Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

Any of you guys have one of these? The price looks pretty good and specs are nice. I can't tell if it's a rebranded one or one of their own. I'd use it in my Wraith and my Traxxas 1/16 Fiesta.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

This?..... Brushless R/C Buggies, Trucks, Helicopter, Electronics, Transmitters, Parts & Accessories Store

I see nothing listed as to drag brake. Unless you're running a worm drive crawler, you REALLY want drag brake.

It also does not state if it has "instant reverse".

Oh, and nope, I've never run this ESC.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 06-12-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added "instant reverse" comment.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I emailed them about a crawler program for it. Not sure if the form went through properly though. I'd need some drag brake in the Wraith and definitely instant reverse.

That's the one though.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Any response from them?
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, from my research I have found that it has drag brake. If I can find out if it has instant reverse, Ill get one..
Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I talked with the guy there (Stan) and he sent me the programmer guide/manual to read over. Looks like it has instant forward to reverse. It also allows drag brake up to 100% and interesting enough, allows an initial brake power too. So, if you want it to slow a little more gently you can set 50% and then it will ramp up to 100% right away.

I also read over on URC (there's a 100+ page thread about that ESC) and it appears that it's made in the same factory that does the HobbyWing high end stuff and some of the Speed Passion ESC's (and believe it or not, some of the fancy "brand" name ones). Anyway, the Brushless Hobbies controller does have some different caps and parts so it is a bit different than the HobbyWing XeRun but does allow you to program it with their program card.

I just got the ESC and USB programmer and price was very good. I'm going to run it in my 1/16 Traxxas and Wraith. It wasn't exactly clear how it handles motor direction reversing so if I can't get it to go the direction I need in the Wraith I'll just flip the diffs.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Also, it ships from the Midwest of the USA so I hope to have it next week. Only thing is I have to wait for my new receiver and motor to go in the 1/16 which is where I was going to start with it. I guess I could stick the new motor in the Wraith but all I have lying around is a Castle 3800kv 4 pole motor which would eat the Wraith for lunch.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Got a reply from Stan:

I asked:

Stan,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my main question is does the system offer drag brake and instant reverse. And, will it reliably push the tekin pro4 3300 motor on 3s lipo. The wraith will be geared low for trails and crawling not overgeared for speed runs.

Thanks Again!!

He said:

Chris, I don’t know of any with “instant” reverse. Reverse is a function of transmitter settings and ESC neutral range. If you mean one tap, not two for reverse, it still wouldn’t be instant, especially in sensorless as the ESC commands the motor to rock the rotor a pulse or three to determine its position to know which way to fire the pulsed phases to go the intended direction via electronic feedback to the ESC from the motor via the leads. Some call it cogging, it’s not.

Stan

The guy is talking in circles and obviously doesnt do crawlers so I just ordered the mmp

Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I think Duuuuuuude runs one. Heard good reviews on them though. It's my next esc purchase.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I think Duuuuuuude runs one. Heard good reviews on them though. It's my next esc purchase.
Yup, I'm actually one of his sponsored racers. Also wrote the instruction manual.

I don't think Stan knows squat about crawlers (I'm hoping to change that at some point), so the terminology probably goes right over his head, and I don't know many racers who use instant reverse so it wouldn't be something he would be familiar with anyway.

I have not put one in a crawler yet so I don't know how well the drag brake works, or how instant the instant reverse is. Since it uses the same programming as a Hobbywing/EZRun/etc it would be a safe bet that it functions exactly like they do.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sweet, don't remember a complaint about the written manual. Seriously, that is a compliment... Some manuals originating in the english language are still bad.

Judging from this:
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-13-v2.pdf

There's a crawler mode as well as 100% drag.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Sweet, don't remember a complaint about the written manual. Seriously, that is a compliment... Some manuals originating in the english language are still bad.

Judging from this:
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-13-v2.pdf

There's a crawler mode as well as 100% drag.
Crawler mode is just instant reverse. No double bump.

Thanks for the compliment...took me two weeks (off and on) to rewrite it from scratch. There were at least 4 or 5 revisions IIRC. A definite PITA but well worth it. Still needs a little fine tuning though...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Guess Ill try one next time. It looks really good for the money. I got impatient and ordered a mmp instead..
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Guess Ill try one next time. It looks really good for the money. I got impatient and ordered a mmp instead..
I run one in my sc10 and another in my heavy sc104x4. Neither have given me even the slightest hint of a problem.

I'm hoping to pair one up with HH's new sensored outrunner this fall.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 06-15-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I should have mine early next week. I'll do a small write up in this thread about it. Initially I'm going to run it with my 1000kv Speed Passion crawler motor in the Wraith. I'm thinking now that might be too slow, but will try to gear it up higher and see what I can get out of it.

The ESC will also be used in my 1/16 Traxxas with a Castle 3800 4 pole and I also picked up a Tacon 3900 2 pole motor that will have less torque. We'll see which one I like better and will run that.

The programming (and Duuuuuuude's manual) show that you can set drag brake to 100% and then initial brake force. I sorta like that idea because as you let off the throttle it should tip into the brakes a little smoother.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I look forward to seeing the review.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I would think initial brake force would be for racing where you pull back for brakes. Initial force would set the power they start at.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
RCC Addict

That's a good point Indiana. I'll need to play around and see what I like for settings. Apparently there are many different firmwares available for the ESC and need to figure out which one works for me.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
RCC Addict

So, I ordered this on Thursday at lunch time and the mail man just delivered it today! All I can say is it's awesome buying from a seller in the USA! Now need to solder connectors on it and program it and see how it runs. I'll take pictures of what I got and post them up shortly.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Ok, soldered Castle 4mm bullets on to motor leads and Traxxas plug on to battery leads. It's been a while since I did the bullets but they were pretty easy.

Castle bullets:
1. Tin the end of the wire
2. Cut so it's just a wee bit longer than the hole
3. Stuff it in the connector
4. Hold iron to exposed part of tinned end
5. Feed solder in through hole until you see flux bubbling up through the hole.

I'm sure this is overkill, but feels pretty solid. After that I put shrink tube over the thing and let it overlap the end a little. Once shrunk down you can trim the excess off with a hobby knife.

Traxxas connectors I do the following.
1. Tin leads
2. Tin connector (just a touch of solder)
3. Place connector on my soldering board (a piece of old bamboo flooring with grooves in the back side)
4. Place tinned lead on connector and press iron to the top of the lead until the solder melts again
5. I'm righty so I hold the iron in my right hand and I hold the wire in my left so it's steady
6. Blow in the connection to freeze the solder
7. Rinse and repeat for other side.

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM