Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

i ordered mine yesterday! i am excited to get it. stan is a great guy to deal with. he helped me out with my website issues with the shipping for my address, and shipped it the same day! it should be here on tuesday! OK to SWPA in 3 days, not too shabby!!

also, where do you get the programming software for this speedo? does stan email it to you, or is it a general program out on the web?

and....

even though this is only a 120A esc, could this handle running an 1/8th scale buggy? the specs only list it as being able to only take 3s, but could it take 4s and not cook?
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #102
RCC Addict

He should email you.

So mine seems to have lost some settings since the last run on wensday. Not sure what the deal with that is. going to take my laptop tomorrow just in case.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #103
RCC Addict

holy crap is stan fast! i just ordered my unit thursday afternoon at almost 3PM eastern time, and it is down at my local post office this morning!!!

it just sucks that my brother in law is using our truck to go to work at the moment, and i won't be able to get down there until monday...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
Holy crap is Stan fast! I just ordered my unit Thursday afternoon at almost 3PM eastern time, and it is down at my local post office this morning!!!

It just sucks that my brother in law is using our truck to go to work at the moment, and I won't be able to get down there until Monday...
Bicycle dude.......

Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #105
RCC Addict

Okay, i see what is going on. I crawl up on a obstacle and stall. then i go to pin the throttle, if the motor is right at the turbo kick in RPM, the ESC reads the motor as stalled out and stops pushing power, so not forward and no drag, the truck then free wheels back. I could fix this by cranking the boost start RPM way up, but i need the wheel speed, i think the best fix would be to allow for boost start RPMs lower then 3000 RPMs, say 500 to 1000 or even instant. other then that, i love this thing.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #106
RCC Addict

I dropped Stan an e-mail inquiring about a new firmware with the turbo setting either instant or even with some settings below 500 RPMs.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #107
RCC Addict

So, does the turbo setting just increase timing at a certain RPM? If so, could you just turn it off and set the timing to whatever you need? I'll be doing RC stuff this weekend so maybe I'll get around to swapping that ESC into my Wraith with the brushless motor I have for it. It's only 1000kv so with my 2s battery that's maxing out at 8,400rpm seems pretty slow but should be able to gear up.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #108
RCC Addict

I never could get the turbo shut off completely, I made things better, but never resolved. maybe it is just kicking up the timing, that explains a lot, I assumed it was controlling voltage output. Maybe I need to set my base timing to the same as the turbo??? or something like that.....
Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Which firmware are you using? I remember seeing that there were a few that didn't include the turbo boost setting. I think those were for sanctioned racing. It might be worth checking those to see if one allows you to disable the boost setting yet add timing. I'm at work now so can't check the settings.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #110
RCC Addict

good idea, i would still like the function of delay, but worth a shot i guess. I'm at work too, will check it out tonight.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #111
RCC Addict

i finally got mine yesterday! damn is this thing small!! it looked much bigger on the screen!!!

i like that stan throws in an extra sensor cable! so far in my motor shopping, it seems that a lot of the motors come with a sensor cable. now i just need to wait for my lipo and "deans" connectors to get here from hobby king, and get to the LHS for some bullet plugs!

another question i am wondering, is since this is a sensored/sensorless ESC, would a sensorless motor be adaquate for just bashing around in a 2wd stampede?

i also think i am going to order a my new charger from stan, too! i am in need of an upgrade from my .8amp/hr charger i have been using for my 1000-1300mah crawler lipos, now that i am running a 5000mah lipo!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #112
Suck it up!

A sensorless motor is just fine in a basher or racer. Have fun!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #113
RCC Addict

okay, talking to Stan about this, but now i think the 528 mod is fine. here are my settings.

I tried all the other programs tonight, before i started i tested the truck. it was still doing the boost delay. so I went through all of the programs and came back to 528 mod as it had the options i was after. i flashed it, set it and tested. it did exactly what i wanted for about 4 minutes, then started delaying again. I flashed to a different program, flashed back to 528 mod and set it again, ran it around the floor and it was fine. didn't revert this time. so I pulled the power, discharged the the system, let ti sit, powered back up and tested. it was fine. i am going to let ti sit till tomorrow night and try it again. it's like it is not holding it's programming, but when i would look at it after it started acting up, all the settings where fine. no idea.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #114
Rock Stacker

Make sure your flashing it twice, HW stuff needs the firmware to be loaded twice also..
FreakyT333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
Make sure your flashing it twice, HW stuff needs the firmware to be loaded twice also..
Do you have one of these or is that something you have found to be common with flashing firmware to this type of ESC?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #116
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
I've never had to flash twice, though I often do out of paranoia.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've never had to flash twice, though I often do out of paranoia.
me flashing just once is usually enough for most people!!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Stan and I are discussing this. Saturday it started miss behaving. I shut it down for most of the day then ran it that night and it was fine with no reflash between. No idea what is going on, but it seems to get better each run.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #119
RCC Addict

Quick note, for those testing sensored brushless with the motor on the bench, you'll need a load on the motor for it to perform properly. I stuck an old stripped pinion on the motor and held the pinion with a rag and you can see night and day that the sensored stuff is working very nice. The motor even has a totally different sound when sensored and when unsensored.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #120
RCC Addict

okay, so last time i ran my truck, it was performing fine. and when this rig preforms fine, it is a magical thing LOL. I think all the issues i have reported are limited to my rig. next time i need a brushless ESC, it will be a brushlesshobbies.

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM