Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MMP and sensored motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
RcBros Hobbies

Default MMP and sensored motors

I'm having some buyers remorse with my current brushless setup in my Wraith. I currently have a MMP and 13.5T.

I'm not at all happy with the power performance of this setup. Crawl speed is fine but the MMP just doesn't want to communicate with the tekin to get the boost and timing settings a tekin will.

I didn't realize the difference until this week when I was able to witness it verse the same setup but a tekin esc..

I'm also interested in getting the Hyperion 13.5T but upon research this motor is strictly labeled that it will not communicate with the MMP. Is there something I'm missing.

I know a bunch of guys that run the MMP with a Pro4 but I'm beginning to think that its simply impressive because its a Pro4 not because the esc settings.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: MMP and sensored motors

I tried a MMP on my losi with an epic 17.5 and ended up going back to the tekin esc. No matter how I set up the MMP, my truck was no where as smooth as it was with the RS.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I was under the impression that the only guys that made it so you had to use their stuff together was Novak. Timing should be timing, but then again Tekin probably tuned their esc settings to work better with their motor out of the box. I certainly wouldn't put that out of the question.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
RcBros Hobbies

Sounds like I'm not the only one then. Anyone experience better results?

Wondering is the Hyperion 13.5 would work?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have an MMP and a 10.5 tekin in one rig and a 13.5 in the other. I don't know if I did anything special but I like the performance of mine. I don't know anyone that has this setup with a tekin esc to compare either. Both of mine are SCX10 scalers and are very quick.

Last edited by RCROCIN'; 06-12-2012 at 08:49 PM.
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I am talking a bit out of turn here but I have the mmp with a sensored novak in my sc truck. i really like the performance of it, but the sensor wire has fallen out a few times and it has turned to crap quick. I did not do anything special with it either as far as setup goes.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
RcBros Hobbies

The more the better, just trying to discover why my system is so boring when I feel it should be ripping.

My wraith is light and low and the combo won't even pull a wheelie which I feel it should.

I drove a sportsmans truck with the same motor and a tekin, the boost was set and it crawled slow but when the boost was in it could spank my wraith.

I've tried cranking the mmp settings with no positive effects to performance.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
JSN
Quarry Creeper

have you tried cheat mode?
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
rik
RCC Addict

i ran a mmp with a ballistic 18.5. i think it did ok. performed much better than the goat 3s with the same motor. that was in an LCC tho, the low end was great, but it still had that snap of power when needed.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Manufacturers set up their motors with different board timings. Tekin places their boards around 30 degrees. LRP places their boards around 37.5 degrees. Castle doesn't make sensored motors so their sensored timing profiles from their speed control may be different. They may be expecting more or less timing from the board. Play around with the timing on the can and see if that can help. Less timing for low end torque, more timing for top end speed. More timing will create more heat overall, less timing will create less top speed.

Get the RS, it is the most advanced esc. The sensored only mode gives best performance overall, especially when setup with the hotwire to your preferences. I have never heard of the RS not working with any motor. The RS will also run in sensorless only or hybrid mode where it uses sensored timing on the bottom and then switches to sensorless at higher rpm.

Last edited by z50king; 06-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote

MMP and sensored motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S JohnRobHolmes Electronics 1174 02-27-2023 02:29 PM
Sensored MMP Stuttering Badly. Ideas? Tommy R Electronics 51 03-13-2013 01:28 PM
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM
MMP & Tekin sensored 13.5 issue hasbeen Axial Wraith 10 11-01-2011 07:32 PM
Sensored Motors cyberdog Electronics 1 01-08-2010 01:33 PM