.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #92
RCC Addict

agreed, i will grab them to night, I need to hook back up and back the break off. I may also set the boost response higher, I dunno, I am the fence about that one...maybe i just need to be a better driver........the wraith guys manage it.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #93
RCC Addict

ok, so this may sound like a dumb question, but since i am going to order this speedo, and it is a 120A controller, does that mean i have to run a motor that has a max current rating of 120A? would this controller be too much for a 540 sensored motor? most of those seem to run in the 45A maxx current range. would this controller send too many amps to the motor and smoke it? once again, sorry for the noob'ish question, but this is my first time going brushless and not just using a pre-boxed combo...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

No it means the esc can handle the load from the motor up to that spec, that 540 motor should have no problem with the esc
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #95
RCC Addict

only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #96
RCC Addict

ok, one more issue, does this vendor ship USPS, or some other method? it keeps saying there is no shipping option for my address! i occasionally get that message when i try to order stuff that is shipped by methods other than USPS (mostly because we live in a small town where you have to go down to the PO to get your mail).
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #97
RCC Addict

i thought mine came USPS....but it might have been UPS......
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #98
Suck it up!

Quote:
ok, one more issue, does this vendor ship USPS, or some other method? it keeps saying there is no shipping option for my address! i occasionally get that message when i try to order stuff that is shipped by methods other than USPS (mostly because we live in a small town where you have to go down to the PO to get your mail).
Pretty sure its UPSP. Email Stan if you're having issues.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #99
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
While I was on the trail I was noticing some issues with when I would get up on a obstacle, just as I was about to get over it, the system would seem to shut down and the rig would free wheel backwards.
Are you running sensored or sensorless?

If it's senorless, chances are the motor is stalling and letting go. I had the same issue trying to crawl with both a VXL and a little EzRun motor.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #100
RCC Addict

sensored , which is why i thought glitch. thought this is the same motor that ik632 was having issues with. what you describe is exactly what it was doing. i would get to the top of a obstacle, stop for a second to let it settle and just as i was about to punch the throttle, it would loose the break and roll back, generally rolling and crashing hard. sometimes it would just roll down hill a bit and i would pop the throttle a few times and it would come back. I did also notice last night after i posted that, that the sensor was pulled out slightly on the motor side, maybe it was not reading properly. also, I have extended my cable and it is running through a connector in the side of my electronics box. research suggested this would effect the readings, but i wonder if the added resistance could cause an issue.

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM